Bi-fold door parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ironpig4x4

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all. Newbie here, so my apologies if this question has been asked 100 times....

Anyway, I have a '65 (9/64) FJ40 with the corrugated top and bi-fold upper rear door. I obtained this 40 in 1994. The horizontal weatherstrip/seal (4 total) in the door was shot. At the time SOR still had these listed, but they were $135 each. Being a poor college student, I could not afford them and decided I'd wait until had the $$. Not long after that the weatherstrip was discontinued. Over the years, I've looked around for these and tried to research getting some made, but haven't been too successful. Now that I'm a member of mud, i'm hoping that maybe you guys have a source...or maybe there is enough of a need that we can make it worthwhile to have a small quantity of reporoduction seals made???

Thanks.

There is none as of now.

I was going to look into it and try and get the 4 pieces remanufactured but my latest addition to the family has pulled in most of my time. I'm sure there would be enough interest to cover a short run of them. If someone can do bug catch ws certainly these 4 pieces which are the same piece would be easy to extrude.

If you or anyone else is going to take it on i'm down for a set

Last edited:
I moved you out of the classifieds, just to get a little exposure. There are some threads kicking around where others have used some generic weatherstrip, might want to search for those.

If you had bought all the weather strip back then, you could have used the dollars now to finish paying off the student loans.......... :D

I was actually talking with someone about this just this morning. Seems there is a manufacture around here that makes all types of weather stripping, and he was able to use much of their stuff on a few of his cruisers. So, naturally I plan to drop in and see what they might be able to do for my bifold as well.

My seals are pretty dried out and ripped. Anyone have really good pictures of theirs?

Thanks for relocating my post....I'll eventually learn the ropes here....

I'll do some more searching around here on mud to see if I can find the threads you mentioned.

If anyone could provide some leads on companies that could extrude these, I'll start making some calls/emails to see what kind of deals I can find...

I disassembled my top and it's in storage in the loft of my shed right now. Should be able to get some pictures of the seals without much of a problem though. They are cracked and smashed, but there are some pieces that have short sections with intact cross sections that could be used to reproduce.....I'll have to wait until the weekend so I can take the pics when it is light. I'll post as soon as I can....

Here are some pics of my door and a x-section of the seal. I am going to send some pics and dimensions to some manufacturers and get some quotes. Looks like I'll need a minimum order of 250 feet. It will take around 10 feet per door. I'd probably take 25 feet to allow for two full replacements plus some extra.

As soon as I hear something back, I'll post some options and costs to see if I can get any commitments to buy.....
DSC06746.jpg
DSC06754.jpg
DSC06756.jpg

I'm probably in.

I think that piece needs to be half round vs oblong on the one end. I dunno if they can shape that piece or not.

I think the original shape was half-round, but the seal was compressed over the years and became oblonged. I'll try to find a piece that is in better shape for submitting to the manufacturers, if not, i'll explain to them that the equivalent half-round section would be satisfactory.

Also, based on some material selection tables that I found on one of the manufacturer's website, it appears that EPDM would be the appropriate material for this application. I'm not very knowlegeable about the various "rubber" types, so I appreciate any input on EPDM or any other material you guys think would work.

I'm in I am leaning more on keeping my unique high post pillar top now. I got ahold of LandCruiserSteve and he is sending the door pillar pieces to me. :grinpimp: Thanks for the tip on that Living In The Past I really appreciate it.

-Joe

I'd be in for a set as well, as i'm currently missing all of the seals for my bi-fold.

I'd be interested in enough for two complete sets.

So i did some digging around work this week to see who we buy bulb seal, weather stripping from, and we have three current suppliers:
Clean Seal - Clean Seal, Inc.
Trim-Lok - Trim Lok - #1 Source for Plastic and Rubber Trims and Seals
Uni-Grip - 2005 Index

We do have the cleanseal p/n 2828B but don't know if it would work, it's just a D-seal, but has the 3M adhesive tape on the back. It might squish into the channel, not sure...

Unfortunately my bi-fold door is buried and in-accesible, probably tell spring.

The Cleanseal p/n that looks real tempting however is #2658, which is available in the EPDM or a "Dense" version which may be better. looks real close just doesn't have as large of a "foot".

Hope I helped:cheers:
Ames

Sent sample sections to two manufacturers today. Sent requets for quotes to four, had two reply with interest....I'll post details as soon as I hear back from them.

Since the PO modified my top (added windows to the corners of the corrugated sides), I'm not set on having the horizontal seals for the bi-fold in a factory configuration. Closing in the channels and using a D-seal attached with adhesive is an attractive option if the reproduction seals turn out to be too expensive....

Figured out how to show the pics off their website:
the one we use:
691-2828b.gif

The one that looks closer to OEM:
2658.gif

maybe this will help?
door-seal.jpg
door-seal.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom