bj73 possible engine swaps? (1hz) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Picking up a new BJ in a week or so, it has 700,000kms on the 3b N/A engine. was thinking it will need a new one eventually, how hard is it to chuck a 1hz in? I have very little mechanical knowledge and would be paying someone to do it.

Thanks

Easier and cheaper to use a 15B FT from a Toyota Dyna . It will sit in the same position, bolt to your gearbox ,every thing will be in the same place. I think the clutch is slightly bigger so you have to grind something off inside the bell housing
The 15B is 4.1 litre and there is also a 3.7 litre 14B
The 1 in front of the numbers means it is direct injection. These engines with a turbo can give you similar power to the turbo 6 cyl.
I would recommend you try and do some of the work your self and pay someone to do things you cant do.
Lots of info on this forum for 1st timers.

been searching for those engines for a while now and no luck, will look harder if there easiest. Thanks heaps, yeh I’m not the most mechanical person but can try so some things, likley most be mechanic so lots $$ I know I’m prepared

Have you tried truck wreckers and engine importers? Engine importers could ask their man in Japan to have a look for you.
THE 1HZ has a different length input shaft on the gearbox, which means you would have to pull the gearbox apart and the transfer case as well, which mean new bearings,seals and gaskets. That in itself will run into $3000. You will also have to remove the old engine mounts welded to the frame and have new ones welded on. Then you will need the 1HZ radiator
By sticking with an engine from the B family you can use a lot of existing components already in the engine bay ad probably the glow system , tacho sensor ect
Try looking for a 15B, it will still give you a bit more power than the 3B and you can turbo it later as funds become available.

Last edited:
Keep harassing them so they dont forget.

Keep harassing them so they dont forget.
Thanks mate :) I shall do! Have sent about 10 different company’s emails so will follow them up with a call.

Does the 15b just drop into and replace the 3b ?

Yes ,there are some slight easy to do mods. There have been a few engine swaps like that on this forum. One owner from an island off Portugal did one, Azores?. I forget his name.
Some Hinos are using these as well and the current model Coaster is also using a Hino 15B fte, its basically the smallest engine in their line up but it may have a heap of computers ect. They call it the NO4C

Its the same engine block with reinforcing and some have 4 valves per head. I think some of them have about 160HP vs the 90hp in the 3B Wiki has some info on B engines
The modern B engines have the vacuum pump and power steering pump built into the engine like the 1HZ

Last edited:
Checked it out. Quick one , is the 3b out off trucks and motor homes ( coaster and dyna) the same as the no models ? Is it transferable

If they are the same 3B, there is also the 3B II. Air intakes sometime point in different directions and possibly the thermostat housing coolant outlet. But the basic engine is identical. The other thing is the Coasters will probably be 24 volt but its not much work to make them 12v using the gear off your old engine.
The Daihatsu Delta's also have a 3B.

If they are the same 3B, there is also the 3B II. Air intakes sometime point in different directions and possibly the thermostat housing coolant outlet. But the basic engine is identical. The other thing is the Coasters will probably be 24 volt but its not much work to make them 12v using the gear off your old engine.
The Daihatsu Delta's also have a 3B.

Awesome ! Thanks for the info! Sorry such a noob, gathering all info I can to make right choice once 3B dies! Cheers

The 1 in front of the numbers means it is direct injection.
I did not know that! Half of learning about all these engines is how Toyota codes them, it’s integral
to knowing the interchangeable parts. Thx Rosco 🧐

I did not know that! Half of learning about all these engines is how Toyota codes them, it’s integral
to knowing the interchangeable parts. Thx Rosco 🧐

But only for some engines, on the 1HZ and 1KZ T and some of the forklift skid steer and airport tractor diesels 1DZ 2DZ , the Z seems to indicate indirect injection. But Toyota changes the rules when ever they see fit.

But only for some engines, on the 1HZ and 1KZ T and some of the forklift skid steer and airport tractor diesels 1DZ 2DZ , the Z seems to indicate indirect injection. But Toyota changes the rules when ever they see fit.
Seems that if it is number followed by number then the 1 as DI holds true? Just can’t keep up or know
anything about fork lifts and tractors

No, those are indirect injection (IDI). Its only the older B and H diesels that use the 1 in front to denote direct injection.
In this case I think the 1 means it is the first of that type. Later the 2KD replaced the 1KZ and the 2DZ replaced the 1DZ
The 2KD was direct injection , so I guess in this case thats what the D means. Just speculation

Same for the petrol engines

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom