Cold Weather Starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj55-100

SILVER Star
Threads
So once again the cold is finally here . i know i am not as cold as others and hope the sty will share some tips on how to start a cold Pig . it was 15 last morning and 17 this morning . it seems like anything under 20 I have a hard time making it catch . i have a dual battery set up and that helps some .my problem is the supercharger is really lean on start up . So what have others done where it is really cold . would a block heater help ? or a oil pan heater ? . i looked at a block heater in years past and cant find a good one to fit the toyota 4.7 engine . indoor parking is forbidden as the girls have all the good spots locked up . is there a good way to keep the pig warm at night .

I use block heaters on all my diesels, they do work great. I'd try to figure one out rather than a pan heater, I believe the water warms the block easier than oil on the pan. In the old days I used a 100 watt light blub and threw a blanket over my VW deck lid, it did the trick.

EDIT...I think someone makes a heater to go in line of a rad. hose.

. i looked at a block heater in years past and cant find a good one to fit the toyota 4.7 engine

Look at the Generac Extreme Cold Weather Block Heater for 150-Watt Automatic Standby Generators that ties into the heater hoses. For under $150 this could be plumbed in during the winter months and removed in the spring if you needed to.

Generac Extreme Cold Weather Block Heater for 150-Watt Automatic Standby Generators with 6.8 l Engine-5667 - The Home Depot

Hotstart Engine Block Heater Type 500 Watt 120 Volt 500W 120V Option 80-100 F TPS051GT8-000 - Power Systems Plus, Inc.

More info. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0ahUKEwja6PK6nPbXAhWK7IMKHQFtBWIQFgjLATAH&url=http://soa.generac.com/manuals/0056180/0G6446A&usg=AOvVaw2sxiyiuHj8_jpfGn4mND_W

Last edited:
i have a few blocks lying around , i may have to see why they say it does not fit . this is what has stopped me in the past

Cuddle with it?
Move to San Diego?
Im not helping, sorry.
i am mentally alergic to california , 40 years in the san fernando valley , finallly escaped from LA , BUt its not all bad looks like the whole place might burn down soon

yea definately a charger related problem . my other 4.7s start fine ... oil according to j macks list is pretty far up on the list. replaced every 1000 miles needed or not . It just is lean on the scantool data list and will barely pop off and die after 3 attemps it will catch and all is good .. fuel pressure is 46 psi all the time .

useless without pics
20171202_113229.jpg

they want it in the second hole back on the pass side , and the motor mount lives there

Supercharger? My wife doesn’t even have a credit card...

It hasn't even got really cold here, yet, and I can tell my Holley 2300 converted 2F could benefit from carb pre-heat. Anyone have ideas on how to get this done? I suppose I could just grab an air cleaner off a junkyard car and run some heat duct to the header....

yea definately a charger related problem . my other 4.7s start fine ... oil according to j macks list is pretty far up on the list. replaced every 1000 miles needed or not . It just is lean on the scantool data list and will barely pop off and die after 3 attemps it will catch and all is good .. fuel pressure is 46 psi all the time .

I don't know, does the 4.7L have a cold-start injector? Or is that too old school? Does it just widen the pulses? What temp is the ECU seeing when you go to start?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom