Clutch master cyl differences? (H55F swap related)

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Skniper, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Skniper

Skniper

Is there a difference in FJ60 clutch master cylinders between early models and later ('86 '87) models.

2. mwebfj60

mwebfj60 SILVER Star

The part number changed after 11/85’. I’m not sure of the differences although the slave and fork system changed around the same time.

3. klinetime574

klinetime574 Positive Vibes SILVER Star

EDIT (I mixed up master cylinder and slave cylinder) This is still useful info though... :)

Early clutch slave cylinders utilize an external spring to pull the clutch release bearing (TOB) away from the pressure plate. There is a small bracket that the bolts pass through before going through the master cylinder and larger bracket that then bolts to the flywheel. The small bracket has a hole for the external spring. The fork has a small hole on the end for the other side of the spring.

Late clutch slave cylinders utilize a internal spring to keep constant pressure on the clutch release bearing. Radically different design that does the same thing.

The slave cylinders use a different length rod. Different clutch fork. And I believe a different mounting system.

It’s important to use all matching components. Otherwise you won’t be able to adjust the clutch correctly.

I’m using early clutch slave and master components with my 2F bellhousing and H55F.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  4. evilorgoodtwin

evilorgoodtwin SILVER Star

Hmmm I hope I have the right one in mine. Haven’t needed to adjust it

5. OSS

OSS SILVER Star

The clutch master cylinder currently sold by Toyota has the same part number for all model years.

6. g-man

g-man SILVER Star

The clutch fork and slave cylinder probably have more to do with the clutch housing than the transmission. I believe the h55 has the same size housing as 42 and probably the same length input shaft

7. cruisermatt

cruisermatt ランドクル62! SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The difference between the 80-84 and 85-87 clutch masters are the angle of the two studs on the firewall. If you don’t use the correct master cylinder your resivior won’t sit vertically.

8. klinetime574

klinetime574 Positive Vibes SILVER Star

@OSS Dang it. You’re right. I got excited. I’ll go edit my post.

OSS likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.