CLC March 2015 Run - The Gulches (or???) Saturday 14th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The turn at the bottom of metberry is always a good suspension flex photo posing spot too.

Saw a report from another site that said Hackett was pretty snowed in. I think they made it to Hackett rock though. They made it down Longwater, but it "required winching several times". Metberry is usually the first to clear of snow.

I just called for conditions on the gulches and got a ranger that clearly hates OHV's. He said that while all trails are passable and open (to some extent or another) that he highly discourages going out there for reasons which all anti-OHVers state, even though I wanted to give him a piece of my mind I bit my tongue and let him finish his rant.

General conditions he said were mud, dirt snow and ice. He said the snow pack has thinned out due to some higher temps which has resulted in some decently muddy spots.

45 degrees and mostly sunny up in Pike this weekend. Looks like a dusting of snow might come down on the trails Friday.

Are we still on for this ride?

Old Chinamans Gulch would be fun too, thats near BV right? bit closer for me.

Yeah, right there in BV.

45 degrees and mostly sunny up in Pike this weekend. Looks like a dusting of snow might come down on the trails Friday.

Are we still on for this ride?

I'm sure there will be a group running somewhere. I've got family coming in this weekend, so unfortunately I'm out.

I'm going to have to bump down to a 75%. Only worth it to me if my moab co-driver can make it and I haven't gotten a confirmation from him yet.

scratch that, I'll stay committed. I do like the sound of Chinamans Gulch better honestly, looks like more fun.

Putting the belly pan on today.

Last edited:
If you decide to do Chinamans Gultch this weekend, let me know. I live in BV. Hope to get my new Landtank caster plates installed on Friday so that I can remove the MAF drop brackets and get my sliders installed. Then I would be up for that trail. Or maybe even the following weekend.

I couldn't commit to chinamans. Just a bit too far for a trail that might cause my truck some damage, (33's and only 2.5" lift, sliders but no skids) although I did want to try it last year with the big group. If I'm the only local member going up maybe we should scratch this one? Reed, where are you coming in from?

Last edited:
I'll know tomorrow if Chinamans a go or if china wall or the gultches would be better. I asked steve from rising sun if he wants to do do chinaman, its up to his wife and he let me know tomorrow. We could scrap this trip and I could work on my sliders... I just have that itch to get out and run trail!

I know that itch. Haven't wheeled since last August on Blanca. finally have an open Saturday without any family commitments getting in the way. If you end up on chinamans no worries. I'll just kidnap a buddy and hit something closer to the springs. Where do you live again?

that was your maroon fzj I saw up there! If you made it over the Jaws series then Chinaman can't be any worse.

Last edited:
I am in Alamosa, we wheeled up blanca last year right infront of your group. We had this FJ40
photo75_zpsba2fbfcf.jpg

as suburban and a scout up there. I noticed your FZJ as soon as it hit the lake, I can spot them miles away. What do you feel comfortable doing around the springs? maybe there is a trail that has a mix for both of us. Hard stuff with a decently challenging bypass for you perhaps?

.... maybe there is a trail that has a mix for both of us. Hard stuff with a decently challenging bypass for you perhaps?

Not really anything around here where Ryan would have to take a bypass. :D You guys could go hit the Gulches then go play on Little Moab. Wish I could make it, but toooooo much to do. :(

I'm out.

@BVCOTaco how is it looking to you? Thinking you might be able to run Chinaman's gulch this weekend?

@mountainmanryan are you still planning on the gulches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom