Best Power Steering Pump for an 80 with 35's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will Toyota OEM power steering pump handle 35's and last when wheeling and deep snow, etc?

I see all sorts of alternatives mentioned in the forums.

I just want to replace it and know it will last. Blew out a rebuilt NAPA in like 6 months. New OEM, rebuilt OEM, what do you guys running 35's suggest? Thanks! David.

Last edited:
Oem is always best. Foo uses the advanced auto parts lifetime warranty unit and just put one in Josh’s car also; however I don’t mind replacing every few years for free.

Oem is always best. Foo uses the advanced auto parts lifetime warranty unit and just put one in Josh’s car also; however I don’t mind replacing every few years for free.
Thanks boss man. I wanted to make sure I was not overlooking a better option. I'll youtube the install. I thought it was a PITA to do, but maybe I'm wrong. Would you use a rebuilt Toyota pump or should I buy a brand new one if they are even still available? Again, thanks.

Last edited:
One big bolt 22mm? on long extension on high pressure line, 10/12 mm on other input line from under the car. 2 bolts holding it in .. best to pull oil filter for access, then it is out. swap out the gear and key and plop in the new one. should be about an hour.

k

One big bolt 22mm? on long extension on high pressure line, 10/12 mm on other input line from under the car. 2 bolts holding it in .. best to pull oil filter for access, then it is out. swap out the gear and key and plop in the new one. should be about an hour.

k
Well that doesn't sound bad at all. I will report back my friend. Most appreciated! D

Anyone have an OEM ps pump for sale in need of rebuild that I can rebuild and use on my 80?

New at Molle with discount is $326.19. And brand new is a nice thing, but still. Ouch. Toyotapartsdeal.com is $289.00. Joe Machens Toyota in Columbia is $407.74. Double Ouch. Dealing with Molle is great. Machens has good parts staff but greedy owners it seems. No discount. And on some parts they charge above retail. Just sharing prices for future reference.
Toyota Part No.: 44320-60182

Last edited:
You can run 35's just fine with it. However, the stock pump will run a hydraulic winch fairly slow. It would be interesting to see if anyone is willing to port one of these out for better GPM. As for the price, $300 and your probably not going to mess with that thing for 10 years minimum, if ever.

You can run 35's just fine with it. However, the stock pump will run a hydraulic winch fairly slow. It would be interesting to see if anyone is willing to port one of these out for better GPM. As for the price, $300 and your probably not going to mess with that thing for 10 years minimum, if ever.
10 years sound good to me since my OEM blew, then went through two NAPA units and 2nd is out now. Talk about groaning. (The pump I mean) LOL. Thanks all! OEM it is. And let me also say NAPA is my favorite parts supplier. Great staff and quality products like their premium bearings. But the PS Pump just didn't cut it. And past the 1 year warranty. This was not a bash of NAPA. Thanks.

Last edited:
New at Molle with discount is $326.19. And brand new is a nice thing, but still. Ouch. Toyotapartsdeal.com is $289.00. Joe Machens Toyota in Columbia is $407.74. Double Ouch. Dealing with Molle is great. Machens has good parts staff but greedy owners it seems. No discount. And on some parts they charge above retail. Just sharing prices for future reference.
Toyota Part No.: 44320-60182

Agree, Machens' parts staff have been helpful but their pricing is so much higher I don't even check there anymore.

One hour 37 minutes start to finish. At the local Honda dealership. My son and I. Pretty easy really. Thanks 2FPower for your support and advice. I am PS Pump groan, moan and leak free. The Lucas oil had burnt to hard chunks. Thanks again bossman. Much appreciated! David.

I need to replace mine too. Anyone made any videos on how to do a rebuild?
Sounds like these pumps have a problem with lasting very long
(I have 96 FZJ80)
Makes me not want to buy a new one

OEM's last a long time is my impression. Mine went 180,000+. Only when I replaced my old leaky OEM with a reman (to save $100) did it fail quickly. After speaking to my local parts manager last week he said they had many issues with those rebuilt pumps on multiple vehicles not just cruisers. They now sell only new non-OEM branded pumps. Lots of folks on here can tell you how difficult and long it takes to rebuild one. Most say it's not bad at all. I had no OEM core to rebuild. And if I did, I might have bought a new OEM anyway for peace of mind not wondering if I did each step of the pump rebuild properly. That's just me and I'm not the mechanic many of the members here are. (And did I mentioned I was stupid enough to buy a reman versus OEM to save mere $100.00? That was not my smartest decision ever.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom