Bj73 wont start/crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys long time lurker, first time poster!

Searched the forums but no avail, hoping this is in the right section!

I recently installed a new alternator in my 3b Land Cruiser after it sat for a couple of months, jump started her and moved to the driveway, turned it off and thought to myself job well done. The next morning the beast wouldn't start (whats new!) so I charged the batteries, cleaned the earths, checked the fuses all the standard stuff but it still wouldn't start, I tried to jump again but still nothing, just the dreaded "click".
I pulled the stater motor and found it needed the contacts filed and the armeture cleaned after which I bench tested with great results. I put the stater back in and went to fire her up but the problem persists. A little scoping around with the test light and multimeter found that I wasn't getting power to the exciter? on the stater solenoid, so I bridged it to the battery and she fired up strait away. I Continued my search using the FSM and found power coming from the edic relay but not making it to the exciter. The stater system is not overly complicated so I was hoping that I (even though electrically challenged) would be able to find the problem but a few days have passed and I'm out of ideas. I'm wondering whether anyone has experienced this or whether anyone knows if the stater relay could have something to do with it, or better yet how to test the stater relay. As I said the electrical system is definitely my weak point but from looking at the FSM the stater relay is the only thing left in the starting circuit. Looking forward to your insight, thanks in advanced, Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom