Can you clean a Specter water can of gas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HelloKitty65

SILVER Star
Threads
Figuired this might be the place to ask.
Don't ask how said gas got into said brown water container.
It was only in there momentarily.
I've been washing and rinsing for a few weeks now. Can still smell it. Can it be made clean again?

Did you try baking soda? Man the smell of gas would be a tough one!

Will do. My next step is to just convince myself it's not so bad..

Will do. My next step is to just convince myself it's not so bad..
I’m thinking air it out for a day then drop a match in it? As for actually getting the fuel residue out of the can I believe you would have to use a series of petroleum cleaning agents, ultimately flush that out with DI water until it was all gone. I would try Dawn dish soap (not kidding) but that will leave a residue also. Then fill with DI water and let it sit for a day rinse and repeat with only DI water till it’s all gone. No promise but that’s what I would do.

Tried Dawn. It foamed forever trying to rinse that out. Tried letting it sit a day. Tried repeating that 4x. It's all helped ever so slightly. The mouth of the can is wide, a thing I haven't tried is reaching in to scrub with a sponge. My fear is there are cavities in the handle. Patience may be key. Thanks.

Last edited:
Throw some Denture Cleansing Tablets in it and let it set over night.

Once jerry cans contain gasoline o diesel , they can't contain any more DRINKING water .
that's how it is .
of course you can clean , bake , soap , scrub , but traces of fuel will always remain .
they are highly cancerous .
I would not spend time in the attempt of cleaning .
if your life is cheaper then a plastic jerry can .

bye Renago

Unless it's life or death, you're not going to want to put potable water in that jerry can ever again. It might be physically possible to get it clean 'enough,' but unless you consider your time literally worthless (and you want to buy a bunch of specialized equipment and/or cleaning supplies), you'll be *so* far past the price of a new can (for something that'll still probably give you a whiff of gasoline smell occasionally) that it's a no-brainer.

Think of it as a somewhat expensive mistake to be learned from and moved past, like if you left an empty can too close to the fire and melted it. Don't throw good time and money after a ruined water can.

Agree getting another water jug makes the most sense. That said, restaurant supply stores have “food safe” degreasers. URM or Cash and Carry. Or see if your local greasy spoon will tip some degreaser in your jug. For a good rinse, run a hose in the jug for the day.

I would not use for water again. Not drinking water.

Paint the can red.

Paint the can red.
Yes, but the water cans don't have a spout like the gas cans, and the openings are different. Next time I'll hold out for the less common blue water cans.

use it for waste water under a camp sink. Label it grey water. I used to have a sink that had a hose on it and you would lower it into a bucket. Then go drain the bucket somewhere other than right in your camp site with food flavoured water for animals to come and dig around at.

Bummer.

I don't remember the specific plastics off hand but I'm pretty sure they are made of different materials, the fuel scepter vs the water-scepter. Pretty sure the Googs will get you the pertinent info there.
But yeah, sucky. Paint it red and Fab a spout or rig it for gravity-feed and use it only for fuel.
It may also further degrade with gasoline in it though...

Last edited:
Figuired this might be the place to ask.
Don't ask how said gas got into said brown water container.
It was only in there momentarily.
I've been washing and rinsing for a few weeks now. Can still smell it. Can it be made clean again?
Princess Auto in Canada will ship you a new one for about $40 Can. Just get a new one. Put a hole through the old one so it doesn’t get used again.

Princess Auto in Canada will ship you a new one for about $40 Can. Just get a new one. Put a hole through the old one so it doesn’t get used again.
If only they'd ship south of the 49th parallel! 😆😁

But yeah, for OP.....ROAD TRIP!! 🤘👍🤘

It’s a water can. I wonder why not. I will try to find a source that will ship.

ebay is sometimes your best bet --

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom