Camping Equipment for Our Trucks (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In between times I was taken away for other demands, I managed to get the doors installed on the upper storage box and wired the lights in under the awning. It will be a bright area at night.

DSCN0764.JPG

Hmmmmm, who'll be the first :)

air-conditioning-for-tents-top-3-tent-air-conditioners-for-camping-in-2018-top-3-rated.jpg

I think the first time I saw something like this was when Marshall ran an extension cord through the camp to the shower house down at Lake Jocasse

This goes beyond Izzy, doesn't it?

Pretty sure he has a servant fanning him as another feeds him grapes in his tent ;)

I realize this goes under the heading of my vanity but when I started building the trailer I purchased tires and wheels I though would look good. The wheels are US Wheels 8 x 15 white spokes and the tires are Kumho Road Venture 31 x 10 x 15's. I liked the look but no matter how much I looked at it I just wasn't really satisfied. The more I looked then more I wished I had purchased tires and wheels to match the ones on the 40.

DSCN0767.JPG

So last week I bit the bullet and ordered matching wheels and tires and had them mounted yesterday.

DSCN0768.JPG

I like the look better and I hope it will be a little more stable on the highway with the wider track.

However, once I tried to mount the first tire I quickly ran into a problem. The whole brake drum wobbled and when I took off the cap I found the castle nut had backed off enough to loosen the drum. Further inspection found the retainer was almost destroyed by someone who tried to turn it under the castle nut, the adjuster was loose and laying in the drum as was a spring and the grease seal looked to be on its last legs. Now to tow it off to a trailer shop to have the electric brakes overhauled.

I realize this goes under the heading of my vanity but when I started building the trailer I purchased tires and wheels I though would look good. The wheels are US Wheels 8 x 15 white spokes and the tires are Kumho Road Venture 31 x 10 x 15's. I liked the look but no matter how much I looked at it I just wasn't really satisfied. The more I looked then more I wished I had purchased tires and wheels to match the ones on the 40.

View attachment 2004530

So last week I bit the bullet and ordered matching wheels and tires and had them mounted yesterday.

View attachment 2004531

I like the look better and I hope it will be a little more stable on the highway with the wider track.

However, once I tried to mount the first tire I quickly ran into a problem. The whole brake drum wobbled and when I took off the cap I found the castle nut had backed off enough to loosen the drum. Further inspection found the retainer was almost destroyed by someone who tried to turn it under the castle nut, the adjuster was loose and laying in the drum as was a spring and the grease seal looked to be on its last legs. Now to tow it off to a trailer shop to have the electric brakes overhauled.

Nice trailer!!

Did you build it from scratch? That thing is awesome.

Nice trailer!!

Did you build it from scratch? That thing is awesome.

Thank you! Bought it from the original maker last Dec. I had been looking for one for a while and this one was a good start. I'm just about finished. More photos once the finishing touches are made.

Just returned from the trailer shop. They rebuilt the brakes, installed new seals, packed the bearings with fresh grease and added new caps. Then the big news, I took it to the shop because I was concerned about losing a wheel since the castle nut tab was butchered. As it turns out that was a minor problem! Actually an inconvenience. Seems the fellow who built the trailer installed the brake drums on the wrong wheels so the brakes wouldn't work even if I had a good tab on the castle nut. So when 12 volt power was applied to the brakes it actually closed the shoes rather than opening them onto the drums. Good to find out about it now rater than later.

Does anyone have an opinion or experience with Dometic coolers? Considering one for the trailer today during their 20% off sale.

Dometic has been around for a long, long time. On-par with engel, arb and others, if not better in some cases.

I'm going to get a dometic cooler for my camper when i get to that stage.

Do they have a better stateside presence now? My first fridge was a Waeco/Dometic and it sits unusable in our place now because some of the electronics took a dump. I had a hard time finding parts or info on how to fix...no customer support to speak of.

Does anyone have an opinion or experience with Dometic coolers? Considering one for the trailer today during their 20% off sale.
Agree with Johnny, they are the original manufacturer for many other brands, have been around and do have a great product. Long good quality history.

Do they have a better stateside presence now? My first fridge was a Waeco/Dometic and it sits unusable in our place now because some of the electronics took a dump. I had a hard time finding parts or info on how to fix...no customer support to speak of.

What model? Want to part with it?

They seem to have a much better presence now, yes. They seem to be pushing hard in the overlanding segment. Lots of "full time" truck camper people have dometics these days.

What model? Want to part with it?

They seem to have a much better presence now, yes. They seem to be pushing hard in the overlanding segment. Lots of "full time" truck camper people have dometics these days.
If I can find the right parts/support, then I can likely fix it and use it in the wife's truck. I replaced two main boards in the control panel as well as the thermistor. The only thing I did not get around to replacing is the Danfoss controller. Might dig into it again to see if I can resurrect it.

I tried to find a local RV shop that did work on full time Dometics, but no one wanted to touch it. This was several years ago (I had a thread on it in the gear forum).

Try YouTube, you can do anything after watching YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom