LSJ 73 Resto Mod - The Flying Burrito (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wardharris

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
longrangeamerica.com
EDIT: 10-3-15 new thread title. Sorry for any confusion.
This thread has evolved quite a bit over the last year or so. Vision and mission for the subject rig have changed....how it will be used, configured, budget, etc. As you will see below, it has evolved from a low-budget NA diesel 4 banger for dump runs to a crate Chebby engined road truck for use as a long-distance touring/trailing rig and daily driver.
Enjoy the ride. :)

Bought a LHD (Spanish import) from Chris at JDM Landcruisers. One owner, 100k miles, straight body and a good base for a restoration. Currently pending transport via professional Mudship (Aaron) from Nashville to Mukilteo.

The 3B appears to be the victim of poor maintenance, so the working plan is to assess the motor, and if it is not up to the task, fix it or swap it out for something more current.

More to follow as my '88 Vortec wagon goes to market to free up budget.

Thanks to everyone who helped me swallow hard and jump on this one. Lots of excellent support from the 7X community - much appreciated. :cheers:

Burro 1.jpg

Burro 2.jpg

Last edited:
What are the symptoms that lead you to believe the engine might have issues?

Tailpipe smoke at start up (more than a little), and from oil cap when removed, together with anemic power production on grades. All items fully disclosed prior to purchase from a knowledgeable importer.

I bought it with eyes wide open, for a fair price. No complaints - in fact it was the perfect truck for me, given that it needs some work and has not been banged, butchered or bastardized as yet.

Now you tell me....:doh:

You will notice in the owners manual where it says "zero to 60" ....... It simply says its possible under certain conditions. :D

I will take your word for it.

When it gets here, if there is an owners manual it will be in Spanish.....I am challenged in my birth language, even more so in others......

Last time I asked for directions (in Spanish) was to the WC, the guy thought I was asking how often his family bathed.

Guess I got "where" and "how many" screwed up.

Nice, I will follow your thread. Looks like the removable rear window doors on the back nice.

It has arrived

The Burrito came off a truck at Torfab. Aaron Frost at Summit Transportation arranged shipping from Nashville, TN to Mukilteo, WA in about a week. Awesome, many thanks Aaron.

The truck was exactly as represented by the importer, Chris Spaulding of JDM Landcruisers. I could not be happier with the transaction.

The truck was a little dirty after a cross-country ride through two or three major snow/rain storms. Torfab crew did a fine job with the steam cleaner.

It is now in the Cruiser Cave, having the interior deloused and prepared for spa treatment.

I bought it knowing the 3B was pretty sick and that has proven to be true. Will be getting a 13B-T thanks to Wayne Smith (Crushers), so will have a 3B/H55 available for adoption. A great project for someone who wants to re-fit a gasser and doesn't mind doing a rebuild.

dirty donkey.jpg

The Burrito came off a truck at Torfab. Aaron Frost at Summit Transportation arranged shipping from Nashville, TN to Mukilteo, WA in about a week. Awesome, many thanks Aaron.

The truck was exactly as represented by the importer, Chris Spaulding of JDM Landcruisers. I could not be happier with the transaction.

The truck was a little dirty after a cross-country ride through two or three major snow/rain storms. Torfab crew did a fine job with the steam cleaner.

It is now in the Cruiser Cave, having the interior deloused and prepared for spa treatment.

I bought it knowing the 3B was pretty sick and that has proven to be true. Will be getting a 13B-T thanks to Wayne Smith (Crushers), so will have a 3B/H55 available for adoption. A great project for someone who wants to re-fit a gasser and doesn't mind doing a rebuild.

Awesome.

:clap:

My pleasure Ward. Good lookin truck!

The current 3B has less poop than my Granny's trestle Singer sewing machine (leg powered). Goes real good downhill....but it sure damn looks good!

Dude more pics !

X2
Even small children have camera phones these days.

Jeesh, you guys are brutal. OK, some bits 'n pieces:

EXTERIOR
Basically, a sweet little truck, sans decals, trim, etc, One owner but hard service in a dry agricultural area of Spain. There is a bunch of wheat stuck in the radiator. Only two rust areas are those to be expected. Driver's side in front of rear wheel well, repaired prior to new paint as shown below.

Classic folding windshield frame rot on both sides. Reminiscent of my first car, a 1948 Willys CJ2a. I can poke my pinky finger up into the frame on left and right sides. Will pull it, patch it or replace it with OEM metal replacement or an interesting fiberglass alternative from Portugal for about the same price.

Euro-bumpers are much less robust than JDM, ANZUS, etc. Hardly any metal there and not much distance between bumper face and grille/fenders/hood. The foggies nestled in next to grille don't work and flop around. ARB bumper on order, arriving in 30 days.

Finally, the rear doors were replaced with convertible units for top-off operations. Not sure wassup, but there is a large gap at top on each side (though the lower portions fit well). Will attempt an adjustment before bringing out the sledge hammer.

That's it for now....

rust repair.jpg

rudy rust.jpg

bumper.jpg

Rudy rear doors.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom