Cause Dan Said I didn't do anything (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got 10 leafs in the back! hopefully not too stiff. Still wondering if I should put 3 extra leafs upfront too, because then it will have 10 up there too. the front is inverting right now, so definately needs atleast one extra leaf, so I might go one long one and two small leafs to give some hight and not too much stiff.

Then I started building the anti wrap bar. got lazy and didn't want to build a crossmember so I started building it at an angle towards the frame. looks a little hokey, but I think it should work.:hillbilly:
P4021440.jpg
P4031441.jpg
P4031442.jpg

Last few of my jim shimming frame mount for the antiwrap bar.
P4031443.jpg
P4031444.jpg

Dude I'm not totally done that peice, I still have a few braces to add.:hillbilly: Cross member means I got to buy another peice of steel (not just using scraps lying on the shop floor) and pull the brake and fuel lines out while I weld it up on the other side of the frame!:hillbilly:

10 leaf huh, I've just been relying on my minitruck tapered overloads to keep the pinion down and prevent springs inverting. Seems to work with my 3 load leaf setup :meh:. Rides similar emptyish and loaded. But I guess the antiwrap bar is a good idea and the extra leafs get you height for the 36's.
Oh, I think I have about 10 thin leafs in the rear springs on my 40, and I don't think the ride is too stiff.

good to know, i don't think it will get bad, it was pretty soft before i added these extra two, and the shakle angle is still facing toward the rear.

Morning work on the anti wrap bar. Note the gussets Dan. Its not going anywhere, although I think I shoulda built the shackle with a thicker material, but I got lazy again I guess and was the first scrap I grabbed.:hillbilly: Few more welds on the bar and a couple more peices on it and it should be good to go.
P4091445.jpg
P4091446.jpg
P4091448.jpg

buttoned up the rear end yesturday and put the rear locker in, just have to weld in a new fill plug into the rear cover, bolt up the rear drive shaft, and replace the short pass side brake line I snapped.
P4101449.jpg
P4101450.jpg
P4101451.jpg

Bolted up my tires, and looks like it got jacked by more than an inch, seems I am about 2 inches higher than my door in the shop, so I will need to airdown some more to get it out of the shop. Hopefully will settle down a bit after a drive. Jumping on the rear bumper still felt pretty soft though.
P4101452.jpg

pluging away. Got the front springs out, at the shop to get extra leafs. one side of the bearings were pouched so replaced all front bearings. Rear almost complete.
P4161453.jpg
P4161454.jpg
P4161455.jpg

Last edited:
looks like you got some runs in your paint

yeah how can you tell I don't really care ;) I actually didn't have any normal black paint around, so I just sprayed it all with that tar s***.:hillbilly:

So is that setup same as your 42, except on the left side? Don't get any binding or anything funky under throttle or flexing (in the 42)? Just thinking if I'll add that when the FJ60 eventually gets sprung over, instead of just relying on the springs.
:beer:

yes it's the same, except this one is only 3/4 instead of inch pins.:hillbilly: But I really don't notice it much except some bangin and clickin sometimes when the bar shifts on the pins. I think I would try to design it a little better next time by actually measuring for the rubber washers just to make sure they are everywhere to keep things quiet. No flex issues as you can see here:
Picture June 2008 008.jpg
Picture June 2008 009.jpg

A few more pics of this weekends work. Note the new and improved rear companion flange. My finished up filler plug, and my new (18mm) 1in longer than stock shackles in the paint booth.:hillbilly:
P4161456.jpg
P4161457.jpg
P4171458.jpg

And againa couple. Did a little more on the front bumper, needs some grinding and then the brush guard done. Also had some time to mess around ;)
P4171459.jpg
P4171461.jpg

Just kidding, no messing around, was actually building a part so that my front drive shaft has more clearence on the crossmember, turned out ok i think. Finally did some body work too by pulling the interior panel, smashing with 2X4 and torquing on the gap with a crow bar to get the dent out from last sept long. I got it good enough so the door doesn't open and squeeze the fender back in, still looks dented but not too bad.:hillbilly:
P4171462.jpg
P4171463.jpg

Example of big dent prior to some pursuasion. I think once I paint it up and add snorkle it won't be too noticable, not that I am concerned, just don't want to get unwanted heat on the street.:hillbilly:
P9040752.jpg

stacking rocks again

No those rocks were there when we got there, we didn't touch any. I think there was a group from Iclick that created that trail and they did it.:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom