Coal Mine Cruiser Classic 2007 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got back from a weekend in WV mountain biking. Gotta figure out where my coolant is going before planning this weekend. On the trip down, a little over a quart disappeared in 200 miles. Then another quart driving to mtn bike and back in the space of a mountainous 60 miles. Then about half a quart in the 200 mile trip home.

:mad::mad:

On the good side, looks like a new fan clutch kicked my overheating issues in the pants. No needle movement (I know, so what?) on the temp gauge the whole way down and back.

Seems like a head gasket loosing that much coolant would show milky-ness on the dipstick. You can't find a hose leak anywhere?

Have you done the Pesky Heater Hose yet?

Any *smoke* coming out the tailpipe? White maybe?

Seems like a head gasket loosing that much coolant would show milky-ness on the dipstick. You can't find a hose leak anywhere?

Have you done the Pesky Heater Hose yet?

Any *smoke* coming out the tailpipe? White maybe?

It was losing coolant last week, too, back and forth to Harrisburg a couple times. Checked the oil dipstick on Friday--looked fine. Checked the oil fill cap and that was fine, too. I'll check the dipstick again tonight.

Checked the exhaust repeatedly, no smoke, no smell.

I did replace about 12 coolant hoses a little over a week ago, but not the PHH or the two little hoses behind the valvecover against the firewall yet. I can't see where something is leaking but sometimes I can get a whiff of coolant in the cab.

I don't think a crawler box is really necessary in an auto 80. that's why you have 2 feet and a torque converter!

It will be an interesting comparison to watch Chris' truck vs. a non-crawler 80, but I bet he'll be snappin' stuff off before the weekend's out.

well, a hose is MUCH better than a HG, so lets hope that's what it is!

Check the rear heater lines under your truck as well. I've heard they can rust up in our *salty* environment.

The box and 5.29 may be over kill. I just don't like how fast I end up going over obstacles sometimes. I think 4.88 and 35 or 36 tires would probably be fine but a boy can dream;)

I have a radiator pressure kit I can bring along (if it'll fit your filler neck). Pump the system up to 18 and look for the leak.

Chris,
I would love to see your rig with 35's and more lift....
Can you say Awesome 80:smokin:

Chris,
I would love to see your rig with 35's and more lift....
Can you say Awesome 80:smokin:

I look at your FJ and have envy. Just to be a dick I'm gonna get 36's. J/K
I had a stray thought of selling my motorcycle to finance build up. It makes me sad. It is a toss up what I like more. I would really miss the bike, but I would like to work the truck. Decisions decisions.

sell the donorcycle... dad : ) it's not the cyclist, it's other drivers... and it would bring your 80 around since you already trail coated it... and you'll feel more comfortable on the black trails.

Sounds like my problem--too many freaking hobbies. End up not being able to do everything the way you want. Need to be independently wealthy! :grinpimp:

Thanks for the offers on the pressure kits--I'm going to try to get it checked before the weekend locally.

Donor cycle... You sound like everyone at work. You can tell Em works in a hospital, uncommon phrase.
It really is a hard decision. I ride more than I drive. When I get in the LC I literally feel wierd and have to think about what I'm doing for a second.
I suppose I should sell it so the little girl has a better chance of growing up with dad.

...I was just generalizing : ) Though the aweful stories from the ER really make an impression on me. I think the 80 is sweet how it is and would also like to see it on 36's so I am biased : )

Chris, if your bike is a zoomsplat, sell it. Then you can save up and buy a Harley. I've had a bike since I was 18. I wish I could have afforded a Harley back when. I had a pretty cool substitute, a yamaha xs650sg that I bought new in 1980. Once I bought my Dyna in 1994, the poor yamaha sat until I sold it for space in my little shed.

You get to a point where you can read "body language" of the cagers, and when they do cut you off, you're ready for them. Riding a bike is definitely a proactive, defensive operation requiring a focused mindset. and a HELMET!

the bike looses.... :D

it does nothing to get you out into the woods hanging out with us so it's definitely not as cool as the 80!

(if it did, maybe I would get mine running as it might get ME out hanging out in the woods more! :D)

Chris, if your bike is a zoomsplat, sell it. Then you can save up and buy a Harley. I've had a bike since I was 18. I wish I could have afforded a Harley back when. I had a pretty cool substitute, a yamaha xs650sg that I bought new in 1980. Once I bought my Dyna in 1994, the poor yamaha sat until I sold it for space in my little shed.

You get to a point where you can read "body language" of the cagers, and when they do cut you off, you're ready for them. Riding a bike is definitely a proactive, defensive operation requiring a focused mindset. and a HELMET!

I have never really been a fan of heavy american iron. Lack of performance and WAY too expensive for what it is. I do like the 1340 soft tail though. That would be the route I would go for a Harley.
I like that my bike stops on a dime, acclereates like a bat out of hell, and turns quickly. Most of the bike recks we get at the hospital are harleys. Because they can't get out of their own way. The guys on sport bikes usually do something stupid, ride above their ability.
I don't know, I only said I was thinking about selling.;)

p.s. I wear my helmet. A bug to the face at a 100 really hurts.

Sorry to disagree Chris, but it's real easy to hop up a Harley for getting your yayas. I've only done needle changes and a mild cam and mine kicks ass. Those that have bumped compression and put bigger jugs or a stroker kit know real acceleration. I have no problem stopping on a dime. I'm thinking you haven't ridden one for yourself, only listened to the slams and the lingering problems of when AMF ran Harley into the ground.

I've never heard of someone getting into an accident because they "can't get out of their own way". Rather it's from inattention, inexperience, stupidity, or riding beyond their skill sets.

It's sounding a lot like you're a zoomsplatter.:D

Sorry to disagree Chris, but it's real easy to hop up a Harley for getting your yayas. I've only done needle changes and a mild cam and mine kicks ass. Those that have bumped compression and put bigger jugs or a stroker kit know real acceleration. I have no problem stopping on a dime. I'm thinking you haven't ridden one for yourself, only listened to the slams and the lingering problems of when AMF ran Harley into the ground.

I've never heard of someone getting into an accident because they "can't get out of their own way". Rather it's from inattention, inexperience, stupidity, or riding beyond their skill sets.

It's sounding a lot like you're a zoomsplatter.:D

I am a die hard zoomsplat;). I agree to disagree. Spotr bikes crank right out of the box. They cost half as much and don't need do a thing to get performance. I hang with a lot of local biker trash and ride with them. They get pissed when I smoke em in the turns:lol:.
It is just 2 different styles of riding, and whoever you are you are passonate about what makes you tick. Eg LC vs. Heep
I just like to have my face in the wind and quite frankly I thought I would have grown out of the sport bike phase by now. But I haven't.:D

That is all. Back to CMCC talk.

I was generalizing(sp) I remember your old bearded face.;p
See you Saturday Dan-O.

I'm heading out in the morning. Plan to get there by noon-1PM. See you all there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom