Center diff lock stuck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm gonna be honest. I have no idea what the problem is. The center diff lock light doesn't stay on but there are two symptoms that make me think it may be stuck:

-There is an occasional clunk, usually after coming out of a turn. It kinda sounds like it may be from a u-joint or something.

-When at full steering lock, the tires sound like they are scrubbing on the ground. It feels the same as it does when I leave my F150 in 4wd on dry pavement.

Here is a little back ground info:
185k, I just bought it. I had the steering rack rebuilt, a Dobinson 1.5" lift installed, an alignment, and front hub replaced pretty much immediately. I didn't notice any of the issues in the week or so before I did all this work.

I tried searching but I don't really even know what to search for. Any thoughts?

Honestly, this sounds more like your cv joints need to be serviced on the front; have you checked your boots on the front?

Do you know if the CDL light ever worked? This definitely does sound like the CDL is stuck on after you describe the 2nd behavior. Do hear any relays clicking when you press the CDL button or shift into low range?

When my CD is locked on pavement I get scrubbing at pretty much all wheel angles, rather than only at full steering lock. At full steering lock, the CV's are in the most extremely position, and if they aren't greased up 100% they'll make noises. You'll definitely feel the front end hopping if your center diff is locked on pavement when you're turning

I partially agree. Even CVs that are leaking grease should not pop and bind up the driveline unless they are bone dry. You are correct that if the CDL is locked, the driveline will bind at all steering angles.

Do you know if the CDL light ever worked? This definitely does sound like the CDL is stuck on after you describe the 2nd behavior. Do hear any relays clicking when you press the CDL button or shift into low range?

The CDL light does work. And I can hear things engaging/disengaging. I was wondering if it was possible to not fully disengage or something.

When my CD is locked on pavement I get scrubbing at pretty much all wheel angles, rather than only at full steering lock. At full steering lock, the CV's are in the most extremely position, and if they aren't greased up 100% they'll make noises. You'll definitely feel the front end hopping if your center diff is locked on pavement when you're turning

It drives fine except at full lock. No scrubbing at all unless I'm making a tight u turn. Would the wheels hop from bad CV's?

What year is it?

I drove mine (04LC) on concrete pavement with CDL on by accident (my dash light is not working, needs to fix it). I took a u turn and I heard tires scrubbing and LC slowed down. At that point I checked CDL button and it was on. I put it off and slowly backed up untill I hear it disengage. Then slowly moved forward with u turn again to see I'm getting the same scrubbing, I didn't so that verified (enough I think) CDL disengaged.

I guess I got lucky there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom