Caliper question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JimJ

ATOYOHOLIC
Threads
Website
www.nanaimojim.com
So the front calipers on my 60 have been upgraded to larger 4-runner ones. Does anyone else who has upgraded have to use a spacer for wheel clearance?

I think that is an issue, certainly with 15" wheels. What wheels are you running?
Help with 16" & 17" Wheel Selection
This thread just started up and has info on it. You might need those thin 1/4" alum
plate spacers for clearance.

I could give you some 1/4" plate spacers but maybe just go back to stock calipers.
Can anyone here verify why the 4 runner calipers are better? Just bigger? Same rotors?

I could give you some 1/4" plate spacers but maybe just go back to stock calipers.
Can anyone here verify why the 4 runner calipers are better? Just bigger? Same rotors?

They have larger pistons I believe, and are a bit of an upgrade. The 15" wheels I ran for awhile did hit the calipers. I wasn't expecting it, and by the time I figured it out they'd already worn a channel in the rims. Could take an angle grinder to the edges of the caliper. It really is a pretty minor clearance issue. Spacers would work also. As would 16" rims.

I used to grind a 1/8" off the corner of my calipers when I ran 15" wheels. Not a big deal. I even
got a set of reman calipers in a box ground the same so I guess it didn't make any difference to the
remanufacturers either.

Thanks for the info Nick and John, I might try grinding some off then and give that a try.

Do a search, its been done on here with write ups for several years now so you should find lots useful info. The popular fix was a slight grind on the callipers for clearance on 15" rims. I have some sitting on a shelf but who knows when i'll be wheeling again... I think "slowandsteadybj60" put them on his 60 a while back also, so shoot em a message and see what he's got to say.

Do a search, its been done on here with write ups for several years now so you should find lots useful info. The popular fix was a slight grind on the callipers for clearance on 15" rims. I have some sitting on a shelf but who knows when i'll be wheeling again... I think "slowandsteadybj60" put them on his 60 a while back also, so shoot em a message and see what he's got to say.
OK thanks RP

OK, all done! thank you for your help too, much appreciated. It actually fit without grinding, it JUST fits but doesn't rub using stock chromed 15" 60 series rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom