Check engine light intermittently on off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The check engine light (typically along with VSC and the other stability light I forget) has been intermittently on for days and weeks at time then sometimes off for days with no notable sound or engine behavior or smell. Car performs normal as before. Had it scanned couple times and code points to bad right side Cat. I'm trying not to having spend $2k if avoidable. What's strange is that the light goes away at times, is this a real Cat replacement issue or something else? What are my options? I have 2005 LC with 100k, does Cat usually go out? This is first time has happened of all the cars I have owned, and the LC being the most expensive car I have owned.
Please advise.

So no rough idles before light comes on.
My old jeep used to ear cats every year or so.
Generally part of the inside of the cat would break off and settle and I would have no issues. Then something would cause the broken piece to become loose and and if it settled in an area that restricted flow I would get rough idle. Eventually it would settle in a place that would restrict all flow and I would have to get it towed.
All depends on how big of piece fell off as to how long you can go before you have to fix it.

Have someone start it and rev the engine and see if you can hear loose pieces in the cat.

You don't have to spend $2k, I just bought the 2 cats to put on my 100 series for $450 from rockauto.com.

I also want to add that I did replaced the right O2 sensors as well, but lights came back on and off after about two months. I guess the $2K cost I was referring to are the OEM one's... How long do they last anyways in LC's? I heard they are built very well..

If I end up having to get new Cat, I was looking at Magnaflow, but they require cutting and welding rather than direct fit bolt on...any other options would be welcomed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom