bilstein/koni shock options and dimensions collected (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ats4x4dotcom said:
Ahhhhhhhhhh

two things here

You dont have our personal Aus part No for Bilstiens to suit 80 or 100

You dont have our custom bilstiens to suit 4" lift for 80 or 100

Bilstiens velocity controlled valving has a floating piston, so they are 20mm shorter stroke for the same length as other shocks, but the shock auto adjusts its valving dependent on piston speed, so you get the best shock fully loaded, empty, fast, or slow.

I used to use Koni, until i started using Bilstien 5 years ago.

well i have exactly what Bilstein Australia would give me. Thjey did not even hint at the existence of what you mention. If you have p/n#s or proven dimensions and valving specs, it would be great if you were willing to share it. Bilstein USA will make up custom shocks to order here if you know what you want. To be honest, given oz pricing I don't think there is any chance of selling your products direct to north americans for whom this post was prepared if you are a vendor.

One other comment. I'm not sure if you are a vendor, but I spent quite a lot of time looking at aussie vendor sites trying to find details. I've noticed that most aussie vendors are extremly stingy on their internet sites with actual part #s and dimensions for their suspension products. All they will give you is the final lift and some vague sounding ad copy about how good their stuff is. I guess that's the way it is done is australia but to me it is like buying magic beans.

semlin said:
well i have exactly what Bilstein Australia would give me. Thjey did not even hint at the existence of what you mention.

Well, I would say they simply gave you what you asked for.

semlin said:
If you have p/n#s or proven dimensions and valving specs, it would be great if you were willing to share it. Bilstein USA will make up custom shocks to order here if you know what you want.

Yeah, Ill just give you all our hard work, and let you get it copied :censor: :flipoff:

Are we a 4x4 business, yes, do we export, yes, did i take the time to answer your question on the possibilites, yes, was it the answer you wanted on your research,

it would appear not.......

ats4x4dotcom said:
Well, I would say they simply gave you what you asked for.

Yeah, Ill just give you all our hard work, and let you get it copied :censor: :flipoff: .

Why are you trying to pick a fight with me and run down the research I did? For a vendor, you are acting like a troll. It sounds like you have a useful product that would be of interest to folks here but I find I'm not really interested in getting past the attitude to find out about it.

I "asked" Bilstein Australia for any information they had about shocks for lifted 80s. Here is their response:

> We have no problems with 1477 & 1478 with 2 inch lift. These part
> numbers could be rerated or revalved for heavier equipment you carry. We
> have no specific part numbers for anything higher, they are custom made.
> Sorry I can't help, I would have thought Bilstein US could do
> something custom at reasonable prices.

So I took the advice there were "no specific part numbers" and the words "custom made" to mean there was nothing else but one offs. They didn't tell me there was such a thing as a "private part number" or hint at the existence of (or provide referals to) Bilstein vendors who do limited production runs like you. Funny, as it would have been in their interests to tell me.

So no, it appears they didn't tell me what I asked for. Nor could I have figured it out from you. Apart from a bilstein logo, your website tells me nothing whatever about your custom Bilstein shocks or even that they exist, and does not have an email inquiry contact. No one recommended or mentioned your company on the Oz 4x4 bulletin boards I went to (I searched the archives on "bilstein" and "koni", read all the posts, and then registered and asked questions). Your site did not and does not show up on a google australia search on "4x4" and "bilstein".

Also, if you don't want to share any technical information about your shocks, that is your prerogative, but this is a technical post in a technical forum about 80s so I asked because that's what I was obviously after and that is what posts here are supposed to contain. There is no need to get shirty. You chose to post here in tech, not me. If you just wanted to advertise the existence of your products there is a manufacturer's section to this forum.

I understand you are in a competitive environment in australia, but vendors in north america are too and they seem to be able to do business without holding their cards so close to their chest or being assholes. Good luck to you.

Man, well said Semlin

what a hassle to try to find alternatives to OME shocks...

I still want to give a try to the 1477/1478 Billys anyhow, but this I am not sharing because I don't want to lose any sales is ridiculous. I will try them with the 850/860 OME springs pretty soon.

You could have told us what they are, give us a decent price on it and we might have bought them from you, but not with that kind of attitude.

:beer:

semlin said:
Why are you trying to pick a fight with me and run down the research I did?

I thought this was the problem, given your attitude, when i replied, thats why I mentioned about it not being the answer you were looking for, sorry i couldnt pat you on the back, because your research wasnt complete, because something didnt come up on the net :rolleyes:

My post simply told you there were more options, what you do with that info is up to you, good luck with your research.

you "thought" wrong and reading my first reply again I don't see how you drew that inference. you might want to take a look at the chip on your own shoulder because it's weighing you down.

So ats4x4dotcom, how would someone go about getting more info about the shocks you are reffering to? Such as cost to get them here in the states. I just ordered a set of 4" springs and need to get some shocks to go along with them.

semlin said:
you "thought" wrong and reading my first reply again I don't see how you drew that inference. you might want to take a look at the chip on your own shoulder because it's weighing you down.

Just because you cant see it in your own post, doesnt mean it wasnt there, and your wording of your replies seems to work against what your trying to twist around here, no chips here, only shocks and other products.

Good luck with your research, hope you get it figured out before you purchase.

landtank said:
So ats4x4dotcom, how would someone go about getting more info about the shocks you are reffering to? Such as cost to get them here in the states. I just ordered a set of 4" springs and need to get some shocks to go along with them.

Easy,
email me

darren@ats4x4.com

ats4x4dotcom said:
Just because you cant see it in your own post, doesnt mean it wasnt there, and your wording of your replies seems to work against what your trying to twist around here, no chips here, only shocks and other products.

Good luck with your research, hope you get it figured out before you purchase.

bull****! you've read it again and realized you can't back up what you said. you just don't have the balls to apologize.

ats4x4dotcom said:
The defense rests, your honour...... :rolleyes:

What defence is that Darren? Good defence counsel will tell you that blustering and pretending the prosecution has a bad case and hoping the jury will buy it is a last resort strategy. I'm still waiting for you to back up your contention that my first post in reply to you justified your obnoxious insulting reply, and I have no doubt I'll be waiting forever.

how about you guys keep this outside, I don't think this is adding anything to the forum anymore...

semlin said:
What defence is that Darren? Good defence counsel will tell you that blustering and pretending the prosecution has a bad case and hoping the jury will buy it is a last resort strategy. I'm still waiting for you to back up your contention that my first post in reply to you justified your obnoxious insulting reply, and I have no doubt I'll be waiting forever.

Semlin, maybe you could change your screen name to Chubby Checker?

"twisten, twisten, twisten the thread away......."

Revive

Just an update on some Koni shocks after talking to Australian suppliers.
It appears the dimensions for the 90 series have changed to:

90-5389 622mm 388mm front (RAID)
90-5390 610mm 375mm rear (RAID)

As an alternative to the rear he suggested the shock for the 100 series

90-5398 624mm 393mm rear (RAID)

Not cheap mind you, approx $575 each AUS!

can u run bilsteins on stock height with 30mm spacers with stock springs??:flipoff2:
And will the bilsteins fit right on a stock height 80?

Last edited:
The bilstein 1477/1478 work well with stock height springs and up to a 50mm (2") lift.
30mm spacers on stock springs would have them right in the middle of their stroke.
After that they are a little short. I had them on a heavy duty 3" lift and the droop was only a couple of inches. I spaced the shock mounts down and added bumpstop extentions so that the shock was in the middle of its stroke when the cruiser was just 'sitting'.

You can have the billies rebuilt to add an extra 1" of travel to the shock using the same body, but they don't come that way.

They don't have as much extension as an OME shock or similar as they are a monotube.
However they damp much better over long distance corrugations as they can disperse heat much quicker, so are much more suitable for expedition rigs than a OME/Ironman/EFS design.

I had them on for 100,000km and they were still going strong, but I wanted more travel...:grinpimp:

So the replacement Bilstein's 1477 and 1478's can be used with the OME 2" lift? is there another type of spring you guys have been using to replace the OME 2" lift? looks like there are lost of places you can get the Bilstein's 4 all around for about 280 shipped.. sounds like a great price if you could find a set of 4 2" lift springs you could build something similar to the OME lift kit for 600 or so if you can get the springs for cheap?

ive read that ironman suspension springs are a lot better.. anybody have info on ironman suspension springs??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom