buying used tundra, best year with 5.7 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heated seats are an easy addition. They make kits with switches that look like stock. They are about $100 on eBay. While I was at it I added rear seat heaters.
That's what I installed in my Sequoia, but from aliexpress. I think the kit was around $60. I installed it to the wires running to a cigarette lighter and made some minor modifications to the switches so they would fit in the stock spaces. Cooling kits were also available from the same manufacturer, in which you cut holes in the seat foam to install small fans. But I didn't buy those.

I'll throw a few more things into the mix that I'm not happy about:

Headlights: They don't seem to be bright enough. They have that little roller wheel adjuster doohickey. I can't seem to find a good position that delivers satisfactory lighting at both bright and dim positions. Not a huge deal, just one of those things that you'd think they'd get right.

My navigation screen randomly reboots itself. And I mean RANDOM. I've had it be fine for weeks, then reboot twice on the road on a 125 mile trip. I'd be interested to know if other Tundra owners have this problem. This is also not a huge deal, just an annoyance.

Things I am happy about:

I love the way it effortlessly cruises at highway speeds. It'll roll along at 80 mph all day long without sweating. Very comfy ride. I like the rumbly exhaust tone. I like how it sits up a bit high, with good visibility. The electric back window is a neat feature. I also like the center console shifter - it's cooler than column shifters.

Would I recommend this truck to others? Yes, definitely.

A couple things...

The Clazzio covers go right over the cloth and are nearly indistinguishable from the leather.

You can add the seat heaters between when you do it.

I did both but didn't get around to installing the switches for the heaters.

Mine is an 08 six seater crewmax with a topper and 230,000 km. It will be up for sale in Calgary next month when my company truck is ready.

@Rigger - when I mentioned to my car stereo shop buddy I was shopping for a Tundra he said "don't bother with the nav screen in '13 Rock Warriors, if you can do a '12 w/o a screen & use your phone".

I'd decided I wanted the Rock Warrior as I like the fabric for a change (still need to buy a Marathon cover for the back seat though, my dog rides there) - so for me it was simply finding a good one in either a '12 or a '13/no screen.

So it must be a thing for enough people to say something - I'm fine with my '12 since I still have the backup cam & it just displays in the rearview mirror on a ~3.5" screen(guess).

He mentioned a $1K Alpine if I ever jump up & down over a screen (not my thing) - otherwise there's a $3K(!!!) Alpine "Tundra restyle" screen - no clue the differences, happy enough with the basic stereo & camera display in the mirror.

A quick add is I understand a backup camera in the tailgate is a 2012 & up thing.

So if a B/U cam is important to you (I like it since I have the lift & 35's) - you either add it to a 2011 & older or buy into a 2012+ as the Rock Warrior isn't super high up the food chain for standard options. A SR5 with Bilstein shocks & bigger sways is what I know of it.

I heard the moonroof & power rear 1 piece glass that drops down are an option package - mine has that & the tow package most importantly.

But the Moonroof & power drop glass are crew cab only options, and sadly the better rear storage trays with fold & tumble rear seats started either in '13 or '14. So you get the lame version of a backup screen (moved from mirror to main screen) & the newer stereo to get the better rear crew cab storage option & seats.

2012's like mine have rear sliding seats but no storage underneath - so if a ton of crap for loads is what you want to store under the seats, you'll be like me having to fab something. Not even the aftermarket has anything you want. Real bummer there Toyota.

I seem to now be on the search for a used Tundra 5.7 with the extra or crew cab option. Single cab sucks !
The box length is not much of an issue as I will also have a roof rack and a topper.
And why didn't Toyota have a turbo diesel model ?????
I am looking at 2007 to 2014 year Tundra 5.7's

I have some questions likely best answered by Mud :
- Are heated seats available in all models ?
- Which models had leather seats ?
- the years from 2007 to 2014 how do they differ and does it really matter
with landcruisers the 40 model was built from 1950 to 1984 with very few differences that are significant.
Except the diesel circa 1983 -1984 power steering with 5 speed.

Looking forward to your replies !
thnx
Mac

I had a 2013 Crewmax Rock Warrior. It was an awesome truck, just didn't work for me trying to park in tiny parking garages in Portland, many of which were simply not tall enough. Left me the option in paying a ton for parking, walking a long ways to my building, or downsize, which I did until I moved to KC. My friend's F-150 ecoboost gets a lot better gas mileage, but I wouldn't trade it for a Tundra. Too many small issues always popping up for him. I will say that the interior of the new f150 is very nice though. Wish I still had the Tundra, but like the fit and finish of my 200 LC better.

Mine had cloth, but adding some Katzkin leather or Clazzio covers is fairly inexpensive, as are heated seats. I actually really liked the quality of the stock cloth seats. The 13 Tundra had dual climate control in the rock warrior/sr5 on up, where 14 and beyond provides that only in the limited and up.

The bigger gas tank in the last few model years would be a welcome addition. I have no authority on this, but there are rumors that the Tundra may be refreshed or redesigned with an introduction at the Chicago Auto show this month. If that is the case, keep an eye for special incentives on current models. The MSRP on mine was 42,xxx and I got it for $35,000 before TTL ($5,000 Toyota rebate in 2013 in CA after the reveal of the refreshed 14 model). With that type of discount, buying used simply made no sense.

I only drove mine just under 40k miles, but it ran trouble free, and had great power, even with heavy demello sliders and exp-one bumper. And gas mileage was acceptable. The six speed transmission matched with the 5.7 V8 was amazing. Also, avoid the flex vehicle option if you have any desire to get a supercharger. IIRC, the flex fuel engine and the supercharger don't mix.

Edit-the 13 and up have Entune (not sure about the 12).

Good point - Flex Fuel & a blower is a no go. If you care.

I was told WA didn't get FF unless you specified you wanted it (no E85 pumps in my town, there's a cardlock gas station off the interstate ~10mi S of town with one, that's it)

I've heard it was a big push in California - not sure what states they also are big in.

I also am totally happy with cloth seats for a change in my Rock Warrior pkg. I need a seat cover for the back seat or my dog will roach it, but that's a choice on my part.

Not sure what Entune is, I suspect it's sat radio??
I saw my stereo display scroll a banner for the big name sat radio (forget the name) - but aside from that, I doubt there's more sat radio.

Or is Entune a engine management thing (still super new to this thing)?

Good point - Flex Fuel & a blower is a no go. If you care.

I was told WA didn't get FF unless you specified you wanted it (no E85 pumps in my town, there's a cardlock gas station off the interstate ~10mi S of town with one, that's it)

I've heard it was a big push in California - not sure what states they also are big in.

I also am totally happy with cloth seats for a change in my Rock Warrior pkg. I need a seat cover for the back seat or my dog will roach it, but that's a choice on my part.

Not sure what Entune is, I suspect it's sat radio??
I saw my stereo display scroll a banner for the big name sat radio (forget the name) - but aside from that, I doubt there's more sat radio.

Or is Entune a engine management thing (still super new to this thing)?

Entune is Toyotas app based stereo with pandora, iheartradio, etc., built in. Not bad for a factory setup, but also inexpensive to add an aftermarket nav that is much better. I liked the Entune setup in mine though. And it read back text messages too, which was handy.

A quick add is I understand a backup camera in the tailgate is a 2012 & up thing.

So if a B/U cam is important to you (I like it since I have the lift & 35's) - you either add it to a 2011 & older or buy into a 2012+ as the Rock Warrior isn't super high up the food chain for standard options. A SR5 with Bilstein shocks & bigger sways is what I know of it.

I heard the moonroof & power rear 1 piece glass that drops down are an option package - mine has that & the tow package most importantly.

But the Moonroof & power drop glass are crew cab only options, and sadly the better rear storage trays with fold & tumble rear seats started either in '13 or '14. So you get the lame version of a backup screen (moved from mirror to main screen) & the newer stereo to get the better rear crew cab storage option & seats.

2012's like mine have rear sliding seats but no storage underneath - so if a ton of crap for loads is what you want to store under the seats, you'll be like me having to fab something. Not even the aftermarket has anything you want. Real bummer there Toyota.

FYI I have a 2011 crew max sr5 with backup camera (in mirror) possibly part of the tow package?' Either way I can't live without it anymore.

Love my Tundra, other than it's too nice for me

I seem to now be on the search for a used Tundra 5.7 with the extra or crew cab option. Single cab sucks !
The box length is not much of an issue as I will also have a roof rack and a topper.
And why didn't Toyota have a turbo diesel model ?????
I am looking at 2007 to 2014 year Tundra 5.7's

I have some questions likely best answered by Mud :
- Are heated seats available in all models ?
- Which models had leather seats ?
- the years from 2007 to 2014 how do they differ and does it really matter
with landcruisers the 40 model was built from 1950 to 1984 with very few differences that are significant.
Except the diesel circa 1983 -1984 power steering with 5 speed.

Looking forward to your replies !
thnx
Mac

If you still looking for Tundra I have 2010 Limited Extended cab with bed cap. Leather, heated seats. Never in the accident clean CARFAX.

Let me know if interested

I asked @ Toyota dealer today about hard line year rule for BU camera - @cwwfj60 was right, the parts dept guy said tow package or a deluxe trim level got cameras, but to really check as the tailgate latch is the same, so some will have a black plug & no lense or system. He wasn't dead sure but thought it was a 2010 intro. HTH

Also, as I been searching superchargers, the Magnusson continuation one claimed to be Flex Fuel compatible, but that said I am still leery of that concept - seems like you would have to retard the timing to avoid detonation.

But I only know FF in theory - we don't have it here & maybe it means you could add that S/C to a FF Tundra, but now you have to run premium exclusively. IDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom