BJ42 Starter Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings Ladies and Gents,

I own a 1982 Toyota BJ42 Land Cruiser that has a 24 Volt, Canadian Spec. electrical system. So, it is all 24 Volt including engine electrical, trailer electrical, marker and tail lights, and also the instrument cluster. The head lights however, are 12 Volt as it is Canadian Spec. I have installed a 12 Volt converter box in my glove compartment for things like my radio, a cabin lamp and a 12 volt power plug, but that's all the runs off of it. I have replaced my starter (24v) in the past, so it's completely functional but i have, unfortunately also gone through quite a few starter relays (24v). I am going to be looking into a generic 24 volt relay that may work as a replacement in the future, but in the past and currently I have only used OEM Toyota starter relays. I'm not sure where my problem lies but my voltage seems to be fine, so any power surges that are damaging these relays must be sending too many AMPs down the wire. I want to put in an inline fuse in front of the relay to protect it and the starter.

So, here is my question - 24 Volt, 5 kW Starter Motor, how many AMPs does it need?

Thanks for any help,
Tristan

1985 BJ74 JDM Land Cruiser (Grey)
1984 FJ64 American Spec. Land Cruiser (Blue)
1982 BJ42 Canadian Spec. Land Cruiser (Green) (Complete Restore. Just finished a Tranny Rebuild)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom