bolt on portals! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kirk said:
Neat idea, but the negatives to me say thumbs down.

I agree, the Volvo portal use full back spaced wheels so the weight is better distributed and the steering leverage isn't an issue. I know I'm bias but the design of the Volvo portals is well thought out, yes it won't hold up to a 400hp small block but for average trail use they should hold up very good.

I Think that you could solve several of the problems mentioned in this thread by simply changing wheel selections. Using a standard FJ40 wheel or even an FJ80 wheel would result in the tires out past the fenders and a horrible scrub radius, but if you could use a wheel with 7-8 inches of backspacing similiar to a H1 wheel it would bring the tires back under the truck and save the bearings. The only problem I see would be that you would have to use very large wheels 17"-20"

???????? Maybe.

Ryan.

I say the two axles are the same length.

Yea, good call on the tre's, Ary.

Are the prototypes an 8" or 9.5" center section? Are there any 9.5" coil front housings?

Hard to tell from the pics but they look like 9.5", might explain the difference between the spring pad and diff....

landtank said:
those pics are from a Nissan Patrol from what I read.

I agree Rick. Our lower knuckle arms don't look like that one with the triangular shape hole in it and that doesn't look like the back of a 'Cruiser knuckle where the felt wipers go.

-B-

Yep - Nissan Patrol GQ or GU front end - with a Real diff...

george.

slick621 said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are portal axles, and what advantage do they have over a stock axle?
Portals do a few things, They lower you final gear ratio by adding a gear outside the knuckles, add some lift.
http://www.west-4x4.demon.co.uk/portal.htm
But some have mentioed some issues, Like durrability, back spacing, and such.
I know there is ALOT more info.
Have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom