Biography of a Bull (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would have put the gussets on the frame end. At least you can add them down the road.

Looking good so far!

10.5s should be fine on the stock 15x6s. You might need to adjust your pressure. I ran those on my 60 for years with no tire wear problems. One set of BFGs had almost 40k when I finally decided to buy new ones. I actually prefered the 15x6s with 33x10.50s than when I had the 33x10.50s on 8" wide wheels. The handled better on the road. But the 33 has more height to buldge the sides out than a 31.

I miss my old Silver 60. Mine my wife nicknamed Moose. She said it wallowed in the mud like a Moose in a swamp.

I would have put the gussets on the frame end. At least you can add them down the road.

Looking good so far!

We wanted to put gussets on the frame, but didn't think the 1/4" plate was thick enough. So, we're looking for enough 3/4" plate to make the frame gussets. That should hold any torque put on the sliders. Thanks for the compliments!

10.5s should be fine on the stock 15x6s. You might need to adjust your pressure. I ran those on my 60 for years with no tire wear problems. One set of BFGs had almost 40k when I finally decided to buy new ones. I actually prefered the 15x6s with 33x10.50s than when I had the 33x10.50s on 8" wide wheels. The handled better on the road. But the 33 has more height to buldge the sides out than a 31.

I miss my old Silver 60. Mine my wife nicknamed Moose. She said it wallowed in the mud like a Moose in a swamp.

Actually, the wallowy ride is another reason for the change over, sidewalls flex too much on the road. Plus, I've done the chalk test and I'm getting full contact of the tread. Besides, I've got the wheels on hand, so just a matter of swapping tires on wheels.

Thanks for the help, though.

Sliders

Sweet keep it up.

Labor day weekend was a busy time for me and the Bull. I got the tires moved over to the wheels I got from VTCruiser. The steering response is greatly improved, with the move to the 8" wheels. I turn the wheel and the truck goes where I think it should. As for the color of the wheels, I kinda like the retro look. What do you think?

IMG_2542.JPG

The thing I was excited to get done this weekend was getting the bumper I got from Tatertot and my traded for winch on. I hope that I never need it, but it's great insurance. When I first put the bumper on, the wings weren't even, so I put one against a tree, put it in LOW, and pushed, now everythings even. Unfortunately, I realize that the front springs are OME mediums. Bull's now riding the stinkbug after the winch. Gotta add the OME Add-a-Leaf to the upgrade list.

IMG_2537.JPG

I'll get a pic from above to show the winch install later.

Last edited:
One more thing that I forgot that I've put in is the CB. I put this in before going to Tellico in August. I was in a hurry and running outta time, so I needed something quick. I used cable ties to secure the bracket to the hogrings on the bottom of the driver's seat. It's in just the right spot that I can still move the seat. The only problem is that I need to set the channel before I get moving, but that's not normally a problem in the woods.

A quick pic of the installation.

IMG_2541.JPG

How are you cleaning and painting the frame? I have an 88 FJ62 in great shape. I'd like to hit the surface rust on the frame NOW but don't know the best way to get inside the frame tube.

Thanks

I haven't gotten to cleaning and painting the frame, other than a good water hose washing, super clean, and what not. I think that when I get to that stage, I am going to get the frame to the chassis paint, reapply a new coat, and then put some kind of wax treatment on it (it has it on there now and looks great).

Smkymtn is the man when it comes to frame cleaning. Check out his thread Help me I think I have gone too far

Great

I like the retro look and the new bumper/winch too. Think you will move the CB eventually however. Great looking good u coming to the boil in OCt. :bounce:

I want to go the Boil, but we've got baby #2 due Oct. 4, so no go for me. Y'all have fun!

U going to be at the UC annual Carp? If so I will see you then. Bull is looking good.

We've got company coming in that weekend, so I'm gonna miss the Annual too. Starting to feel like the kid that never calls home... Soon, I hope.

Been a long time since I've updated, and for good reason, I haven't had any time spend on Bull.

I have gotten to wheel once, back in January at Gulches ORV park and had a great time. The truck did everything I asked of it, including a rock-garden section where I probably shouldn't have been with the current lift and open diffs. But Bull was able to overcome.

A picture of the action.

IMG_1802.jpg

A couple of issues have surfaced lately and I figure I'd update the thread to see if there's any ideas to help me out.

The first one is that I did some damage to the truck wheelin' in the backyard. I was driving down a tractor road in the woods with my Yakima bars on, cleared a tree with the truck, but didn't think about the load bars. Sure enough, one caught the tree (more like a sapling), and tweaked the rack, which in turn tweaked the gutters. Now, when it rains, it pours in the floorboards of the truck. Looks like I'll have to clean the gutter sealant, and reseal. I've read the threads, just wondering if anyone has a good way to get the old sealant out. I've got a garage to park the truck in now, and it's not my DD, so it's not been a huge priority, but it's moving up the list.

Another problem I've been having with the truck is it has been idling rough, almost skipping, was weak on power, and getting HORRIBLE (<10 mpg) mileage. Also, the truck was running really rich, and required more than 10 pumps to start when cold.. I was told the truck had a new carb on it, so I was assuming that it was the smog stuff causing a problem. Again, the truck still ran OK, so it wasn't a high priority. I had been researching desmog threads to prepare myself for the chore in the next few months.

Now we've got a short trip (3 hr round trip) that we need to use the Cruiser for, so I spent last night in the garage with the Emissions manual and the Crusier. Turns out I was missing a vacuum hose from the metal spaghetti to the vacuum switch on the fender, the VSV (I think) on the pass side of the motor was in backwards, and the lines running to vacuum advance of the distributor were crossed. I fixed all that, the truck purrs like a kitten, and pulls like it never has while I've owned it.

The only problem now is that it has a bit of a flat spot between 2-3k RPM if you're not flooring it. Wide open, it pulls strong through that RPM range. Partial throttle, it climbs to that range, then gets slower in building RPMS. Over that, it's back to normal. Any ideas what that might be?

After playing with that stuff last night, it's obvious a desmog is still in my future, as the vacuum lines are getting old, the EGR tubes are brittle, and I'm not sure all the different valves are working as they should. But it's running better, which is a start.

I almost forgot, before I was to go wheelin', the PS Box puked it's fluid all over the garage floor and parking lot at work. Didn't find this out until the Wednesday before the ride, and was sure that I was going to have to skip the ride I put together. Well, Trollhole had a spare 62 box lying around and he's letting me "borrow" it until I can get mine sent to West Texas for a rebuild. Picked it up and put it on Friday before the ride on Sat. Can't say enough thanks for that one!

I'm thinking I'll get it ported for Hydraulic assist, in case I decide to go to 35's in the future. I'm also thinking that when I get it back, I'll replace the TRE's as well. Any other suggestions?

If you're going to get 35"s, are you going SOA or a bigger lift? At that point, a highsteer setup to run larger 80 arms would be better than running old 60 TRE's.

Have you put any work into your drawer setup yet?

First off, great rig! Good starting point and good work after...bummer to hear about the roof rack incident.

I'm with Ducks....5" Alcans and 35's doing great. My Alcans are rather old and I'm getting 4.5"-4.75" of lift from them so I installed 2.5" extended CCOT HFS shackles and all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom