Christmas Tree Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok ok... sorry for trying to plan ahead. The wife isn't coming. She and my daughter are going Christmas shopping. However, I do get to bring the dog. Thats good anyway... I want to get her used to rough riding in the car before she gets too big anyway. I'll see you guys somewhere and sometime on Saturday morning :)

now it's friday. what the heck is the plan? I'm gonna buy my permit at my office and meet somewhere instead of driving to Walatowa and backtracking. Going up 280? Something else? Greg is correct, there are no designated tree cutting areas this year, so we can cut wherever we find them (hopefully near the end of the run so we don't have to tear them up before we get home).

David

Now it's almost Saturday and still no instructions for you SF/Espanola folks that don't want to go all the way to Walatowa. Here's what I posted on the other thread:

It's still undecided whether we will go to 280 or 376. Espanola/SF people that don't want to go all the way down to the Walatowa visitors center should plan to meet at the "Y" where 126 and 4 meet at La Cueva at 10:45. If we go to 280 or 289, you won't have to backtrack much but you also won't miss us if we go to the west instead. I don't feel like I have the authority to make the decision of where to go. Greg has a good point that we really won't know the conditions until we get there. We will have to pass the NM4 and NM126 junction regardless of the route that is eventually decided upon so just plan to meet there.

Friday at 11:20pm and nobody has mentioned a time yet? how about 9-9:30am at hwy4 and 126 (the turn off for Fenton Lake). if anyone wants to meet at the N portal (hwy550/528, SE corner) at 8am that's fine. i will be going ahead to unload the 40 at Walatowa, so don't look for me at N portal. any problems w/ that? well it's too late now. :flipoff2:

I'm looking forward to wheeling!

Shawn

I had a great time. It is nice to have some snow this year.:cheers:

I had a great time as well. What was the name of that bar we ate at on the way home? That was one tasty burger!!!

I had a great time as well. What was the name of that bar we ate at on the way home? That was one tasty burger!!!

Los Ojos. Your Mother In Law will love it. Try to arrange to stop around 11pm on your way back to town if you take the loop we talked about. It starts hoppin' about that time on a Saturday night. :D

Thanks for posting the Pics Rory. FYI, you can link directly to the Photobucket pics in this thread by using [ IMG ] tags.

P1010409.jpg

-Mike-

My mother-in-law isn't much of a bar person. My brother on the other hand... well that's a different story. I guess I could bring my mother-in-law as a designated driver though. :beer:

-The Other Mike-

:cool:

Last edited:
Glad everybody had a good time. Is there going to be a trip report and gps track?

Is there going to be a trip report and gps track?

Maybe. I had cover problems under the trees and my track is screwy. I might be able to clean it up, but it will take some time.

Bushrat

not as much to report this time. the main shocker is we had 10 trucks on the run! (now if i can remember all of them) Williams' in the 40, Wolfe's in their 60, Bushrat in his 4runner, Lawrences in their 40, Mike(cajuntransplant) in his FJC, Messinger's in their 100. then, the 80's-Maynard's, Vince, Rory. that's 9. am i missing someone, or did i count wrong?

no tough wheeling. snow was max 4" deep. a pretty drive up 280 off hwy 4 accross from the Valles Caldera. then some exploring of side roads. Jon brought remote control trucks that the kids played with at lunch 'till the batteries gave out. everyone picked a tree that wanted one. unless Wolfe's didn't find one. they went off looking when we were airing up. that's about it. no body damage, nobody got stuck. :D

There were 10 trucks Shawn; Marc and his family were there in their FJ60.

-Mike-

There were 10 trucks Shawn; Marc and his family were there in their FJ60.-Mike-

oh man! how could i forget the Ahlen's.:eek: sorry Marc.

Looks like i missed yet another cool run :mad:

Ali

unless Wolfe's didn't find one.

We found one, at long last. After hitting the blacktop and seeing dozens of really nice trees on the private land and otherwise fenced off FS land long the highway we turned off on the FS road that goes to the Paliza saddle expecting to find the same. Apparently the beetles prefer trees accessible to the forest roads because we found the same insect damage there we saw earlier. In the end we stumbled across a blue spruce that will do just fine...

oh man! how could i forget the Ahlen's.:eek: sorry Marc.

Well, I did spend most of the time at the opposite end of the line from you (the back end). Even when we started out from Walatowa, I was the last to leave the parking lot and I got stuck behind a really slow, ridiculously lifted TJ all the way to La Cueva. I thought I was the slowest thing on the road up until that point. He must have put all his money into the lift and tires and decided not to do anything about his gear ratios.

Thank goodness Greg was in CB range about the time I passed the Jemez Falls campground. I zipped (ok - chugged) right passed the turnoff to 280 and was quickly notified of my mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom