Can You Drive Safely Without Front Drive Shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
I'm thinking about dropping off my front drive shaft at the shop for balancing and was wondering how safe it is to drive at highway speeds without it? It's my DD, and I can't leave the rig at the shop...
Thanks !

I drove mine for a month without. no issues. My viscous coupler was locked, so mine would not stray down the hill in park. Make sure you use your ebrake.

If you can lock your center differential, then yes, you can safely drive without a front drive shaft.

The option to run without one of my driveshafts, is the key reason I plan to put in a center diff lock switch (CDL).

If you don't have a CDL, search for threads how to keep the CDL (after you lock it in low range) by pulling a fuse. (I forget which fuse to pull.)

(edit) I found one of the threads that said which fuse to pull. Loud squeal from under the truck?

Last edited:
Turn vehicle On, shift transfer case lever to LO (engages Center Diff Lock, CDL), shut vehicle Off, remove Diff Lock fuse (bottom right pink square fuse in dash fuse box), shift transfer case to HI. The CDL will remain locked as the CDL motor no longer is getting power.

Two orange lights should come on, lower left instrument cluster; ABS and Diff Lock, indicating ABS has been deactivated and the CDL is locked. The CDL will remain locked until you replace the fuse. You can drive the vehicle indefinitely in this mode with one driveshaft removed.

Never drive with one driveshaft removed unless the CDL is locked; you can burn up the viscous coupler in vehicles so equiped, but also the vehicle will roll even if the transmission is Park (unless the Emergency brake is engaged).

Above applies to 80 series with factory AWD.

Last edited:
Yes I can lock the center... Thanks guys!

Sure in a full-time 4wd 80 just lock the CDL then take off whichever tail shaft you need off the vehicle.

My 80 is factory part-time 4wd so it's almost always in 2wd mode (driving on rear axle only), but I have driven it on just the front axle once when I had the rear diff go bad. Dropped off rear tailshaft, selected high range 4wd, locked the front hubs, and off I went with a front-wheel drive 80 series! No drivability issues at all except being mindful that on dirt the front is going to have a lot of weight off it going up any hill.

The part-time transfer cases do not have any electric centre diff-lock, so I don't know if selecting either 4H or 4L is the same as having a CDL or not.

Thanks guys- as always, the input's so helpful!!
Cheers, Ice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom