Coastal Offroad Front Bumper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had an offroading mishap where I pushed my stock front bumper into a dirt wall. The factory supports crumpled like tinfoil, and the bumper pushed up into the trim. I couldn't believe how easily it bent.

20201107_165928.png

I could have straightened out the stock bumper, but I wanted something beefier with more protection for offroading. In looking around at options, this front bumper from Coastal Offroad caught my eye: 80 Series Land Cruiser High Clearance Front Bumper Kit | Coastal Offroad. It is a DIY weld-together kit, made from 3/16" steel, and only weighs 72 lbs. So after a few days, the kit arrived:

20201125_132424.png

The bumper mounts using 6 bolts on the bottom of the frame rails and 6 more on the sides. I tacked up the center section without much trouble but did have to enlarge one of the bolt holes on the side a little to get it to mount.
20201127_181848.png

Then I started on the driver's side wing. One thing I noticed is their template seems to be based on a de-flared FZJ80. I had to angle down the side wings a little lower than the level of the center section to avoid contacting the flares, which required grinding on some of the pieces to get them to fit flush, because the angle was off.
20201128_133530.png

Another issue (not mentioned anywhere on their site) is that you absolutely must relocate the AC dryer, otherwise you can't even build the bumper. I pushed mine out of the way by bending the lines, but it is nearly horizontal and I'm considering relocating it up into the engine bay.
20201128_170427.png

Reserved for pictures.

Definitely following! I haven’t purchased it yet, but on their web sight it does appear to have been designed for the diesel cruisers and I don’t think their ac is the same on the gas. Also, the truck in their pictures is a de-flared truck. I’ll be asking them in my emails to see what’s what. Looks awesome tho! Can’t wait to see it finished!

Cool, I've been looking at this one too. Their site says they are glad to customize, and I have been thinking about asking for one with fewer holes. Just realized the ones I want to eliminate are actually their CO logo. They might not want to do that. Thanks for the info, following along.

Jason

Cool, I've been looking at this one too. Their site says they are glad to customize, and I have been thinking about asking for one with fewer holes. Just realized the ones I want to eliminate are actually their CO logo. They might not want to do that. Thanks for the info, following along.

Jason

You may want those CO holes to reach the clutch lever on your winch. Unless you run the Warn with the electronic engage/disengage.

You may want those CO holes to reach the clutch lever on your winch. Unless you run the Warn with the electronic engage/disengage.

Yes this is from their website:

What are the two parallelogram-shaped cut outs in the front of the bumper for?

Most of our front bumpers have two cut outs in the center upper portion. These are there to provide access to your winch clutch and to view the winch drum while spooling the winch cable. We can omit these cut outs by request, but we do recommend keeping them if you plan to run a winch. To omit these cut outs, simply leave a note in the comments section when placing your order.

I tacked up everything really well, and then welded the center section. I stitch welded the inside and fully welded the outside, will grind down the outside smooth later. That was a lot of welding! I tried to balance welding on the inside and outside to minimize distortion, hopefully it didn't warp too bad :nailbiting:

20201212_112513.jpg

20201212_112235.jpg

just finished mine as well

Nice! What did you do with the AC dryer?

you can see a pipe cut in half where it is sorta protecting it

Did you notch a hole into the wing? I had zero clearance with mine so had to bend it out of the way.

Any tips before I start?

A few pieces look the same as others, or look symmetric from top to bottom, like they could go either way, but they are not. If it doesn't seem to fit right, double check the diagram carefully before you weld it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom