California Title and Registration of Diesels

This is good advice. The people at CARB, at least the ones I spoke with, are way more knowledgeable and willing to discuss the ins and outs of their regs than the people at the DMV. I would absolutely call CARB and ask politely what the deal is. If you can, get them to email you whatever they tell you over the phone.
Backtrack, but forgot to post this ages ago. These are the last couple of emails I received while speaking with CARB and the modification center.

Regarding requirements and cost -
"Your vehicle requires modification, testing, and certification to meet California Standards. The cost is $9,950.00 and will take approximately 8-12 weeks to complete. Should you decide to pursue the certification of your vehicle, so you can register it in the state of California, please contact us at (714) 545-9503 ext. 219 to schedule the inspection of your vehicle.

Please provide a copy of all documents related to your vehicle such as the foreign title and customs entry forms. Thank you

Sincerely,

N*** G*** "

------------------------------------------

Regarding work performed -
"They add a new emissions control system, emissions dyno tuning, CARB FTP testing, Certificate of conformity, etc…. It’s a process and takes time. Good luck

Sincerely,

N*** G*** "

Dated 2019-01-09

Basically what you'd be looking at to get an old 70 series diesel registered in CA.

saltycoconuts

Currently accepting donations
Backtrack, but forgot to post this ages ago. These are the last couple of emails I received while speaking with CARB and the modification center.

Regarding requirements and cost -
"Your vehicle requires modification, testing, and certification to meet California Standards. The cost is $9,950.00 and will take approximately 8-12 weeks to complete. Should you decide to pursue the certification of your vehicle, so you can register it in the state of California, please contact us at (714) 545-9503 ext. 219 to schedule the inspection of your vehicle.

Please provide a copy of all documents related to your vehicle such as the foreign title and customs entry forms. Thank you

Sincerely,

N*** G*** "

------------------------------------------

Regarding work performed -
"They add a new emissions control system, emissions dyno tuning, CARB FTP testing, Certificate of conformity, etc…. It’s a process and takes time. Good luck

Sincerely,

N*** G*** "

Dated 2019-01-09

Basically what you'd be looking at to get an old 70 series diesel registered in CA.
I know someone who had this done to a defender 110. I don’t think I’d ever do this. Seems like a huge scheme.

saltycoconuts

Not a fan of big news channels but things are sounding interesting.

tlaporte

SILVER Star

I wish I could see the recent news as an indicator that there will be an impact on the ability to register older diesels or other grey market imports in California, but it seems to me that this will only have an impact on newly-built vehicles. Registration requirements are made at the state level rather than the federal level.

Well that’s good to hear u figured something out. I crossed my fingers when I got it from cruiser outfitters and it went smooth. Everything else went horrible tho- Unseen rust he never mentioned to me- broken cruise control- tranny needs a rebuild- had to redo breaks to be as good as my gasser- factory winch/bumper too light for old man emu suspension and factory winch broke- injector pump leaked needed a rebuild- struggle finding a reliable parts source - factory seats were broken- truck was slow compared to my gasser so- g turbo - exhaust - intake - Snorkel mods - valve body and billet torque converter.....:I’m at least 60k deep into a 1991 hdj81- Moral of the story - unless you made your money easily or unless you still make good money relatively easily don’t get a diesel 80 series.

saltycoconuts

Well that’s good to hear u figured something out. I crossed my fingers when I got it from cruiser outfitters and it went smooth. Everything else went horrible tho- Unseen rust he never mentioned to me- broken cruise control- tranny needs a rebuild- had to redo breaks to be as good as my gasser- factory winch/bumper too light for old man emu suspension and factory winch broke- injector pump leaked needed a rebuild- struggle finding a reliable parts source - factory seats were broken- truck was slow compared to my gasser so- g turbo - exhaust - intake - Snorkel mods - valve body and billet torque converter.....:I’m at least 60k deep into a 1991 hdj81- Moral of the story - unless you made your money easily or unless you still make good money relatively easily don’t get a diesel 80 series.

🤔 Wrong thread I think...

Top Bottom