Car-Top-Tents for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep in mind that the ladder on this tent is only 6-0 tall. If your rig is tall enough to put the tent higher than that to the bottom, you will need to fab up something to lengthen the ladder. This should be pretty easy though considering the design.

I'll post up some pics this afternoon that show the mounting points on the bottom of my tent. I don't know if they've canged for the newest itterations of the tent, but I figure it might help some of you start to figure out how you will be mounting them up.

I called this A.M. Got to speak to Mel.
Nice guy..
I'm waiting for my shipping quote.
They still have a few left.

They are tring to respond to all who have emailed or called so sit tight.

Mine arrived this morning. :cool:

I have not had a chance to open it up. The box is wire strapped to a pallet and there was no external damage during transit:) :)

Thanks Mel

alf said:

I have not had a chance to open it up. The box is wire strapped to a pallet and there was no external damage during transit:) :)

Thanks Mel

alf-

Did they call you when it arrived. I am curious to know the process bc I have one in transit. I just don't know when it will get here.

alf said:

Thanks Mel

Wow, that seems really fast! When did you order it? Hurry hurry, we need mo' pics :D

Talked to Mel, he's getting me a shipping quote monday for 2. He said they are trying to get some back from some of their distributors as the response has been so good. I can't wait. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I ordered on Tuesday it shipped on Wed and I received it today (Fri).

Since I had it shipped to my dock here at work there was no need to call me. However, if you are having it shipped for local truck line terminal pickup they should call you when it hits the dock as they don't like having freight sit around for very long.

ALF

Well... since I live nearby, I visited Mel and I was impressed.

First, this is not a small business. They are a major distributor to several big time retailers. Mel was very impressed with Jason and those of us he's talked with. Mel is working to help us get as many of these close out tents as possible because he wants them to go to folks that appreciate them. BTW, Mel hunts and wheels a bit. ;)

Mel started with 28 and he's down to 6 or so on hand. Right now he's trying to shift stock that was destined for other retailers to us. Because the design is changing, selling them now is better for his bottom line than renegotiating with a retailer.

Most important. Mel asked that we email him if we want one. He said he's running a week or two behind, but he promises every email will be answered. His people have to handle the shipping, packaging, etc for each one and normally they deal in large lots. If you need to call, go ahead. You may have to leave a message. If you want a tent use email because Mel is filling orders in the order the email was received. He sincerely hopes to find a tent for everyone.

Attached are the pics I took with my phone. The fabric is the same as the heavy ground fabric in my Eureka tent. Made of PVC, it looks like translucent nylon and it repels water. It's easy to clean with mild soap in a squirt bottle. The base, structure, and hinges appear well made too.

Down side is this, it's bulky. You really need two people to load and unload it off the car. One side does not have a window, three sides have big windows or a big screened door.

HTH
Happy Trails! N
0825061118_resize.jpg
0825061119a_resize.jpg

cool. if he's going in email order, I'll not be worried. I sent an email several days ago and spoke to him as well the day after I sent the email.

I'm in line somewhere... :)

I got a response from him as well and it sounds like email order, so I figure I'm in there too, woo hoo! Just hoping I can get mine here by Sept. 7th, cant wait for the :princess: to walk out to the truck to go camping and have her say "what the F#$@ is that???" :grinpimp: ...... I have not exactly broke the news to her yet you see:doh:

Montana Cruiser said:
I got a response from him as well and it sounds like email order, so I figure I'm in there too, woo hoo! Just hoping I can get mine here by Sept. 7th, cant wait for the :princess: to walk out to the truck to go camping and have her say "what the F#$@ is that???" :grinpimp: ...... I have not exactly broke the news to her yet you see:doh:

Make sure you show her the website that has the original price. That is what I did and she said "wow what a deal!"

Montana Cruiser said:

That's hilarious!! From a married man, I know exaclty what your saying. I told mine what a great deal it was and how we would not have to tent camp and she was like, "as long as it works". Once she sees it, she will like it.

My conversation went more like:

me: I bought us a car top tent
her: was it really expensive?
me: about the same as the ground tent we were looking at anyway
her: so we're off the ground and wont have rocks in our back like last time at TDS?
me: nope
her: OK, I like it

This coming from the woman that said "I really like the Cruiser better than the Astro van, but if we get it you have to lift it & put bigger tires on, I dont want to drive it looking like that (stock)". She didnt flinch when I said we'd also have to re-gear it & might as well put ARB's in while we're at it. I really love my wife.

Rockrawler said:
My conversation went more like:

me: I bought us a car top tent
her: was it really expensive?
me: about the same as the ground tent we were looking at anyway
her: so we're off the ground and wont have rocks in our back like last time at TDS?
me: nope
her: OK, I like it

This coming from the woman that said "I really like the Cruiser better than the Astro van, but if we get it you have to lift it & put bigger tires on, I dont want to drive it looking like that (stock)". She didnt flinch when I said we'd also have to re-gear it & might as well put ARB's in while we're at it. I really love my wife.

I love your wife too. You almost done with her? :D

Just in case any of you who get this tent are going to use Yakimas like me, there is one little issue you need to address.

The U shaped mounting brackets on the bottom of the tent that fit over the bars are sorta' close together which leads to the tent sliding from drivers side to passenger side when you go around turns.

I remedied this by sliding the tent against the side from which you would like it to open. ie: If you want it to open over the PS, orient the tent thusly and push it against the towers on the PS.

Then, right next to the inside U-brackets (the ones not touching the towers) I wrapped a couple of strips of old inner tube rubber cut into 1.5" strips. I then put a nice stainless hose clamp around that and cranked it down. Does not look bad and it keeps the tent in place.

Here is a pic.

Hope it saves a you guys a little time.
tent stopper.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom