Blown Head Gasket 2.5 Years Ago... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE:

I FINALLY got around to doing some serious wrenching anf got this pig going. I ended up using a razor blade, 3m red scotch pad, and brake cleaner to clean the deck and pistons. I did all the scraping and cleaning with the shop vac constantly running to suck up any debris. The deck came out great and was clean and true, dont worry about removing the old gasket staining from the deck. If you use a razor at a 90 degree angle you can feel that its totally clean. I had absolutly no pitting anywhere on the deck surface or any suspicious marring on the cylinder walls.

The oil cooler was very clean inside and I didnt find really any sludge, rust, or corrosion evidence from having the truck sit for 2.5 years with a blown head gasket. I changed all the fluids in the truck, put on all new vacuum hoses, 02 sensors, fuel filter, cleaned the injectors (9 volt battery and brake cleaner), wrapped the wires by the egr, plugs, cap, rotor, had the intake plenum cleaned at the machine shop, head surfaced and inspected with new valve seals installed, wired brushed every nut and bolt and put anti seize on their threads, put in new 20k fluid in my Eaton fan clutch, water pump, alternator, battery, fuseable links, battery, heater valve, coolant hoses, and probably a few other things I am forgetting.

To make a long story short the truck went back together well, except for the fact that I forgot to put FIPG under the head gasket in the 2 spots. That was a day lost and another couple of days waiting on another head gasket and new head bolts. I went back and made it right though. I was very methodical on putting everything back together clean and with the factory torque specs. The truck started up instantly and was quiet and smooth as could be. I set the timing a 3 degrees and it runs great. Im in the process of running distilled water and THERMOCURE in the radiator to clean out any rust that could be in there. Thermocure has awesome reviews. I will also be doing the Liquimoly oil flush with this initial oil change.

Thanks to Beno for all the parts and advice along with countless other members and resources here.

20170429_143921.jpg

20170429_143932.jpg

Good to hear that it went smoothly! You should be good to go for another 10 years or so... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom