Clutch slave rod bumping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New here. Please advise.
We bought a 84 fj60 last fall with 172k miles on it and its pretty nice.

Has a new clutch and clutch fork.

When I got it in the fall it needed a new clutch slave. Installed it no problem and its been working.

A couple of days ago the pedal began stopping about 1.2 of the way to the floor. Stops and you can hear an audible clunk or metal tap. Not clutch noise.

It still shifts fine and both clutch cylinders are ok.

When I get under the car and look at the clutch slave, the rod that come out of the slave to the back of the car that has the nuts on it and moves the fork is now hitting a piece of metal bracing behind it. The rod hits it and stops the clutch pedal.

I can feel the back end of the rod as well as the metal board it is hitting. The rod seems to be about an inch from the metal with no pressure on the clutch pedal.

Like I say, it shifts fine and the clutch works but somehow now the slave bolt or rod is hitting the metal behind it.

Totally drivable , all gears work, its just that the pedal stops before it gets all the way down.

The metal is behind the rod and above the drive shaft guard that is below the slave.

1) Why would this suddenly happen ?

2) What if I just cut a little off of the length of that rod so it does not hit the metal any longer ?

Has anyone heard of this ?

Any suggestions ?

There are 2 type of slave cylinders. One has an adjustable rod, the other fixed.

Odd if it was the wrong one to work for months then have a problem...But?

I don't remember if the rod was adjustable or only the nuts. I just made it match the one that came out.

I guess I will take it out and see if I can turn the rod in some.

Just very curious as to why it started last Friday ? Nothing seems to be bent or out of sorts.

The metal piece that it is hitting does not appear to be a "stop".

IMG_2709.jpg
Here is the best picture that I could get. Hard to get the camera up there.
The blurry thing on the right is the fork and the adjustment rod is the threaded thing going from right to left. On the left you can see the metal that it is hitting.

Why would this have just started happening ?

If the rod is adjustable I will move it forward.

If the rod is not adjustable, would there be any harm in cutting the last 1/2 inch off of the threaded rod ?

It looks to me that you have the "pivot nut" (lack of a better term) on the wrong side of the fork. Both nuts should be on the engine side of the fork and the nut with the cone shape should sit in the cup of the fork. The thread below has a pretty good pic. Do you have the FSM for adjusting pedal height, pedal play, and slave rod play? That seems very excessive on the amount of threads extending out of the fork.

Throwout bearing spinning

The mystery has been solved.
The acorn nut pushed through the hole in the fork.
When I exchanged the slave cylinders, I used the shaft and acorn nut that came with the new one.
I did not really notice that the the older acorn nut was much larger in diameter.
I cleaned up the old rod and put it in the new slave and it all seems to be good.
Although I must say the part about getting the old shaft and nuts out was a bit of a brain game.
Whoodathunk ?
IMG_2725.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg
IMG_2731.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom