Biography of a Bull (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks Great Carp! The offer is still out there to pick up those shackels if you would like.

man! youve done a lot of great stuff along the way thru the last year. Its nice to read a build that has a "normal" budget. Nice work.

Hopefully OTMT happens this year somewhere and I can see that thing in action again.

-Josh

Looks Great Carp! The offer is still out there to pick up those shackels if you would like.

He should have them by now. David picked them up from me weeks ago! Oh looking good Carp

Bull has undergone some changes the last few months with some more planned, so thought I would update. Don't have pics/videos now because I'm at work, but will post up later today.

- Removed the cat and installed a Thrush welded muffler, changed the routing of the tailpipe. Sounds wicked - minus the backfire on decel (think it's from my fuel decel in the desmog)

- Got the basic desmog done - runs a lot better. No more flat spot, more umph, idles smoothly. Still need to replace the smog pump with a pulley, and maybe new vacuum tubing.

- Have picked up a Trollhole Cruiser 2F carb. Will put that on next week. Hope to get some hard numbers from my stock carb desmogged vs the 2F carb(0-60 time, 40-60 pass in 4th, etc). The new carb is pretty and really simple looking. 1 vacuum hose connection for the dist.

- Building a drawer system in the back. Decided to go with the underbed tupperware boxes for the drawers so that I could just swap out the drawers based on needs (tailgating vs camping). Used 1/2" MDF for the frame. Looks good, need to secure it to the floor and decide if it needs a floor. Will build accompanying front platform this winter.

Look for pics in the near future as well as a new post with the writeup for the new carb.

Bull has undergone some changes the last few months with some more planned, so thought I would update. Don't have pics/videos now because I'm at work, but will post up later today.

- Removed the cat and installed a Thrush welded muffler, changed the routing of the tailpipe. Sounds wicked - minus the backfire on decel (think it's from my fuel decel in the desmog)

- Got the basic desmog done - runs a lot better. No more flat spot, more umph, idles smoothly. Still need to replace the smog pump with a pulley, and maybe new vacuum tubing.

- Have picked up a Trollhole Cruiser 2F carb. Will put that on next week. Hope to get some hard numbers from my stock carb desmogged vs the 2F carb(0-60 time, 40-60 pass in 4th, etc). The new carb is pretty and really simple looking. 1 vacuum hose connection for the dist.

- Building a drawer system in the back. Decided to go with the underbed tupperware boxes for the drawers so that I could just swap out the drawers based on needs (tailgating vs camping). Used 1/2" MDF for the frame. Looks good, need to secure it to the floor and decide if it needs a floor. Will build accompanying front platform this winter.

Look for pics in the near future as well as a new post with the writeup for the new carb.

I'm pumped to hear about the new carb! Let us know how it goes and make sure to post plenty of pics.

Great write up! Thanks for sharing your truck's progress. Keep up the great work.

Last edited:

About time I updated this info with some pics because we all know that
attachment.php

The muffler prior to install.
DSC07674.JPG

Here's a pic of the underside of the truck, had them change the routing to just behind the rear wheel. Now I don't have to worry about squishing it again.

IMG_3727.JPG

I went with 2.25" tubing, as the exhaust guys were certain that it would be too loud without the cat. Yeah, that's right, removed the cat at the same time. It was a 15 minute drive from work to the muffler shop, and they couldn't touch the cat because it was so hot. It made the skid plate too hot to handle.

The truck has a mean idle sound, I get asked all the time if it is a V8. At cruising speed, I can't hear the exhaust over the wind, tire, 2F noise. No internal cab resonance. Overall, I'm very happy with this muffler and setup. Plus the price was right, $30 from Summit.

Here's the money shot, the rear exit, and the sound clip, all in one handy dandy video.

The new carb was installed after the exhaust, but here is the writeup for that. Overall, it's been a very good mod, and it makes me want to drive the truck some more.

TrollHole Cruisers Carb Install on a 60

Here's the money shot, the rear exit, and the sound clip, all in one handy dandy video.

Your description and the video made me giggle a little this morning. That + coffee = I'm gonna have a great day!

Looking good. Now come up here and get mine running like that!

Sounds awesome! I really like the sound, probably because it sounds exactly like mine does!

Thrush

Sounds great! I've always had good luck with Thrush mufflers.

Your description and the video made me giggle a little this morning. That + coffee = I'm gonna have a great day!

Glad that I didn't disappoint.

Sounds awesome! I really like the sound, probably because it sounds exactly like mine does!

Sounds great! I've always had good luck with Thrush mufflers.

I was looking for something different than the typical Flowmaster sound. Very happy with the sound.

Long overdue update.

Back in August of 2009, I built a drawer system/platform for Bull. I used 1/2 MDF to keep it light, and rubbermaid under-bed boxes for simplicity. I installed some D-rings on the side to tie the box to the truck, and some rails and removable tie down points for the platform.

Here's how it came together:

IMG_3750.JPG

IMG_3751.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

The system worked great for the last year or so. Made a few wheeling trips with it, and tailgated with it, and it was amazing. Light enough to take out when I needed the whole cargo area.

However, there are some areas for improvement. I wish that I had made it with a platform for sleeping and did something different for the space between the box and the quarter panels. The under-bed boxes work well, just wish I had put a thin bottom on the box to ease the rolling of the drawers. Probably the most annoying thing is that the tie-down rails would get in the way and scratch things all the time.

Looks like I'll get a chance to rebuild these and make them right. Was helping a friend out by hauling 15 80lb bags of concrete a few weeks ago, and the MDF just split away. Damaged beyond repair.

Guess I'll be using cabinet grade plywood and try to recess the tie down rails into the surface. Also, this one will be built with some sleeping considerations as well. Going to get started on that in a few weeks. Hope to be quick about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom