Colorado Emissions question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1994 80 Series. Owned since around 2008. 198k miles. New catalytic converter in 2008. Emissions not due until February but with new emissions standards starting 1/1/21 I decided to get an early test. Failed first test on Nox. at 5.78. Standard is 4. Passed HC at 1, standard is 2. That test run with ethanol fuel, timing at around 12 btdc, tires around 28 psi, overdrive off and ETC off. Second test failed again on Nox 5.25. Co .84. Second test run with straight gasoline, no ethanol, timing at 5 btdc, Tires at 40psi, overdrive off and ETC on. Couple of questions:
Any hints as to how to get Nox down.? It's been as low as 1.6 on previous years' test. I know it's caused by high combustion temperatures or pressures, above 2500 degrees and I believe the EGR system is designed to reduce those temperatures. I've had no check engine lights in the last few years and no known problems in the EGR system. Is there a method for forcing the EGR on to keep combustion temperatures down?
Anyone ever got an emissions pass exemption from Colorado for an 80 series? I think you have to spend around $700 on repairs to qualify. Is this a good option?
Is there a super duper catalytic converter which will reduce emissions more than the OE style?
Anyone know a good 80 series emission tech in the Denver area?
Anyone know exactly how the new 2021 CARB emissions standards will effect testing for 80 series? I did some googling but couldn't find any details. When we bought our 8, the NO standard was 9 and the CO standard was 4, so passing standards have been cut in half since 2008. If the standards are tightened any more it seems it may become impossible for an 80 to pass the Colorado emissions test.
General irritation: the tests seem wildly unpredictable. In 2016 it failed due to a bad gas cap. Nox on that test was 3.14 I drove 1 mile to a parts store, bought a new gas cap and returned for a second test, all within 15 minutes. Second test, Nox was 1.7. WTF?

Just inspected the vacuum lines/hoses. Hose running from charcoal canister over to the area under the intake manifold was disconnected. Anyone have any idea if this disconnected hose would effect engine emissions? Maybe lower vacuum overall inhibiting the operation of the EGR system??

Borrow some 35" plus tires and they'll just do a visual inspection and check your OBDII for readiness and skip the sniffer test all together. :cool:

Test can vary a lot depending on the foot of the guy driving it on the dyno. I have failed for NOX and fixed with new cats in the past.

According to AircareCilorado, if large tires are not OE, an idle test will not be authorized.

That hasn't been my experience.

Following…I also have a ‘94 that will be going in for emissions testing this winter/spring in commie Boulder County…

Following…I also have a ‘94 that will be going in for emissions testing this winter/spring in commie Boulder County…
If the new 2022 standards are tighter for 94’s it might be wise to get your test in December. You can test up to a year in advance of the registration renewal date.

If the new 2022 standards are tighter for 94’s it might be wise to get your test in December. You can test up to a year in advance of the registration renewal date.
Yeah, but my $hitbox won’t be able to drive to the emissions place for a while. Haha it’s currently in pieces spread across the garage floor.

So, dumb question: are you getting the vehicle thoroughly warmed up before the test? Like a good fifteen minute freeway drive.

Sounds like your cat is bad
How would a person tell the difference between a failing cat and malfunctioning EGR? Would a failing cat also produce high HC readings?

You got property on west slope or front range area without emissions? I didn’t have emissions when I lived outside Netherland
My buddy had the same issues as you, finally figured out he was only running on 5 cylinders, one of his fuel injector plugs was not fully seated

Here are the new standards. It’s going to be difficult for an 80 Series to pass.

25908EEC-5198-484E-BE92-6058A904EC19.png

Last edited:
The above is not correct. Here are the new 2022 standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom