Clutch master cyl differences? (H55F swap related) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EDIT (I mixed up master cylinder and slave cylinder) This is still useful info though... :)

Early clutch slave cylinders utilize an external spring to pull the clutch release bearing (TOB) away from the pressure plate. There is a small bracket that the bolts pass through before going through the master cylinder and larger bracket that then bolts to the flywheel. The small bracket has a hole for the external spring. The fork has a small hole on the end for the other side of the spring.

Late clutch slave cylinders utilize a internal spring to keep constant pressure on the clutch release bearing. Radically different design that does the same thing.

The slave cylinders use a different length rod. Different clutch fork. And I believe a different mounting system.

It’s important to use all matching components. Otherwise you won’t be able to adjust the clutch correctly.

I’m using early clutch slave and master components with my 2F bellhousing and H55F.

Last edited:
Hmmm I hope I have the right one in mine. Haven’t needed to adjust it

The clutch master cylinder currently sold by Toyota has the same part number for all model years.

The difference between the 80-84 and 85-87 clutch masters are the angle of the two studs on the firewall. If you don’t use the correct master cylinder your resivior won’t sit vertically.

@OSS Dang it. You’re right. I got excited. I’ll go edit my post.

Reactions: OSS
I want to replace the clutch master cylinder on my Canadian 1981 BJ60. Every site I go to lists this one for 1981-84:

cmt-012jpg.image.750x481.jpg

But mine looks like this one which is supposedly for 1985-90:

cmt-032jpg.image.654x550.jpg

Maybe someone replaced it with the wrong unit before? Since the one I have now seems to work, should I get the one that looks like it? Above @cruisermatt mentions that the angle of the holes is different so the reservoir won't be vertical but mine seems fine.

3B H55F

I want to replace the clutch master cylinder on my Canadian 1981 BJ60. Every site I go to lists this one for 1981-84:

Maybe someone replaced it with the wrong unit before? Since the one I have now seems to work, should I get the one that looks like it? Above @cruisermatt mentions that the angle of the holes is different so the reservoir won't be vertical but mine seems fine.

3B H55F

Mechanically the different version master cylinders should be the same, just get whatever fits your cruiser. I’d buy both versions, see which fits and return the other.

3B H55F

Use the version you have now, which is 4/85+. They probably upgraded to later version when H55 was swapped in.

Having issues fitting mine on my 7/1985 cruiser, the studs dont line up. Should I drill into the firewall or is there a mechanical difference betweent the two.

Dan

Just buy the right master cylinder. Why would you drill holes in your firewall vs just buying the correct part for $45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom