Here is a question.....I have a RTT on the camping trailer I purchased in Dec. The RTT is a little smaller than I want and doesn't have a changing room or annex under it so I want to upgrade. What brand is considered a good brand with the features I want without spending a fortune? This is a new area for me so I appreciate any advice.
We built a platform the full lengthand width of my F250 that was 8' off the ground with a sleeping platform over the bed and another over the hood. We also had a shower set up off one corner. This was for the Philadelphia Folk Fest. We camped for 5 days and nights. I worked back stage security at the evening shows. So I had free tickets and camping all week along with free meals all week. We did it for three years. No photos, this was before computers showed up.
Here are two photos of the camping trailer I purchased in Dec. There were a number of things wrong with it; the tires were dry rotted and I was lucky to make it back home on them, the tongue box literally fell off when I pulled on it once home, the drawer slides were all rusty and the ones under the burners fell apart when I tried to push it back in, the cooler hinges needed to be replaced and unknown to me the floor of the RTT was rotted enough that the new owner had to replace the entire floor. The rot was hidden. The tongue jack was a joke, it mounted to the tongue on a round fixture which was welded to the frame and had been hit hard, hard enough to bend the frame and the jack was wobbly. And, all the door hinges were cheap steel hinges which I replaced with stainless steel hinges. So I covered it up against the weather and waited for warmer weather to begin work.
The first thing I did was remove those hideous stickers, then replaced the tires and wheels. The owner tried to clean the inside of the trailer with over cleaner on the greasy areas and the oven cleaner did a number on the aluminum. I did put all the racks through the dishwasher and cleaned the interior the best that I could. Looks good in the photo but looks much better now. I ordered a new RTT from REI and had a frame built to add an additional 16" of height to the trailer so I could fit an annex under the RTT and have adequate headroom to at least stand.
The diamond plate box on the front was what trapped water in the RTT causing the rot. The box wasn't well waterproofed and leaked as well so it was of no use to me. There was also a 28 gallon water tank on a shelf above the cooler which had the fill opening in the upper box and that hole allowed water to pour through the hole into the body of the trailer. And the hose that connected to the tank was in shambles so the whole tank was removed and replaced with a storage shelf. Water will be stored in four 7 gallon stacking tanks in the right side.
So I rebuilt the tongue box and it is much sturdier and useful now. The way it was placed on the tongue prior allowed for water to flow behind the hinge and into the box. I hope to have the problem fixed now. The upper box was added and the ends and sides have been riveted into place. I'm sorry it looks so sloppy but I am waiting on the Monstaliner to arrive so I can coat the top and mount the RTT in place. I still need to mount the leveling jacks under the rear, have a new tongue jack welded into place, coat the hideous fenders with Monstaliner, add clearance lights on the sides, add lights which will go under the awning and a few other details before I can put this to use.
Then once the trailer is complete I can start on the 40, I have to add a brake controller so the trailer brakes will work. Then replace the rusty fuel tank and replace the head with a head that is currently being rebuilt. A busy summer in front of me for sure.
Second coat is on and curing. The instructions say it takes seven days to fully cure so I have ample time to finish the other details that need to be addressed. The first coat dried to the stage where the second coat could be applied rather quickly, a little quicker than I expected. What I didn't expect were the little nubs that were in the second coat. I assume the catalyst worked quick and the nubs came from the coating which was left covered in the can while I applied the first coat. So now I have a few little nubs which I will cut off once I have time. I will say this, the coating looks thicker than I expected and I hope it will live up to its billing. (BTW The tongue box is coated with Herculiner from a spray can. That finish is a little flatter, not as thick and has a small sandy texture to it that the Monstaliner doesn't have. The Herculiner did go on easily from the can and took four days to dry to a non-tacky feel. The Monstaliner is now non-tacky an hour after finishing the application.)