By popular demand: proportioning valve install without brake line flaring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the master cylinder is OEM for a '72 truck

IIRC, I got one of the last ones from Japan

Tilton makes a valve with metric fittings- 10mm if I remember correctly.

Tilton Engineering - Brake, , Screw Type

And there are very good reasons to adjust them when in use. For example my truck is rated for a 500kg payload. Well guess what happens when I slam on the brakes with no load- the rear locks up first. Well ideally the front should lock up first. Snow- same deal.

That is why the 70 series got a proportioning valve that was adjusted by the distance between the axle and the body. As the axle lifts away from the body the rears receive less pressure and vice verse. Ideally I should set my rear brakes up for no load with the valve since that is the way I ride 95% of the time and I should re-adjust them for when I'm fully loaded- which is about one beer away from now:p

Pete

Last edited:
A flaring tool is cheap and easy to use, but if not I know my local NAPA had all the metric fittings and will make up brake lines at any length for you for pretty cheap, I bought and flared my own without any problems, just follow the instructions and it works very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom