Captains Chair x Bench Seat Swap Completed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After months of searching and planning, I finally
got around to a fellow GXer on my road trip who wanted my captains for his bench. It is LITERALLY plug and play, nearly everything is identical. Just 14mm bolts, plastic removal tools and a couple plugs. Took us about an hour and a half on both trucks. The only thing that needs to be noted is the plastic trimming that covers the rails NEEDS to be swapped along with the seats. The plastic retaining clips line up with the bolt pattern on each seat. Also, shoutout to GX Bob’s video, which is essentially the process.

IMG_4395.jpeg

IMG_4398.jpeg

IMG_4402.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

IMG_4409.jpeg

This is awesome! I have been pondering this as well. My 2013 has the bench and my wife’s 2020 has captains, I would love to switch hers over to the bench.

Last edited:
This is awesome! I have been pondering this as well. My 2013 has the bench and my wife’s 2020 has captains, I would to switch hers over to the bench.
It’s super simple! Just make sure when you do the swap, either both have either heated or non-heated. I’m sure it’s still no issue if the other person doesn’t care to lose the feature, would probably just have to zip tie that connector somewhere.

Not sure why one would ever want the captains chairs.
You have practically the same functionality. With the bench, they both recline independently, both have their own seat heaters, both slide forward/aft and when you fold down the center arm rest AND you get two cup holders too!

The captains best feature is ease of access to third row seats.

Not sure why one would ever want the captains chairs.

Dont have them in my GX but I do in my Telluride. Captains are a convenience with young kids and the ability of putting things between the chairs: snack bag, small cooler, road trip games, books, etc. Plus one less seat crack I have to vacuum gold fish crackers out of! can leave the car seats attached while others squeeze by to go to 3rd row. A downside is that there are very limited options of doing a full wall pet barrier behind the 2nd row. Ended up using a black metal garden fence panel and strapping to head rests

Glad you finally made it happen! (We discussed this on Reddit like 5x before realizing you have heated rear seats and I don't haha)

If anyone in the Northeast has a base 460 (i.e., no heated rear seats) and wants to swap their captins' chairs for my bench lemme know...

Glad you finally made it happen! (We discussed this on Reddit like 5x before realizing you have heated rear seats and I don't haha)

If anyone in the Northeast has a base 460 (i.e., no heated rear seats) and wants to swap their captins' chairs for my bench lemme know...
Haha indeed!! Best of luck brother, least I was able to confirm this for you!

Dont have them in my GX but I do in my Telluride. Captains are a convenience with young kids and the ability of putting things between the chairs: snack bag, small cooler, road trip games, books, etc. Plus one less seat crack I have to vacuum gold fish crackers out of! can leave the car seats attached while others squeeze by to go to 3rd row. A downside is that there are very limited options of doing a full wall pet barrier behind the 2nd row. Ended up using a black metal garden fence panel and strapping to head rests
I guess one other benefit of captains chairs is the "he touched me/she touched me" squabbles of children, since each are separated in their own seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom