CBI covert Bumper on a LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided on the CBI covert winch bumper.
The install took me about 2.5 days. I definitely recommend watching the CBI installation video over and over. While it takes them not time for them to put the bumper on it took me a bit longer. Here are some notes and recommendations.
When taping off the bumper leave a bit more and trim back. Specifically on the plastic chrome down pieces cut on the chrome and trim back to the body panel. I used a cut off wheel, hind sight I would use a reciprocating flat blade not a sawzall either. Lower the car AHC. Set the bumper up empty with no winch to trim it all back slowly. If you are doing it on your own a well placed jack is handy. Once all set up and things align well. I started my assembly. I went with a ZEON 10s. You must remove the solenoid pack to make it fit. I would set up the winch with the remote solenoid with the longer extension wire pack. Also I picked up a water proofing setup for the solenoid.

Watch the CBI video

I used a 30” curved BAJA with the two sets if controlled lights. Be advised there is a gap to the grill they do not sit flush to the front. You have to gret a little creative with the brackets and mounting the lights if you use a baja. When you bolt up the bumper with winch and light bar it is very heavy. An extra set of hands are wicked valuable. Get a few of those frame bolts on and start checking fit and alignment. I used the fender molding to hide a few mistakes and trim it up.

Watch the CBI video

Wiring, I ran an extension to the winch control pack as well. Finding a good place to mount the solenoid seemed tough. I installed my compressor where alot of folks place the solenoid. I used a Slee compressor mount and bolted the solenoid to the bottom of the bracket with my Switch Pro by the battery. The switch pro picked up my compressor and light bar. On the top of the bracket I used a trailer wire box for all the lines to clean it up. I used the electrical accessory bracket on the passenger side for the compressor. Yes that’s backwards but I liked the placement better.

IMG_8027.jpeg

IMG_8029.jpeg

IMG_8033.jpeg

IMG_8034.jpeg

That looks great. Nice job in the install.

Looks great. What year is your LX? CBI states it only works with the 2019-2021 and wouldn’t give me info as to why it wouldn’t work with my 2016.

Do you have a side profile photo? Do you think it helps with improving approach angle? I know that’s one of the shortcomings of the facelifted models due to the longer overhang.

Really want to go with a SDHQ HWM but it’s more than half the cost of the CBI…makes it pretty tempting.

Looks great. What year is your LX? CBI states it only works with the 2019-2021 and wouldn’t give me info as to why it wouldn’t work with my 2016.

Do you have a side profile photo? Do you think it helps with improving approach angle? I know that’s one of the shortcomings of the facelifted models due to the longer overhang.

Really want to go with a SDHQ HWM but it’s more than half the cost of the CBI…makes it pretty tempting.
Here can see the amount cut off.

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_8028.jpeg

Hey what year is your LX? Also trying to figure out why it wouldnt work with a '16-'18

It’s good for an OEM+ style build but for $2200 you can get more clearance, more features, and more protection from other vendors. They stopped publishing the weight but if I recall this thing was shockingly heavy for what it is.

This bumper keeps the classy look of the Lexus, body colored paint or power coat would be unreal.
@tbisaacs is right tho, it weighs like 220 lbs before you put a winch in it which is baffling. You'd think it was cast iron. Other threads talk about an 8 month lead time also, so i might just consider getting something custom made locally.

Edit: Turns out it weighs like 104 lbs. Me culpa.

Last edited:
AHC compensates for 220 pounds

Yea I know. Liking how it looks is a perfectly reasonable reason to buy it.

But if you are buying it for functionality (clearance, protection, accessory mounting)—it's dead last in terms of value compared to ARB, Dissent, Ironman, Victory, etc. It's the heaviest, most expensive, least functional. And CBI is flakey.

Yea I know. Liking how it looks is a perfectly reasonable reason to buy it.

But if you are buying it for functionality (clearance, protection, accessory mounting)—it's dead last in terms of value compared to ARB, Dissent, Ironman, Victory, etc. It's the heaviest, most expensive, least functional. And CBI is flakey.
Best looking install on this form! The only one that doesn’t look like an afterthought

I found quotes that this thing is 165 lbs. While that still seems heavy for what it is, its much less than 220.

Looks great! Did you not weight it @ducky145 ? Did you weigh the take off/cut offs too? How long did you wait for delivery?

CBI has had some checkered past on this forum, perhaps you experience could be summarized to help mediate and inform where they are now?

I agree with @tbisaacs that it doesn't capture some of the low hanging off-road design fruit, but as a installer of a TLC bumper on my LX, I didn't really get much clearance back either. The frame horns are where they are at, and the attachment point for the tow hooks on the frame isn't moving either.

Look into Spring Rubbers as an option to increase the spring constant up front to address the permanent added mass and get back your AHC overhead for ride quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom