Big fat brake upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The other thing to check is the hoses, they swell slightly, when put under pressure, and this is where SS brake lines come into thier own, when100% of the fluid movement goes into stopping the car, pedal feel improves, pedal effort is reduced, and braking efficiency is also improved.

Run clean "cheap fluid" through the system until it becomes clean, before adding the synth fluid, and even blow them out with some compressed air.

And always leave the cap off as little as possible on the brake m/c as it is a moisture absorber, and buy small quantities of synth so you dont have it sitting on the shelf for 12 months, as it has a shelf life.

So what's the best way to flush the new brake fuild through the system?

I was thinking that if I just let the old fluid drain out that it will be harder to totally bleed the system. OR I could leave the bleeder value open on the rear and pump the pedal (keeping the master from getting empty) to empty into a pail on the floor and then repeat on all other wheels (& LSBPV).

Any suggestions how to easily flush the system. I'm probably doing this with my 14 year old son or my wife.

I was gonna first flush with new minerial fluid and then once it's clean run in the synth.

Riley

Riley I have a vacuum gauge/pump with brake bleeder attachment you can borrow. It will suck the fluid out pronto.

just to show ya that even Toy designers may not be perfect:
a mechanic buddy of mine told me that Toy is recalling Tundras cuz the brake was designed too small and is not doing the job. He said, IIRC, that it's costing Toy over $2K a pop...
:-\
E

>> Toy is recalling Tundras cuz the brake was designed too small <<

Please post the specific details of this recall.

-B-

don't know anything about it besides what I was told and repeated above. This is a Toy mechanic btw, so probably true...
E

Eric,
I prefer facts so I did a search and could not come up with anything that indicates that Toyota has recalled or is planning to recall Tundras because the brake system has a design flaw. The information may be true but how are we to know when it's just repeated from a "mechanic friend?"

It would be prudent to have a source of information if you are going to post something like this.

-B-

BW:
I identified my source of information when repeating the story. You can make your own mind as to the potential reliability of the source.
FWIW, he's a long-time Toyota dealer mechanic and owned a Tundra if I'm not mistaken.
'nuff said...
E

I don't see it listed as a "recall" but Alldata shows that Toy has issued technical bulletins at least once every year since 2000 regarding the Tundra's front and/or rear brakes. You can see the TB headlines for free on Alldata's DIY site, and most of the TBs refer to the brakes vibrating, but the January 2003 mentions a part component for identification (and I would assume, replacement).

When in doubt, look it up!

LT
8)

At present there is NO recall or more accurately "Special Service Campaign" on Tundra braking systems.

There are service bulletins relating to repair procedures for vehicles experiencing brake pulsations. Repairs of this type are handled on a case-by-case basis. Not all vehicles have pulsation issues.
Modifications include different front calipers (larger) and different rear drums (heavier).

D-

Don't anybody get a rock caught in one of those holes in the rotors.

True, Dan. I've been running the slotted / cross drilled (but not coated, as far as I know) for the last 40k or so....

.....until yesterday. Rock inbedded in a slot on one side, and a hole on the other. Had begun to notice pulsating / scraping after only 6k on a set of pads. Now have new OEMs on the front, and am considering replacing the (still good) rears.

LT,
I did look it up. A TSB is not a Toyota recall and a TSB does not indicate Toyota has identified a design flaw. That's what was claimed by E9999.

Do you have additional information supporting the alleged recall by Toyota? I really don't know whether or not there was an official recall but a Google search turned up nothing to support Eric's post.
-B-

well, given what the mechanic said, were I to own a Tundra, I sure as heck would look seriously into it. May be one of these "secret" recalls where they do it for free only if you ask nicely enough? Like this head affair on the V6s -or something like it-
whatever, I don't have a Tundra...
E

.... or a clue.

-B-

There is a 54 page discussion spanning two years (up to now) on Tundra Solutions message board, under the "Handling, Suspension, Brakes" section. I only read the first and last pages, but looks like there have been plenty of fixes, and replaced calipers (with larger calipers) etc. at no cost to the owner. Not quite a recall but pretty close, ie. replacing with different parts, 'cuz the original design seems to be failing. I think you have to register to view the forums.

So don't be so hard on e9999, Beo ;)

e9999 makes an inference that there is a "recall"
"Pretty close" does not a recall make.

As I mentioned earlier, at this time there is no SSC (recall) petaining to Tundra brakes. They are not "failing". Some vehicles exibit vibrations or pulsations when braking. It still stops, if un-pleasantly. Not all vehicles do it. Toyota has been working on the design of some of the components in an effort to find a complete cure. If I owned a Tundra that had no braking issues I would NOT mess with the brakes. This has been an illusive beast to capture.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=10809;start=msg106397#msg106397 date=1077062134]
.... or a clue.

-B-
[/quote]

[move][glow=red,2,300]Ring a Ding Ding!!![/glow][/move]

[clearthroat]Ahhhhhemmmmm[/clearthroat]

[tt]It appears we have a winner.[/tt]

:rolleyes:

whatever, yall enjoy yor Tundras brakes, ya hear!
(aaarghhh! was very hard to resist the call of the green man this time... :D)
E

BW -
Nope, I posted the web site (alldata) that listed the TSBs, and that's all the info I have on Tundras.

Of course technical service bulletins are not recalls. I never said they were.

LT

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=10809;start=msg106272#msg106272 date=1077047264]
LT,
Snip
Do you have additional information supporting the alleged recall by Toyota? I really don't know whether or not there was an official recall but a Google search turned up nothing
snip
-B-
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom