Can you adapt a 89-95 Toyota 4Runner Inside Rear view Mirror Map Light to a fj60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
Any body know if you can easily adapt one of these to fit an fj-60?

I'd love to have tap lights up front like to do in my tundra.

1605114545123.png

G3 89-95 Toyota 4Runner Inside Rear view Mirror Map Light Pickup TAN BEIGE BROWN | eBay

I’d be curious if this too... my rear view is sloppy and changed angles at every bump.

Huh, this is an interesting thought. On the face it would seem pretty simple as long as you can secure it. Running a fused wire would be pretty easy with some fish tape. Be really cool if you can adapt it to fit over the stock 60 series mirror arm (like in my case where I have a Wit's End Gentex mirror mount). I'd LOVE to have a map light in my 62.

I’d be curious if this too... my rear view is sloppy and changed angles at every bump.

If these turn out to be a bust, I highly recommend an 80-series mirror. Bolted right in, slightly different angle/placement, but I was really happy with the improvement over the sloppy and untightenable original.

I'd love to see what the bolt pattern is, though -- it seems like Toyota actually kept it pretty narrowed down back when they were deciding how to mount their rear-views to their ceilings. I can almost picture the two screws that would go in, under that little cover right where the mirror arm sticks out, just like the 60 original, the 80 replacement, and I wanna say Celicas, probably among plenty of others.

ok, so I bought it off ebay, if i get it to work I'll post up here how I did it.
Just going to worry about mounting it as the wiring will be easy. just fish a wire to the dome light.

Are you going to modify the visors? Its looks to me like it won't fit between and forward enough to cover the existing hole. I love the idea though. If this doesn't work I'm definitely going to try to do the single light from a pickup. Its a pet peeve that the dome is so far back that you have a shadow in front of you if you need read. I'm inspired

*Nifty overuse warning :*

Some cars like my DD (Saab 9-5) have a nifty swivel map light. The Fj60 doesn't really have the same roof controls but one of these swivel type lights would be nifty to build into a mirror. Seen on the middle right in this photo.

1605651509272.png

Last edited:
Are you going to modify the visors? Its looks to me like it won't fit between and forward enough to cover the existing hole. I love the idea though. If this doesn't work I'm definitely going to try to do the single light from a pickup. Its a pet peeve that the dome is so far back that you have a shadow in front of you if you need read. I'm inspired

Good idea, i have several rear view mirrors with lights for my 1980 pickup!

The fixture above will take a lot of time and effort to make work well.

I've got a pickup light, it's a 3 hole mounting plan, and the LC is a 2 hole, the patterns dont match up

here is my current plan

One of these

1606244324781.png

Amazon product ASIN B00HWLQM7U
I got the diffused one. (it's not very diffused) it fits on the existing mirror cover, and all i have to do is drill and tap for an m6(?) screw to go through the middle to hold it up, then hide the wiring somehow.

I'm tempted to try doubled permanent tape to hold it on the plastic cover, and then drill a hidden hole for the wire.
Then just run it to the out put of the current dome lamp.

it fits on the cover without huge overlaps (i think it fit fine)

The fixture above will take a lot of time and effort to make work well.

I've got a pickup light, it's a 3 hole mounting plan, and the LC is a 2 hole, the patterns dont match up

here is my current plan

One of these

View attachment 2505503
Amazon product ASIN B00HWLQM7U
I got the diffused one. (it's not very diffused) it fits on the existing mirror cover, and all i have to do is drill and tap for an m6(?) screw to go through the middle to hold it up, then hide the wiring somehow.

I'm tempted to try doubled permanent tape to hold it on the plastic cover, and then drill a hidden hole for the wire.
Then just run it to the out put of the current dome lamp.

it fits on the cover without huge overlaps (i think it fit fine)

If you get a chance, can you post a picture of this LED fixture next to a quarter or something, so we can get an idea of size...

I like that light for the rear cargo area!

If you get a chance, can you post a picture of this LED fixture next to a quarter or something, so we can get an idea of size...

I like that light for the rear cargo area!

Use the toyota one for the normal dome light. Use the samurai one for the cargo light. THEY ARE FREAKING BRIGHT AS CRAP. like seriously. I can use the cargo light for all of my camping needs for interior lighting now thats how bright it is

I already upgraded to super bright,LEDs for the domes, and it's super bright, I was originally trying to get a click on/click off map light ... now I'm deep in the weeds

Here is a pic of a guy hand next to the original fixture, for scale

1606253418740.png

and one of the cyclone light

1606253610704.png

the cyclone light has an available adapter to make it fit on rollbar tubing, I'm probably going to do that for my fj40

If these turn out to be a bust, I highly recommend an 80-series mirror. Bolted right in, slightly different angle/placement, but I was really happy with the improvement over the sloppy and untightenable original.

I'd love to see what the bolt pattern is, though -- it seems like Toyota actually kept it pretty narrowed down back when they were deciding how to mount their rear-views to their ceilings. I can almost picture the two screws that would go in, under that little cover right where the mirror arm sticks out, just like the 60 original, the 80 replacement, and I wanna say Celicas, probably among plenty of others.
Got pictures??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom