Best way to get RTT up on the roof? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen a few ways to mount a RTT that involved wooden platforms and pullies, even a fork lift, but check out the guy's method in this video:

Is it really that easy?

This, coupled with Phils method...

Awhile ago I had found a video of a guy using a modified jib crane/engine hoist mounted to his receiver hitch on his FJC to lower the tent on and off. Damned if I can find it now though.

▲Seems like a lot of work.▲

With my new set up it never comes off
thumb.gif

Holy crap, that last video is an all day affair. I spend to 2 minutes lifting it on the truck like the first video posted. I can appreciate the effort that went into making that video and for providing a solution but that takes way more time than it needs to.

I'm liking that idea of a hitch mount apparatus.

Like this but taller:

And it's only $100

51x5TvZz1wL.jpg

All the effort I've seen here, could have made friends with the neighbor and had it done in 5 minutes.

I'd probably have to go with a ramp that hooks on the rack and a come along if I couldn't get it up there solo.

I did it solo with my '06 TLC and a Baroud grand raid by backing the truck up to it while it was leaned up against a wall. Put a thick blanket on the TLC, leaned the RTT against the truck and just slid it up and on to the rack. Hardest part is bolting it down!

I do my heavy roofrack (more potential for damage to roof) with a wire rope slung between 2 trees and a come along or chain hoist. Can be done with RTT too. Easy enough when by myself...

I did it solo with my '06 TLC and a Baroud grand raid by backing the truck up to it while it was leaned up against a wall. Put a thick blanket on the TLC, leaned the RTT against the truck and just slid it up and on to the rack. Hardest part is bolting it down!

Yeah that's what I keep hearing. What are the hard parts of doing this and what's the best way to do it, if any?

I'm putting it on a front runner slimline 2 rack with, presumably, the slightly elevated FR tent mounts.

The Baroud tents have, AFAIR, 13mm nuts that go underneath the rack, so with my Rhino Rack, there was little room between the rack and the roof. The guys at OK4WD, threw in one of those flat ratchet wrenches that made it MUCH easier to use in the small space. The only thing I noted after having removed the RTT and rack was that I scratched the clearcoat on the roof when using the wrench so make sure to clean everything prior to bolting the RTT down. It's really not that much of a hassle- just more hassle than getting it up in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom