Christmas Tree Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It just started snowing real heavy about an hour ago(3:00pm). There looks to be about 2 inches on the ground now. This is all going on in Los Alamos.

Vince

snow

Radar loops I saw showed most of the activity north of Hwy 4 toward the Sangres, so Jon's suggestion for FR 280 may be the best in terms of more snow, fewer visitors and close proximity for both Albuquerqueians and Espanolans.

Radar loops I saw showed most of the activity north of Hwy 4 toward the Sangres, so Jon's suggestion for FR 280 may be the best in terms of more snow, fewer visitors and close proximity for both Albuquerqueians and Espanolans.

Sorry, I won't take credit for David's 280 suggestion. I do like the idea, though. It looks like it would be best to get permits, get the trees, then take another (off-road) way back. Is that the road to Dixon to the east?

Sorry, I won't take credit for David's 280 suggestion. I do like the idea, though. It looks like it would be best to get permits, get the trees, then take another (off-road) way back. Is that the road to Dixon to the east?

Oops. Can't quite get used to everyone's new alias'.

Road on the map to the east is the Dome Road - not really very interesting but does complete a loop to Cochiti. There are a couple other possibilities for coming back that we could try, including connecting to Lower Paliza (no rocker killers on that stretch, Marc) or maybe connecting to Medio Dia canyon and down past Bland. I have no idea what is open/passable at this point...

There is also the possibility of coming down FR 376 and cutting over to Schoolhouse Mesa for trees, then coming down Holiday Mesa to the Guadalupe crossing like I did last weekend. One caveat to that idea is that if there is ANY snow left there we (at least I) wouldn't want to attempt the Guadalupe portion because there is one very steep, very loose, very exposed (to about a 1500 ft drop) section that's scary when its dry.

Who all is planning to go?

we are hoping to make it. i'll be trailering the 40, so if it's possible to loop back to starting point fairly close would be good for us.

we are hoping to make it. i'll be trailering the 40, so if it's possible to loop back to starting point fairly close would be good for us.

Well, from the ranger station we can loop back on 376, or on 10 after a detour to 280. Either way is a short day.

I would like to try to tag along on Saturday. I don't need a tree... but I'd be happy to help anyone else that does.

We need to talk to someone at the FS tomorrow to find out what routes are open. I know 376 gets closed when the road is too dangerous for idiots without 4WD (I suppose they are keeping out the idiots with 4WD as well). I have also heard that the south end of 376 is already closed so that would prevent a loop. But we could still go down 376 from 126 and then back up or attempt to take 539 from Porter up to 126. Go here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/sfe/xmas06/index.html and then select the Cuba district to see what roads I'm talking about. They connect to 376 at the confluence of Cebolla and Las Vacas (which become Guadalupe). As a matter of fact, that is shown to be a favorable area for tree cutting.

I vote for planning for the primary location to be 280. Based on what we hear about closed roads when we're at Walatowa, we can decide where to venture after that. If there's enough people, we can split into a Paliza and a non-Paliza crew. Shawn can make his loop down Paliza and back to his tow rig and I could go with Jon down Dome Road to Cochiti.

I would like to try to tag along on Saturday. I don't need a tree... but I'd be happy to help anyone else that does.

That's the spirit Michael!!

This is our 6th annual Christmas Tree run and Connie and I have been on all of them. Taking a tree is optional so bring the family even if you don't plan to bring home a tree. When there is snow like we expect to have on this trip, we will stop somewhere for everyone to have some snow play time.

Snow boots, gaitors, or snow pants will come in handy.

-Mike-
97 FZJ80

That's the spirit Michael!!

This is our 6th annual Christmas Tree run and Connie and I have been on all of them. Taking a tree is optional so bring the family even if you don't plan to bring home a tree. When there is snow like we expect to have on this trip, we will stop somewhere for everyone to have some snow play time.

Snow boots, gaitors, or snow pants will come in handy.

-Mike-
97 FZJ80

So will RC toys. :grinpimp:

So will RC toys. :grinpimp:

That reminds me... Ross was very happy that you let him play with the RC truck on the Guaje Canyon trip. He asked me on the ride back if I thought you would let him wheel your 4Runner a little on the Christmas Tree Run. As you know, he will be getting his learner's permit in a few months. I told him you would be happy to ride with me and let him drive your truck. Hope you don't mind. :D

-Mike-
97 FZJ80

That reminds me... Ross was very happy that you let him play with the RC truck on the Guaje Canyon trip. He asked me on the ride back if I thought you would let him wheel your 4Runner a little on the Christmas Tree Run. As you know, he will be getting his learner's permit in a few months. I told him you would be happy to ride with me and let him drive your truck. Hope you don't mind. :D

-Mike-
97 FZJ80

Not problem at all. I'll bring my Valium. I'll also bring both RC's this time.

Shawn can make his loop down Paliza and back to his tow rig and I could go with Jon down Dome Road to Cochiti.

my wife says absolutely "NO PALIZA". i'm in for going with the group anyway, easy or hard. i'd rather wheel with my good friends than find a big challenge with only 1 or 2 trucks.:D

also, i am not getting a tree either. in fact, i have only done so once. the rest of the times, i'm just along for the fun! besides, i'm not good at finding a tree in the dark. :rolleyes:

We need to talk to someone at the FS tomorrow to find out what routes are open.

Experience has taught me that asking, especially over the phone, about route status on FS land is wasted energy. We just need to go up an see what has a locked gate and what doesn't. We also don't want to advertise that we are a 4WD group, as that tends to influence route status as well, as we learned the hard way.

I am Planning on attending. Do any of you put on snow tires for this run?

Steve Messinger

Most of us run a Mud/Snow tire like the BFG MT/KM or the Goodyear MT/R.

Pappy Jon

Steve,
Your tires will be fine. Your tires are considered All-Terrain (A/T tread) and they are much better than street tires in the snow. I'm not certain but you will probably find they have the "M&S" rating on the sidewall indicating they are considered a 'snow' tire when highway conditions require the use of snow tires.

-Mike-
97 FZJ80

So are we getting close to deciding on a meeting place and time? I don't know my way around this state too well once I am outside of Albuquerque, so I need lots of time to study the maps :)

So are we getting close to deciding on a meeting place and time? I don't know my way around this state too well once I am outside of Albuquerque, so I need lots of time to study the maps :)

It's not Friday yet.

-Mike-
97 FZJ80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom