BJ40 Overhaul and Turbo Diesel Intercooler Convertion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, my name is Robert. My grandfather gave me his BJ40 (1978) long time ago.
I been riding this monster since I was 13 years old. It has been on my family since I was born. (I'm 20)

The thing is that, I started to get money to make an overhaul to the engine. (Last overhaul was 18 years ago).
And today after disassemble the top of the engine, I found that the Cylinder Head is too damaged.
I live in Costa Rica, and I found a Cylinder Head for 600$, almost new.
I'm planning to replace just all the valves and springs.
Also I'm getting an Overhaul kit (4 x pistons & pins, conrod bearings, main bearings, full gasket & seal set,Liners, rings, pin bushes and cam bearings.)

Now, I'm not pretty sure what to get to make the engine Turbo Diesel Intercooler, because there is no genuine turbos for this model.

I need some help, finding the right turbo and parts for this model. (I don't know anything about turbos).
I have seen several BJ40s with turbo, I'm planning to place the intercooler on the hood.
Also I need to know how to set up the turbo for the Engine, I mean how to tell the turbo when to activate, how much pressure and that stuff (Is better if I take it to a Mechanic to teh corresponding adjustment?)

Another thing... Should I prepare the engine for the turbo? Better Valves or something?

Thanks,

Robert.

Hi Robert! Welcome to Mud!

I would suggest reading up on turbo options in the diesel forum here on Mud. There are several members that have installed turbos on the B engine. However, there is some concern as the B engine does not have piston skirt cooling. The 3B does, and it takes to the turbo much better. If you haven't bought all the overhaul bits and pieces yet, you might consider looking for a 3B, overhauling it along with the turbo, and then installing it. It will bolt right in place of your B engine. Regardless, read up in the diesel section, ask lots of questions, and then proceed.

:cheers:

Thank you very much. I forgot to add the reason why I'm getting the turbo... Is to the lack of power on the hills.
Now... I have read lots of topics about turbos on the B engine. I already paid for the overhaul kit, so there is no way back.
I spoke with a guy who has a 3B in perfect state in 2200$... He told me that he can receive my B engine for 1200$, so maybe I can make a deal for the engine...

Here is a photo of the BJ40 right now. (Im doing some work to the chassis)

One question... What is the pressure of each piston in the B engine? to test it on the compression test?

Looks like a good start!

According to the 3B engine manual, stock is 427 psi. Minimum is 284 psi, with a maximum of 28 psi difference between cylinders. I believe the B is the same as the 3B in this regard. If you go to the diesel section, you can download the FSMs. The second sticky down is a link to the factory service manuals that you can download.

Again, there are several on here that have turboed a B engine with no ill effects. Heat is the killer, which is why the piston skirt cooling on the 3B is so much more desirable but is not absolutely necessary. I turboed my 3B, and it made a big difference. However, a pyrometer to measure EGTs is pretty much mandatory, and even more so with a B engine.

Good luck with the build and make sure you post lots of pictures along the way!

Do your research and have a good look through the Diesel forum. There are many options for bolt in BJ engine upgrades including several B series engines that are factory turbos but there are a lot of factors that will effect your decision. Your best option depends on your circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom