CEL code 71 on my 1991 and THIS happened?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Threw code 71 yesterday so I have been reading threads and taking things apart to see what's going on. Pulled my modulator and vacuum hoses to check for carbon and it was pretty clean. Might even be somewhat new based on how clean the little filter is. But then I turned it over and saw this:
image.jpeg

How the heck does this happen? Seems like someone crimped it on purpose. And can this cause the code the code 71?

The truck is relatively new to me but I've driven it every day for a couple weeks and had no issues with it until yesterday.

That lower hose could have been leaking a long time so the escaping gases could have melted it. Sometimes with the obd the ecu will not throw a code... I drove around for a year with no cel- even though the computer had a code 71 listed. Now have a cel all the time after I reset it. Obd only gives you the one code...meaning your egr is not operating properly.

That lower hose could have been leaking a long time so the escaping gases could have melted it. Sometimes with the obd the ecu will not throw a code... I drove around for a year with no cel- even though the computer had a code 71 listed. Now have a cel all the time after I reset it. Obd only gives you the one code...meaning your egr is not operating properly.

Got it. The bottom hose was on there pretty tight, and all the hoses look brand new. Maybe this happened before but the PO just didn't replace the modulator.

I opened it up a bit with needle nose pliers and then reset the code. Hasn't popped up again, but do you think I should still replace the modulator just in case?

I would replace. They are about $65 from your favorite parts dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom