Best spot to mount brake controller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got my Prodigy mounted under the dash on the very left side of the center console.

Nice mounting of the trailer plug. I didn't have the stones to cut the cross member so this is my solution.
The bolts go into the pintle hitch mounts.
It is mounted off center only so that the backup camera is dead center for backing up to a trailer.

Since this pic was taken I have repainted the block mounting bolts and the stock receiver .

I actually thought about doing something like that too, but figured what the heck, I'll just drill it. :cheers:

Nice idea with the camera. :cool:

Have a Prodigy too. Seems to work just fine.
I mounted it above the left knee.

I ran the wires from the battery etc and finished them off with spade connectors. 2 different sizes, 2 different directions. I mounted the opposites on the wires from the controller. So I can move the controller between the trucks simply by plugging it back into the spades. Not as clean as buying an extra Prodigy connector, but cheaper.

My other "tow rig" is my 84 hilux. I don't think I'll ever tow anything with trailer brakes with it, so I'm fine with the prodigy being permanent. :cheers:

I was gonna suggest the ashtray slot.

I have to say having seen it done, the CB looks better there.

The best solution?

Wheel the 80.

Tow with a 5.7 Tundra.

It's prewired, 7 pin already mounted and has a slot under the tow/haul button that fits my controller perfectly.

I really don't like them in my knee area, especially in the 80 where underdash is at a premium

Thanks for the info on the extra pig tail and plug. Here's my trailer plug location.

IMG_3552.jpg

I was gonna suggest the ashtray slot.

I have to say having seen it done, the CB looks better there.

The best solution?

Wheel the 80.

Tow with a 5.7 Tundra.

It's prewired, 7 pin already mounted and has a slot under the tow/haul button that fits my controller perfectly.

I really don't like them in my knee area, especially in the 80 where underdash is at a premium

When it ends up as my wheeler, I'll buy a new controller for the tow rig, leave this one in the 80 just in case I need to tow something heavy with it.

If I ever want a CB, I'll get one of these.
75wxst.jpg

The 5.7 tundra is in the future if she has it her way. :D

75wxst.jpg

When you get one of those, be sure to pick up one of this

When you get one of those, be sure to pick up one of this

Cool, Thanks...

On another note, today is the day that I wire everything up. I haven't touched it since I installed the controller & trailer connector. I'll be sure to take more pics. :D

I bought the wire yesterday from napa ended up getting 12ga... Couldn't find a good source of wire... I wanted to use 10ga, everyplace I went only had 10 ga in 10 foot lengths. :confused: 12ga comes in 20' lengths..

The Prodigy instructions says use at least 12ga

I also want to keep the colors the same, I could have bought a 100' roll of red 10ga for $35..... Maybe I'm being a little anal?

I think I'll make a run down to West Marine this morning and see what they offer.... I'm sure they will be more expensive, but this is something I DON'T want to skimp on.

And the adventure continues. :D

I started with finding the stop light switch, unplugging the plug so I could try to access it. It is a real pain in the ass. Being a contortionist would be a plus when you do this.

I just cut back about ½" of the insulation on the green wire with white tracer, split the wire I was splicing wrapped it and soldered it.

This is a generic pic I found on the internet showing the "splice"
splice1.jpg

Here's mine. :rolleyes:

PICT0004-14.jpg

I bought this distribution block at West Marine. Saw someone else use it here in the 80 section. Looks alot cleaner than hooking everything to the battery stud.
PICT0007-11.jpg

PICT0006-13.jpg

I fused the "aux" power that goes back to the trailer connector. This lead charges the batteries while you drive.
PICT0008-12.jpg

Last edited:
Here's where I went through the firewall. Just cut a slit in the plug.

PICT0009-12.jpg

I connected all the wires to the Prodigy™ then ran the Aux power and brake power wires back beside the main wiring harness that runs to the rear. It was pretty easy, just had to pop off alot of plastic trim. I had a piece of flex loom that I used by the rear seat where the wires went under the drivers side rear seat belt retractor. The metal was sharp right there and I don't want a short!

PICT0010-13.jpg

I ran the wires in the void space where the jack is. I took the jack and jack mount out so I could run the wires out. I ran the wires down and out where the moonroof drain is on the drivers side. The "boot" stretched easy enough to allow the wires pass through. This pic is under the rig looking up.

PICT0012-7.jpg

Here's the back side of the trailer connector. The pic was taken right after I got all the wires spliced together. I still need to zip tie them all up so it's neat and clean. The purple wire is for reverse lights. I don't have reverse lights on the camping trailer, so it is not hooked up, but all the others are.

PICT0015-8.jpg

I waited to hook the positive lead to the battery 'till I had everything else hooked up... and double/triple checked everything!
I plugged the lead in and the prodigy™ came to life :grinpimp:

PICT0005-11.jpg

I took it out for the maiden voyage to check the brakes.

The instructions said to set the gain at 6, drive 25 mph and slide the manual brake override lever over all the way. If the brakes lock up, turn it down. If the brakes don't lock up, turn it up. They're supposed to be set so when the manual override is slid all the way, the brakes are just on the verge of locking up.

I'm going to have to do some driving on the freeway and around town to get the feel of pulling something this big & also to get used to the brakes. They worked great on my short trip around the block, but I will definately need to get used to the different feel. :)

Camping trip next weekend!

great job

are you going to add some extension mirrors? i have been pondering this with my boat (8 foot beam). i hate the idea.

great job

are you going to add some extension mirrors? i have been pondering this with my boat (8 foot beam). i hate the idea.

Thanks. :cheers:

Funny, I was telling my wife just this afternoon that we need to look into the mirrors. If you decide on getting a set, let me know how you like them. :D

The trailer is 8' wide also.

It's going to be a real pain in the ass to back this thing up. :rolleyes:

And the adventure continues. :D

I started with finding the stop light switch, unplugging the plug so I could try to access it. It is a real pain in the ass. Being a contortionist would be a plus when you do this.

:D...Sounds familiar

The splice looks nice...IIRC I took the easy way out and used one of those "quick lock" or "scotch lock" connectors. Either way, a total PITA because you have so little room to work and so little wire to work with.

Everything else looks real nice and clean. I used the same firewall grommet and put wire loom on everything except for some of the inside wiring runs. As for using the correct color wire...I must be anal too then 'cuz that is what I did. I also had some challenges tracking down the right gauge and color wire and ended up getting some at Radio Shack and some at Checkers. In the end though, red is red, black is black, and so on. NO guessing what is what down the road which is a real PITA on my 40 with its hodge podge of PO and PPO wiring.

Last edited:
When it ends up as my wheeler, I'll buy a new controller for the tow rig, leave this one in the 80 just in case I need to tow something heavy with it.

75wxst.jpg

I have had it for almost two years now - it went progressively bad last year :mad: now I can't even get the volume cranked up enough to hear anythig beyond static :crybaby:

outgoing voice comes out fine for other people :confused:

Val, you're right. Soldering the brake lead is the suck. Actually, pulling the molex connector is the suck, the soldering part isn't as bad.

I will also be interested to see, after you get everything wired up if you have parking/running lights on your trailer. I installed a brake controller and the Hoppy 7-pin adapter back in April. My LX already had a 4-pin connector that I plugged into the Hoppy. All my lights work except for the parking/running lights which means I cannot trailer at night. I've wondered if it is because my existing 4-pin plug has a ground wire on it but the 4-pin on the Hoppy adapter doesn't have a ground on the 4-pin part, just an overall ground wire (big white one with the ring terminal) :confused:

Hoppy says it shouldn't matter but...

I noticed the Hoppy had the ground blocked out where it connects on the pigtail. I will definately let you know if I have the same problem that you do.

Valentine,

What was the end result for you when you wired everything up? Did you end up with working running/parking lights?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom