Can't program replacement remote for 97 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wrxmodders.com
Hey guys, I'm having some issues trying to program a keyless remote that I purchased off of ebay. I verified that this remote is the correct FCC ID to work with my LX, and I followed the programming procedures that I ran across on various online sources including this board.

Here is what I've tried thus far:

1) With ignition in the "on" position I depress the green programming button under the driver's seat for 3 seconds until the security light turns on.

2) While simultaneously holding the programming button, I press the first button on the remote. In doing so, that security light flashes several times and then turns off. I've tried pushing the first button on the remote AFTER depressing the green programming button, but the security light remains constant and shows no reaction.

This is where I'm stuck. Even if the security light flashes after following the above procedure, the car does not respond to the remote.

What am I doing wrong?

help

I need to do this too, so all I can add is this pic that I kept of how to.
TVSS%2520Page%252012[1].jpg

...... I've tried pushing the first button on the remote AFTER depressing the green programming button, but the security light remains constant and shows no reaction.

This is where I'm stuck. Even if the security light flashes after following the above procedure, the car does not respond to the remote.

What am I doing wrong?

I am confused. Does the security light remain constant or flashes?

What color is your remote? Gray remote with the same FCC ID will not work.

Toyota Vehicle Security System

For those that need reference to the TVSS manual, here it is, from my fzj80:
TVSS 1 of 7.jpg
TVSS 2 of 7.jpg
TVSS 3 of 7.jpg

There are 7 scans in all:
TVSS 4 of 7.jpg
TVSS 5 of 7.jpg
TVSS 6 of 7.jpg

Sorry for the poor resolution. It was the only way I could squeeze these on here, with the required minimal file size. Hope it's legible. Might try zooming to 125%.:meh:
TVSS 7 of 7.jpg

I've tried the above steps listed in the manual. Bear in mind this is not an OEM remote, but rather an aftermarket unit that was "guaranteed" to work with my LX.

I initiate the programming mode by holding the button down for three second, and while continuing to hold same button, I press the first button on the remote. The LED indicator flashes a few times AFTER I press the remote, so I'm sure it is communicating with the remote, however after the fact the alarm does not respond at all to the new remote.

I am having the exact same issue with my 97LX. Did you ever find a solution? I purchased a remote off ebay and it will not program. I made sure the FCC code ended in the -032 (which is for Lexus) instead of the -019 (or something close to that) which is for Toyota. I have followed the steps listed above to a "T" with zero success. Not sure what to do now.

I have now spent WAY too much time trying to figure this out and all I'm getting is conflicting info. Some say the yota and Lexus alarms are the same (RS3000 or something) and the remotes are interchangeable. Others say they are not interchangalbe. If you go to lexus and dealer websites they all seem to give different part/FCC numbers. I have found 4 FCC codes now that were used during 97 for the Lexus and Yota models. People have verified success with each and others claimed each of the 4 will not work. Here's the numbers. They all start with:
BAB237131 and then vary with the last 3 digits. The -022 seems to come in a gray version and a black version. Clones and factory originals are all over ebay for cheap. Then there is -019 which shows up as a Lexus remote on ebay but as a yota remote on other sites. I ordered the -019 remote and it didn't work. Then there is the -032 which seems to have the most opinions of it working with a Lexus. Well I can now verify that it doesn't. So I now have two remotes with different FCC codes and neither work. Not sure if I should try the -022 (which I still have no idea if I should gamble with the black one or gray one). I wish somebody on this forum has purchased an aftermarket remote for their LX450 and had success programming it. I just can't afford the $128 the dealer wants for a new remote.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200943868255&ssPageName=STRK:MERFB:IID

I have had great success using this remote, cheaply made but at 2 for $30.00 order more than you need. Followed the instructions and in less than a minute they were operational!

Did you use this for an 80 or LX450? I have seen plenty of threads with guys having success programming their 80's with aftermarket remotes, but I have not found a thread with a LX450 having success.

Last edited:
There must be at least one LX450 owner that has had success programming an aftermarket remote. It's time to chime in on your experience.

Yes the link I posted has worked on my LX. This is the second order for the same remotes. One of the first two came apart, so I ordered again, the instructions that they provided worked exactly as stated on the instruction page they sent.

I just wish there were a key-integrated fob for my '94. One less thing on the ring.

Yes the link I posted has worked on my LX. This is the second order for the same remotes. One of the first two came apart, so I ordered again, the instructions that they provided worked exactly as stated on the instruction page they sent.

Do you still have the instructions? I'm curious to see if they are the same as the ones I received. Is this the one you purchased? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Toyota-...Lexus|Model:LX450&hash=item2ecb126308&vxp=mtr
The pic of the remote it is replacing doesn't look anything like my Lexus remote so I'm a little confused by that. I also came across another website that has a 5th FCC code for the Lexus which is BAB237131-013. Now I'm getting REALLY confused on what I need. I looked at some reviews of the one you posted earlier and quite a few people posted that it didn't work for them and they had to return it. I wonder why yours worked?

Last edited:
To program, you need to push the green button on the black box under the driver's seat for 3 seconds until the security light on the dash lights up. It will stay lit for 5 seconds, and all you need to do is push the first button on your remote and the lights will flash. You are then done. It took me less than a minute to program my used remote.

This is what worked on my '97 LX450, really short and sweet, took longer to locate the button on the side of the remote brain under the drivers seat. Hope this helps you out.

To program, you need to push the green button on the black box under the driver's seat for 3 seconds until the security light on the dash lights up. It will stay lit for 5 seconds, and all you need to do is push the first button on your remote and the lights will flash. You are then done. It took me less than a minute to program my used remote.

This is what worked on my '97 LX450, really short and sweet, took longer to locate the button on the side of the remote brain under the drivers seat. Hope this helps you out.

I have done those exact steps with zero luck. I guess I will give the one you used from ebay a try. I just sent the first one back for a full refund and I'm in the process of getting the 2nd one returned and reimbursed.

I've been in the the same boat for a several weeks with a similar aftermarket remote. This is my second remote of this type and the first one programed with no problems.
That remote worked for a few years before it finally fell apart.
The new replacement remote will not program. I don't have a functioning remote and no easy way to test the remote or the main unit.
I'll try it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom