Camping Equipment for Our Trucks (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What cots are everyone using. I’m in the market for a new one and looking for something comfortable but packs up small.
I’ve been using An older Colman with an Aluminum frame. It’s comfortable but it doesn’t pack very small. It’s akward shaped and when you carry 2 it kills your space.

That sounds like a great size measurement for a hand axe, "boy's axe", or hatchet. A full size axe for felling or splitting should be much longer to be safe.
Smaller axes are handy for limbing trees and working on small things but obviously not great for splitting. I'm no expert at splitting wood but the longer axe will hit the ground if you miss hopefully instead of your leg.

I keep a smaller one with my gear but found out how hard it would be to split wood for a campfire a couple of weeks ago. I'm rethinking and might carry a full sized axe.

Council Tool is an NC company that makes nice axes. They're not Scandinavian but they don't cost quite as much either. Nice choice between Chinese and expensive.
Same here. I've got a Fiskars and although handy, it is too damn small for heavier duty work.

BTW, the Fiskars worked great for separating the head from the body of the pig at Logan's Run.

Do most of you guys use your full size axe for splitting? When I picked up the Helko hatchet I was going back and forth between a fullsize axe and the hatchet. It seemed like most of the axe designs were more for felling and not splitting. To me, for camping, it just seemed like a hatchet was more practical. I have a maul I use for splitting, and we do have some wood on the property but I mainly use a chainsaw for that. Just curious what the guys that carry a full size axe use it for?

The hatchet is offered in 9", 14" and 17".

I have to say that I love my Fiskars 8lb, 36" splitting maul.

I've been using the Fiskars X27 as my splitting axe for the last 3 years - it has been amazing compared to any other splitting axe and/or maul I have used in the past.

I buy three split dump truck loads of fire wood a year. I hand split kindling with an old boy scout hatchet and a 2lb hand sledge. It's pretty efficient. As far as an axe on the trail I would like to find a mid length handle that I like. Called a limbing axe I believe.

I buy three split dump truck loads of fire wood a year. I hand split kindling with an old boy scout hatchet and a 2lb hand sledge. It's pretty efficient. As far as an axe on the trail I would like to find a mid length handle that I like. Called a limbing axe I believe.
Pretty much what I do. I use a maul when splitting at the house and the hatchet/hammer combo once I have it at least quartered. Generally I prefer to just use the Stihl and roll it to someone running a splitter. :)

All this ax talk has me wanting to buy another one. I can see me opening the Amazon prime box in front of the wife now. "What the heck do you need ANOTHER ax for? We have gas heat."

All this ax talk has me wanting to buy another one. I can see me opening the Amazon prime box in front of the wife now. "What the heck do you need ANOTHER ax for? We have gas heat."

Damn. I just felt bad imagining that look from Shannon.

I'm sure explaining that there are many uses for axes to include carving, throwing, chopping, splitting . . .

Just show her this informational site:

Choosing an axe - Gränsfors Bruk

And then skip Amazon and go for one:

Boundary Waters Catalog| Canoe camping gear from Ely Minnesota & the Boundary Waters Quality & Excellent customer service from the World's Premier Outfitters Featuring Knives & Axes

So I'm looking to install a small water tank where my spare tire should go maybe 10 gallons for field showers and stuff like that camping.

I want to put a valve so I can pressurize the tank with a hand or foot pump to give myself pressure for a hose to rinse off with.

What do you guys think?

Something like this

View attachment 1557468

I just picked up a WATERPORT this summer for camping and i’m digging it. It is smaller then what you are looking for, but the advantage is that it is easy to fill.

WaterPORT: Vehicle Mounted Pressurized Shower

I just picked up a WATERPORT this summer for camping and i’m digging it. It is smaller then what you are looking for, but the advantage is that it is easy to fill.

WaterPORT: Vehicle Mounted Pressurized Shower
Giant FAIL on their part - how much fxxxing water does it hold? I'm not watching videos just to get basic, simple product descriptions that should be written in an easy to find location; next to the dimensions, perhaps? Hell, imagine how pissed I'd be if the video doesn't even mention that little tidbit of info?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
upload_2017-10-25_12-40-2.jpeg

Looks like a cool product! Reasonable price too. 3.3 gallons is pretty small though.

Those aren't bad but still alittle smaller than I'd like but I suppose you could always carry water to refill it if you wanted.

I was at northern tool sizing up some of there water tanks and they would hang down 2-4 inches lower than what I'd like but maybe I could just put some army water cans up there hook up some cheap harbor freight pump...

This may be a good option cheap I'm pretty sure it would fit too I think I can get away with a gallon or less a shower.

I wonder if I could add an alternative fill and drain plug I still wanna try to put it where the spare should go and I'm sure I could just lay under the truck give it a few pumps and boom good to go

Paint it black and strap it to the roof rack sideways. “Bug Spray Solar Shower” not for the vertically challenged mudder or overly lifted trucks. Aka biscuit

For clarity, I don’t know if that particular pump is good or not. I know a lot of the 2 gallon ones I’ve owned have been garbage and I’d expect it to leak after a month or two of use. But the one I have now for spraying weeds has lasted several years and it’s a cheap Home Depot one. Hit or miss I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom