Cam's FJ60 Gets a Heart Transplant (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Blast from the past. Driveshaft has "Urban Landcruisers" written on it from their driveshaft shop. Rebuilt/rebalanced when they put in the Race 2F.

image.jpg

Last edited:
How did that go Onur?

They didn't have my truck - but he kept my sizable deposit for a loooooong time.

Luckily the future owners of ACC started working there and started digging him out of his hole. Michael was the only one that would answer the phone or return calls or emails.

I found this album of the then-new motor on his site, there used to be more at one time.

http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/photos/?album=MotorReplacementFJ60

similar swaps all over the board going on at present...60s and 80's, you should have plenty of good info to soak in...always good to learn from others before you fire up the torch or welder.

Yep. My biggest concern right now is this stupid DBW pedal. The FJ60 pedal curves slightly left, this one takes a hard right. It really doesn't fit in there as is.

And it is 100% plastic, so I can't bend it or weld it.

image.jpg

The Gen IV's are pickier about using the right DBW pedal, so it doesn't sound like I can swap for a straight drop metal corvette pedal.

It's also much more difficult, AKA more $$$, to set up cruise control with the Gen IV.

Most of the swaps out on the internet (and information) are with the Gen III's.

I'm chasing a few leads though. We'll see where they take me.

Last edited:
I can whip out the plasma cutter for you, we'll have it turning off hard left in no time. Might have a couple small marks left, but they'll buff right out....

I can whip out the plasma cutter for you, we'll have it turning off hard left in no time. Might have a couple small marks left, but they'll buff right out....

We'll start with the hi-lift. If that doesn't get it, we'll try the plasma cutter!

I've not paid specific attention to models but don't some switch over to a cable and do away with drive by wire?

Switching to cable throttle is soooo 2000's. In the teens, dbw is the way to go.

However, Gen III & Gen IV have completely different methods of handling the pedal. The III's are much easier to work with.

Gen III have one giant computer and then a TAC module which runs the pedal. The pedal just has to match the TAC module.

Gen IV's have two smaller, faster computers - an ECM, and a transmission TCM. There is no TAC module, it's all handled by the ECM. The pedal has to match the ECM.

To further complicate things, the pedal wiring (and cruise control) gets routed through a separate body wiring harness so it's a little more work to extract just what you need. Especially the cruise control. I've only been able to find one place that has been proven to be able to provide CC on a gen iv and they are pretty expensive.

The harness guy I'm thinking of using says he can, but we'll see.

I'm getting mixed information on whether I can simply plug in a car pedal (Corvette or Monte Carlo) to my truck computer. The car pedals are smaller and better shaped for the FJ60. Plus they have metal arms so they can be modified.

I'll probably just buy one and find out once and for all when the time comes.

I found this in the Painless Wiring instructions that a Corvette pedal will work if you switch some wires.

I've also read on the interwebs that this doesn't work. Harness dude says to use the original pedal.

I will try it before attacking that awful plastic behemoth.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This looks like the way to go. It's hard to imagine that they'd take the time to document this mod so thoroughly if it didn't work.

Here's some bathroom reading for you...

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/60526.pdf

I find it interesting that they don't offer a harness with my engine/trans combo. Something about a speed sensor in the transmission.

The AA adapter kit puts a VSS into the "new" tailhousing for the 4L60E, so maybe it would work.

I'm not using Painless, I just found it curious.

I ended up ordering a Monte Carlo pedal. It needs the same wire swap as the Corvette but is supposed to fit better. And it's cheaper.

In the first half-dozen swaps I saw in the 60-section, people were having to run pressure regulators. Now it seems common knowledge to use the Corvette fuel filter with a built in pressure regulator. Not only is the plumbing much easier, but it's only $30 vs $150.

31lXa%2BSYrIL.jpg

I think I've also found easy solutions to putting the Toyota water temp and oil pressure senders in the 5.3 to keep my stock dumb gauges. The only thing I'll need to change is the tach - it needs an extra 2000 rpms!

Got the split case off, and the H55 is heading off to its new home!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now my carport will forever smell like gear oil!

I think I found a solution to the cruise control. The problem on the gen iv is that the CC function and a bunch of other interior things are controlled by a BCM (body control module.) You can't simply run wires to the ECM, it has to pass through this module.

The only solution I've found is from a place called Spanky's rod shop. They offer a kit that plugs inline with the pedal. It also has a module to convert the signal and sends it back to the ECM. I called them to see how much, and it was north of $500.

I started doing some more digging and overthinking and found this kit. It does the same thing as Spanky's kit. It wires inline and has a CC module. And it's about half the price.

http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.co...silverado-complete-rostra-cruise-control-kit/

I'll need the harness guy to run a VSS wire, and I'll need to tap into the new brake switch I have to put in and it should be good to go. (I'll need to remember to swap the two wires for the pedal!)

Instructions: https://store-mvi5aa5.mybigcommerce.com/content/1848.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom