Charge lamp relay = violence :p (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about at the end of my rope! By violence, I mean I am about to go critical and beat my FJ with a mattock handle.

I have an '85 FJ60. The charge light relay buzzed every now and again on startup, then the charging system stopped charging. I started searching for a charge lamp relay, but my alternator was old and beat (pulley and cracked mount ear) so I changed it out anyway while I was searching (in vain).

Well, lo and behold, new alternator installed, it charges again! Fine, never mind the relay. It still buzzed occasionally, but all was good. Then one day, it wasn't. No charge anymore, and no buzzing. So back to the search for a relay (still no luck).

Well, I have now exhausted ever source I can find locally and on the internet so far for even a used relay (missed one on ebay by hours), and I have been just putting my truck on the battery charger constantly and just driving locally (no off roading until I have a functional charging system).

So, am I to believe Toyota (and every aftermarket parts supplier) has just decided to cease production of a specific relay that disables the charging system when faulty with no "plan B" to replace or bypass it? That seems VERY stupid to me.

I have searched the forum (and the internet, to include other Toyota platforms, etc) and all I can find is a different issue with some people where the relay is jumped with a diode to just disable the light (different problem).

I tried a generic 40 amp 4 pin relay (with appropriate socket spliced in) in every conceivable configuration to no avail, and would rather not pull the alt and get a new one unless I know what's what with the relay.

I like my truck far too much to set it on fire or push it onto the railroad tracks, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to pay for a used relay if anyone has one.

Thanks very much in advance,

Jeff

All the electrical crap in the cabin has to ground somewhere. And if the grounding location is burnt, loose, or corroded, everything that dumps into it will be compromised.

I don't know where that relay grounds, but at least check the common grounding locations.

More info HERE.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, power to the relay on the pins, for sure. I even got the relay (aftermarket) to fire manually by switching leads to the socket out of desperation, the best I came up with was a charge light on the dash, but no charge on the ammeter. Maybe it truly is the alternator, but I really feel the relay is the issue (not that electrical systems care much about feelings).

I may just have to pull the alt and have it tested. Are these voltage regulators and alternators prone to being crappy in reman units? So many other makes are.

I guess that "Plan Z" is the GM one wire alternator conversion, but I have to admit, after buying a new (Remanufactured??) alt I'm sort of sour on throwing parts at the problem.

Jeff

Well, maybe I'll wire that aftermarket relay to have the charge light show (pretty good chance that indicates a legit series of connections to the harness) and swap alternators.

Maybe I'm placing too much faith in a "new" alternator.

Barring any other sagely advice, I think that's the plan..

Thanks, Output and Kowalski,

Will report back. Damn. Horses are a lot easier. Maybe I should stick with them. (LOL)

Im gonna have to try some of your solutions on mine then... I have the charge light staying on when the car is off and the hot EFI relay at rest as well. Its running the battery down in one day. Of course yesterday when I went to look for parasitic drawl it doesn't do it. Looking at this thread cause I got a new EFI relay but its still getting hot even with car off. When I pull the charge lamp relay the light on the cluster is off but I assume the car wont be charging if I leave it out during driving?
Good luck man when I get mine figured out ill post up what I found.

Well, I have found that lots of parts sources SAY they have them, but they are on backorder and discontinued. For instance, the Rock Auto site lets you put it in your cart, but does not indicate it is unavailable until checkout. That has been the case for every place I have found that says they have one.

Now the used one in the classifieds, well, that's different. Thanks!

reman alternators can be good, or crap. hard to tell until you run them for awhile. the charge buzzer goes off for a reason...and the relay could have failed, but I'm suspicious of the reman alternator. a failing voltage regulator could fail intermittently, causing exactly the symptoms you are having. unless you've killed the poor truck yet, next time the buzzer goes off, check the voltage gauge - is it high or low? then use a multi-meter and check the voltage out of the alternator. these usually come with a lifetime warrenty, so even if you don't have direct evidence of failure, you could bring it back, tell them the voltage drops randomly, and ask for a new one. they'll probably swap it out.

Update: pulled charge lamp relay, driving w out it in vehicle, met a guy who knows a lot about electrical stuff... Taught me how to wire cheap relay instead of chasing high dollar one. Having the relay out seems to have solved my drain problem but I have been driving it daily and not letting it sit more than a day. I plan to run wires for charge lamp relay and EFI relay to the cab and see if that keeps the EFI from getting hot and the charge lamp relay back in business. Then onto AC fixin. Will update again once I get it going.

Sorry about the delay, but I wanted to be sure with some miles after the fix.

All is working correctly. I got a takeout (used) charge lamp relay, that did not fix anything, then replaced the alternator with a new Bosch unit, all is well and working perfectly.

It is my belief that the bad relay fried the old alternator, and the new replacement. Good relay and a new alt and all is well.

As an aside, just got my new BFG mud terrains today, and it's mud/monsoon season in southern Arizona!

Happy wheeling, and thanks for the responses and help!

Jeff

My problem ended up not being that relay, nor was it related to the EFI relay getting hot, it dif however end up being a POS reman alternator... Switched out at auto place and all is good. Glad u got urs going!

Yeah, it may very well have been just that for me, too, I just don't know.

Anyway, the Bosch one is new manufacture (a little pricier, but worth it). Plus the Bosch actually fit better, on the reman the voltage regulator housing actually hit the head and made getting the belt on difficult.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for!

Jeff

There is no EFI anything on a fj60...

The relay was fine, it buzzed because the alt or reg was bad, low voltage makes the relay make funny noises.

If you mean my relay (not sure who you are replying to), my relay is definitely bad, I swapped it in and tested, it is frozen at one pole now.

whoever said something about EFI....;)

but I thought you said the relay was OK?

Sorry about the delay, but I wanted to be sure with some miles after the fix.

All is working correctly. I got a takeout (used) charge lamp relay, that did not fix anything, then replaced the alternator with a new Bosch unit, all is well and working perfectly.

Jeff

If you mean my relay (not sure who you are replying to), my relay is definitely bad, I swapped it in and tested, it is frozen at one pole now.

I meant the old one! All is well, now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom