Careless Desmog

Ok, well I'm not sure if it was an effect of replacing my smog pump with a pulley but my 86' is not running so hot or more specific the idle is to low-stalls out, and it diesels, well it always dieseled but I'm curious if there are things one should be aware of before you pull a smog pump. Note I still have the original carb- so I'm guessing I'm only halfway de-smogged. Perhaps I created some issues? Wanted some input thanks.

I'm no expert by any means but I know that retuning the carb air/fuel mixture is part of the process from what I've read.

Been thinking about doing mine. Just to clean up all those dang hoses.

Removing the smog pump will not effect the idle speed in a detrimental way. If anything, the idle could increase a tiny bit due to reduced friction.

It just parasitic drag.

Elbert

SILVER Star

desmog is kind of all or nothing to get things running right...and two parts of that are getting the carb rebuilt and the dist recurved...then of course all the smog stuff getting removed/plugged...etc.

Spike Strip

Reclaim Your Mind
SILVER Star

Hmmm.... 1st post 3 days ago and hasn't been back since ... Guess it's not that big an issue. :kiss:

Is getting the carb rebuilt and dist recurred a must or can one be happy without that step? Or this something I will say I should have done years ago if in fact I wait years to do.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
SILVER Star
it can work without having those two things done but the engine will not run optimally. I have been running for 3yrs with the engine desmogged and have not had the dizzy recurved nor the carb rebuilt for this as I had always planned on doing an engine swap but with the recent happenings for me it looks like I will be spending that money to get those items taken care of later this year (when there isnt snow on the ground).

Top Bottom