Body and paint coming along (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s taken me nearly a year to pull the trigger, but the 100 is at the shop. Can’t wait to get it back!

20230907_155334.jpeg

20230907_155339.jpeg

20230907_155351.jpeg

Primer Grey!

:lol:

It’s a bit darker than I wanted, but the wife got involved and this is what she wanted 🤨. I’m sure it’ll look great😅. She didn’t like that “middle eastern” look, which is what I was going for.

20231102_160311.jpeg

20231102_160322.jpeg

20231102_160334.jpeg

Initially, I found in a little difficult to swallow the price of a complete color change. However, the shop owner is a good friend of mine and I didn’t want to haggle him, and I thought it would bless him…..seeing how the work is coming along, I believe I am getting a really good price!

There was significant body work done (fender and some door panels, a nightmare to track down) which cost roughly $4k. $300 for a new windshield, which it needed. The color change is $3500, for a grand total of $7800.

When I brought it to him, I insisted he charge me the same he would charge anyone else, which I believe he did…it did take some adamant insistence. Having said this, I believe this is a bargain for the amount of work done.

From his shop, I’m set to send it to Over Land Cruisers in Sonoita to take care of suspension and anything else underside may need. I don’t personally know anyone there, but did have a pleasant conversation with Honor (I hope that is spelled correctly). They will see the vehicle before I do. Possibly they would be willing to inspect it for the sake of an unbiased opinion on the quality and value of the work for anyone interested in sending their cruiser to my buddy in Tucson.

Also, the color change is Toyota 4V6.

Initially, I found in a little difficult to swallow the price of a complete color change. However, the shop owner is a good friend of mine and I didn’t want to haggle him, and I thought it would bless him…..seeing how the work is coming along, I believe I am getting a really good price!

There was significant body work done (fender and some door panels, a nightmare to track down) which cost roughly $4k. $300 for a new windshield, which it needed. The color change is $3500, for a grand total of $7800.

When I brought it to him, I insisted he charge me the same he would charge anyone else, which I believe he did…it did take some adamant insistence. Having said this, I believe this is a bargain for the amount of work done.

From his shop, I’m set to send it to Over Land Cruisers in Sonoita to take care of suspension and anything else underside may need. I don’t personally know anyone there, but did have a pleasant conversation with Honor (I hope that is spelled correctly). They will see the vehicle before I do. Possibly they would be willing to inspect it for the sake of an unbiased opinion on the quality and value of the work for anyone interested in sending their cruiser to my buddy in Tucson.

Also, the color change is Toyota 4V6.

The body work looks great. Looking forward to seeing your truck later this fall.

Oh, and my name is Onur which means "honor" in Turkish. ;)

:cheers:

I’m at a crossroad with the paint work and could use a little input, if anyone is willing. I personally like the window frames on the door’s body color. To me, it gives a simple base look which I find very appealing. However, I don’t think the wife is going to go for it. So, I was thinking of matching the window frames to the bumpers. I prefer the graphite semi-matte gray, however I like the idea of a gray metallic. My inclination is to match the bumper on the green 100. What are your thoughts?

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpeg

20231109_104706.jpeg

At some I’ll need fender liners, but that’ll have to wait until the suspension restoration. Then, once we’re back on the road I’ll chip away at the interior refresh. I am excited!!!❤️

20231110_104650.jpeg

20231110_100956.jpeg

20231110_101000.jpeg

1) IMHO your buddy is not charging you retail.
2) why are you investing so much in a hundy?
3) do what your wife wants.

1) IMHO your buddy is not charging you retail.
2) why are you investing so much in a hundy?
3) do what your wife wants.
1) While I would concede that my buddy is certainly going above and beyond in the extent of the tear down (I expected only door jambs sprayed and lights and door handles left on, ETC) I did have similar priced estimates from other shops....again with less extent to tear down. While he is a friend, he also wants to break into a specialized niche, and LCs would just be fun to focus on. If some of those other "estimates" would have gone this far, I'm sure they would have gone up, as estimates do. He gives quotes, his quotes don't migrate upwards. He broke down pricing for me (in hindsight, job nearing completion) it’s simple; $4k in body (more work than he thought) and $3800 in paint. To me there is a lot of value in working with someone like this. Also, he recognizes word travels, so he is consistent in how he treats everyone business wise, I believe he would do the same for anyone bringing him a LC off of this reference.

2) That's a good question, to which I take for granted as being obvious, to which it not not so obvious. Many reasons, Its a solid rust free, mechanically sound hundy. Prices are only going upwards, on all LCs. For the $15k I'll have invested when I'm done, I'd have to spend upwards of $30k to have one this nice (with albeit higher original miles) and mechanically reset to factory zero on all things mechanical with exception of the motor, trans, x-case and diff internals. So, for my money, its a bargain. I'm partially eccentric/foolish (I say this facetiously) yet always seem to have excellent outcomes that leave me looking wise and prudent (certainly not by my own doing, lol).

3) While I am a firm supporter and halfhearted contributor/participant of the patriarchy, (to any future prospective employer reading this, have a sense of humor🤣😅) I do listen to her more than might be imagined. I wanted a lighter, middle eastern beige, she wanted quicksand...I have no regrets

It’s coming along nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom