California Diesel Registration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster.

I am trying to bring a lovely 83 BJ60 into California and I was under the impression it could be done, but I've now heard from a reliable source that the Reg 31 form has changed recently and it's no longer possible to get it legally registered. So my question is, has anyone tried to register a new diesel in CA in the last 6 months or so? I know there seems to be tons of different stories and opinions but any info is good info and I'm willing to jump through some hoops to do so. Just can't afford the 10K to take it to the state-approved lab for retrofit.

Thanks

There is no legal (as in legal in CA) way to do it. That being said, it doesn't stop people from going into the grey areas to make it happen. I was looking into this as I thought I may be taking a job offer there but decided against it at the end.

My PZJ70 came from a guy that lives in CA but was never able to register it there. God bless Texas.

Last edited:
You are better off spending your efforts in finding ways to register it out of state, while maintaining CA residence. From what I hear the retrofit route isn't all that straight forward either.

It will be getting a Washington title when it gets into the states, and I do have family there so that is certainly an option. Just hoping there was some way around it

It was more than 6 months ago, but I got it done out in Brawley DMV. Not to far from you. FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom