buying used tundra, best year with 5.7 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I seem to now be on the search for a used Tundra 5.7 with the extra or crew cab option. Single cab sucks !
The box length is not much of an issue as I will also have a roof rack and a topper.
And why didn't Toyota have a turbo diesel model ?????
I am looking at 2007 to 2014 year Tundra 5.7's

I have some questions likely best answered by Mud :
- Are heated seats available in all models ?
- Which models had leather seats ?
- the years from 2007 to 2014 how do they differ and does it really matter
with landcruisers the 40 model was built from 1950 to 1984 with very few differences that are significant.
Except the diesel circa 1983 -1984 power steering with 5 speed.

Looking forward to your replies !
thnx
Mac

I'll have to look up the leather and heat options.

2007 - 2013 is pre-facelift.

The only real change I can think of off hand, in this range, is the transmission cooler location on the tow package trucks. Around 2010 it was moved from a side mount/seperate airflow to in front of the radiator, where the engine fan can pull air through it during slow speeds.

Buy a tow package truck, it has 4.30 gears, oil and trans coolers, trans temp gauge, harness etc. most trucks have it.

Some other changes I've seen mentioned on the Tundra forum are that the rear seats on the Crewmax used to recline and move back and forth and for the '14 models they now fold up like the Double Cab seats instead. No storage in the Crewmax with those seats or around them or something like the earlier trucks had. There was mention of several little things that were once standard, but as the years went by they were taken away for some reason. I'm not sure of all of them, but reading different threads you come upon someone that mentions, "That used to be standard. How come it's not available now? Why the change?" One thing I know of was the drivers side grab handle on the windshield pillar. It's on the '13 and earlier, but not on the '14. It can be added on though as someone messed with it and found that the handle and plastic trim still fits. The welded in nuts are missing so some of those little inserts that clip on and have a threaded nut need to be used. I had it done on my '14 and it didn't take long at all. There were Air Injection Pump problems on some early trucks and from what I've seen not as many on the newer '14 and up. I'm not sure what was done with that stuff. I know on my '14 I received a notice that there was a software upgrade that they were going to do at my next service. Basically what it did was set things up so that if there was a problem with the AIP it wouldn't cause the system to go into limp mode as that was causing a lot of trouble with people being out off the main highways or on them in the middle of nowhere and then being stuck limping home or to a shop. Now from what I understand it throws the code and lights the lights, but you still have full power to make it to a shop or home. Just some little things I've seen when reading threads that were posted.

I dont know anything about heated seats, except they were available on most, if not all years. Usually on the Limited, Platinum and up models.

There is very little i dont like about the tundra that wouldn't be the same on any truck that size.

Changing the oil is a pain in the ass for no good reason.

07-08 has a few problems that were worked out. The air pump, the tailgate latch, the head unit and the frames all had issues that were sorted.

first body style have really bad chrome bumpers. I replaced three rears and a front on my 07 in three years. the last one the dealer gave me grief for, but a call to Toyota USA fixed the problem. Not a problem on the color matched bumpers on my RW, and I replaced them with aftermarket bumpers anyway.

The lack of grab handle, the change in the power plugs and the big ugly grill on a 14+ are enough to keep me in >14MY for a while.

Last edited:
Wondering what people do not like about owning the Tundra ?

I have two gripes about my '14 Tundra Crewmax.

1) Lousy fuel mileage.

2) Fuel tank is too small.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the truck.

Wondering what people do not like about owning the Tundra ?

The only thing I didn't/don't like about my '07:
Interior Build Quality (yes, it's a truck but still sorta low rent)
The end

Everything else is to be expected. Gas milage sucks sure, but it's a 380hp 5.7L V8. it's going to eat gas, I knew that going in.
The Tundra is a fantastic truck and it's American made if that's something that tickles your pickle.

I bought a 16 crew max limited TRD. Love this truck! They fixed the fuel tank in 16 which is now 38 gallons and is enough. Also added a trailer brake controller. I was a longtime believer in the first gen Tundra, and I had two of them, I replaced the last one at 300K. I did not like the 2007-13. I thought it was to big and ugly, I was going to buy a LC200 and after I could not find a nice low mileage one last year, I drove a Tundra and really liked it.

I'm looking on Kijiji daily and have a list with prices, milage and price. Though it seems the Platinum is the way to go the limited comes with a sunroof as does the TRD and the TRD also come with leather heated. The years I'm looking at are 2010 to 2014 with under 150,000km
I'm thinking leather cause my cloth cruiser seats get ripped and the heated aspect does seem mighty nice. Thanks MOTOV8R for the option mention !!!
*** The truck will be used for construction and hauling a car hauler (my Landcruiser) or travel trailer so the Platinum I believe comes stock with the tow package and the JBL stereo package. Has a backup sensors and camera.
- The TRD has the off road package so I don't know if it is equipped with the tow package but having heated leather and a sunroof is a plus. I prefer my 40 series for offroading.
I am wondering from you all if they had improved the gas millage on the 5.7 over the years ???
I will likely opt to make mods for better millage. I have heard duel exhaust !
I will most definitely post up pics of the new beast when I get her ! Would like to know what mods to make from owners like you !
Some have debagged ? what does that mean ???
Would like to know what model would be best for hauling and millage ?
Just as a heads up I have been driving Landcruisers since 1992 and nothing else compares to the reliability. My cruises are diesel and this is a big leap going to a gasser. Would have jumped if they had a diesel version. This is a big jump for me but I feel confident !
But if I'm going gasser I believe the Tundra is the best by far and second to none ! Can't beat it !
For years of trail riding I've seen even a stock landcruiser with flat leaf springs and car tires ( stock tires ) get through a rough trail and pull other vehicles out.

The gas mileage has not improved since the 5.7 was introduced. For towing any of the 5.7s with the tow package is what you want (which is nearly all of them that were made). The 5.7 is a beast and tows well but the mileage is terrible while towing (usually just under 10 mpg towing 6500# in the western mountain states). If you lift it or run bigger than stock tires it will be even worse. I know it's not a Toyota but if you will be towing often you might consider the RAM 1500 eco diesel. My step dad has the Eco diesel and it gets great mileage towing and has a nice interior.

MOTOV8R My first choice was the 1990 Dodge ram turbo diesel 5 speed diesel. But knowing nothing about the reliability put more weight on the Tundra.
The Tundra is total 'glam' with bells and whistles not to mention the reliability factor. One side of my brain says diesel Ram and the other says Tundra.

I have a '08 Crew cab Tundra Limited, I bought new. The truck has been a great rig for me. 221k miles and still feels new.

I've had very little problems. Did a starter at 150k, water pump at 160k and front wheel bearings at 200k.

Everything else has just been oil changes, general maintenance like brakes. Transmission is a sealed unit, no oil changes and going strong.

My truck has front heated seats, leather interior, tow package, sunroof and the better guages of the older trucks.

The gas tank is way to small and the truck is a gas guzzler, especially when I'm towing my 25' car hauler, I will average 8 mpg.

I think the reliability out ways the pour gas mileage. My truck has the leveling lift and 35" tires, that really hurt mileage as well.

I borrowed a '16 Ford F350 super duty loaded diesel with 35" tires and it didn't get any better mileage while towing on a 1000 mile each way trip I took back in October. I will say that the Ford was not near as comfortable, so that one is out for a replacement.

I really want a Diesel Tundra, not sure which truck I will get this year for my new work truck, I'm going to keep the '08 since its been solid.

When I installed my dual exhaust my highway and town mpg went up about 1-1.5 (when I wasn't pushing the skinny pedal a little harder to hear that beast open up). Heated seats were available on almost any models except the sr5 I believe. I've never been in someone's tundra that had leather and did not have heated seats. And as others suggested, definitely get one with a factory tow package for the 4.3. If you picked up a Tundra I promise you won't be disappointed, they are truly beasts and so realiable. My dad uses his for construction and tows an 18 box trailer 3-4 days a week, and he has had 210k flawless miles. The only thing I didn't like about my tundra was the fact that I'm younger and live in a tourist town, so the lifted loud truck had me constantly getting mean mugged by other drivers that were clueless about where they were headed-blocking traffic haha

Which Exhaust system did you install?

True dual flowmaster 40 series from the cats. I eventually cut off everything behind the mufflers cause the tips weighed too much for the exhaust hangers to take the offroad bumps, making it a little loud in the cab. Otherwise loved this set up and only cost me about $350 out the door for mufflers and install. Whenever I bumped up to the heavier wheels and larger tires though my mpg went right back to around 12-12.5 average

does anyone know about heated seats ? which models and which years ?

The 2012 Rock Warrior is fabric seats, no seat heaters.

Leather is standard in all Platinum, 1794's, and I believe Limited too.

Not sure on any seat heaters as OE though - check Toyota's website for current option packages/trim levels & I bet it'll translate backwards - that was what I did in my preliminary research into what Tundra was "enough" for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom