Cali frame but needs engine. Decisions, decisions…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a former owner of a FJ62, but now have my sites on a 2001 LC. I'm in the midwest so all I have been able to come up with are great running (as far as I can tell based on a test drive) rigs with an absurd amount of rust on the frame/undercarriage (not surprised). I was looking to spend $15k max, but haven't found a rust free - even surface rust rig after a couple months of looking.

I came a across a LC that is near me that was bought at auction but has a bad engine. Frame is outstanding (Cali). Took it to 2 shops and they confirmed that it would need to be replaced. At least 2 cylinders aren't firing up and a large amount of white smoke out of the exhaust. My questions are:

1) How cost effective would it be to replace the engine instead of buying a rustier running LC? I see engines anywhere from $1200-$3k
- Assuming I can get the rig for around $4k I could probably be well under my $15k budget plus adding tires, right?

2) Can I (a shop) put in the newer more powerful vvti in it instead? I've looked on forum but just see 100-series being swapped with tundra versions of uz-fe or 80s swapped with 2uz-fes.

I want to keep the LC for a long time because I had to get rid of my FJ62 (ran like a dream) due to a long move and the overall rust - it wasn't cost effective to bring her on the long move. I obviously miss her dearly, but prices on rust free 62s are getting out of hand and none exist within a 200 mile radius. This is why I'm leaning cleanest frame over a running rust bucket despite great maintenance records. I've scoured the forum and found great info pertaining to my question, but I would like some info specifically for my situation. Thoughts? Thanks for your time!

Why don't you look for one in the south and just drive it back? Much easier than doing an engine swap and hope that the engine you put in even works. There's a few here in Houston that looks decent. I see an '04 with 168K miles for $14900.

X2 there are SW and southern trucks out there, but you have to jump on them they go pretty fast .

The engine that I have in mind is at 67k from a reputable company 3yr/36,000 mile warranty parts/labor for $3k w/ valid paperwork & records. The warranty makes me more comfortable paying more for new engine than some others I've seen online with higher mileage and no warranty. So, if I went that route - Buy car @ $4k + $3k (engine) + $2.5k??? (labor) + 1k (tires) = 10.5k vs a long trip and risking that I may not even like the truck. I don't know - safer bet is what you recommend, but that's where I'm stuck. Even then..is it safer haha? The LC I get anywhere could turn out to have issues. I guess I just need to pull the trigger either way and enjoy the process.

LC frame.jpg LC Frame 2.jpg LC frame 3.jpg LC frame 4.jpg LC frame 5.jpg

VS. what I have been seeing in a 200 mile radius from my location….This particular LC was a 2000 w/ 143k for 10k. Saw a LX for $12.5 with less rust, but don't want to go down the hydraulic suspension route
. LC frame rust 1.jpg LC Frame rust 2.jpg LC frame rust 3.jpg LC frame rust 4.jpg

Personally, being from the south I wouldn't touch that rust bucket for $5K. I've flown to NY & KY to buy my cars before and drove them back both times. Made little vacations out the trips. Buy round trip tickets in case you don't buy the car! :)

Personally, being from the south I wouldn't touch that rust bucket for $5K. I've flown to NY & KY to buy my cars before and drove them back both times. Made little vacations out the trips. Buy round trip tickets in case you don't buy the car! :)

I agree. Anything with considerable rust is a no-go. If it were going to be a hardcore trail rig then I wouldn't mind rust as much, but this will be my DD for half the year and my camping/road trip car. I appreciate your input!

There are a few LCs here in Denver with decent mileage with the same underbody for 7-10k. Motor swaps are pricy leave less to be desired.

Here in cali you can buy a used engine for $900-1800 depending on miles and any decent shop should be able to swap it for approx. $1000-1500 range. If the LC is in good shape and worth the spend why not?

shop time for anyone worth a turd here in Denver is $100/hr. I'm guessing with all the work, turn key, you'd need at least 12 hours to do the swap. good 100k mile tundra motors are about $1k here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom