Best PM Schedule post 100K and Anyone use software for tracking repairs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tmoore41

95 LC, 94 LC, 01LX470 Newbie
SILVER Star
Threads
I feel like I probably missed this somewhere in previous post or FAQ. I've been searching MUD for over an hour and have not had a ton of luck yet. If I have please forgive me and point me in right direction.

I have the owner manual for my 95 and the FSM, so I have a pretty good idea on PM. I have read 80% of the FAQ so I know a few more things that are typically done, and have seen awesome write ups on how to do them. My question is does anyone have a "suggested" PM schedule for post 100K. Everything from fluids to wheel hubs, etc. I am trying to get organized, and now that I have three vehicles ranging from 10 to 50 years old, I would like to put together a thorough suggested PM list for each one. Not looking for anything too complicated as far as instructions (all of that is already in FAQ or other threads). Just the basic - Do this every 5K, Do this every 15K, Check this at 120K or every 60K, Change this at around 140K, etc.

Also I am considering using a software program to track maintenance, repairs, parts, and accessories for all three vehicles. I was thinking of just making an excel spreadsheet, but if someone has already created the wheel for reasonable price I figured I might try it. We have large equipment fleet at work (no vehicles) and I am considering doing this for my work fleet too. There are several options on the market for fleet applications but they are pretty darn expensive. If I can use it for work and home that may be the route I go, but I dont think I need to get that complex. I did find this one: The ORIGINAL CAR Care Automotive Software :: Car Maintenance Software :: Vehicle Maintenance Software but I am not in love with it yet.

Plus I recently purchased engagement ring and now I am broke - I cant afford to miss any PM.....

This is my method, but there is likely better; this works for me:

I have a Gallon Zip Loc that I keep in glovebox or in back pocket of front seat. It has all receipts from work done by others, or I cut out the part number off box of part when installing and write date and mileage.
Also have a small notebook for notes. Its nothing fancy.

Changed Brake Fluid 11-10-15 198K

This way information is always with Vehicle. Once you have the habit your set for life.
When you go to sell something and pull out all the history it puts people at ease knowing you cared for it.
I have standard intervals for most things and a quick check in the notebook tells me that coolant is ready every 5 yrs and brake fluid every 10.
I don't have a reminder in my calendar, but you easily could

As far as the engagement ring...

Thursday%20funny_zpsswvapk7g.jpg

Thats what mine currently is. Problem is I struggle to keep anything organized. Hoping the computer might help... Hornd - nice pic *!@@#

What are your intervals?

I've used this software for many years: Cars page. Simple to install, use and is free,

Seals I run till they leak
Oil 7K or 1 yr
Coolant 5 yrs
Brake Fluid 10 yrs
Tranny Fluid (When it no longer is transparent or smells funny or burnt)
Washable Air Filter
Battery about every 5-6, I just change
Spark Plugs every 100K, check wire resistance then
Power Steering (when it looks bad, ATF in Cruiser)

CARS is very simple and easy to use. Thanks for the recommendation. I added the info for all of my vehicles. Not as detailed or as many options as the some of the ones available for purchase - but simple is better for me. I am working on the PM schedule which I will post back later

Here is one possible PM schedule for post 100K. Obviously a ton of variables and opinions on each item. Just curious if anything seems totally wrong or missing. I tried to take info from FAQ, Owner manual, forums, and my experience. Assumed mostly easy driving with some off-road at least every two to three weeks. Also assumed OEM fluids.

View media item 37680

Attachments

• Possible PM schedule.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I have been using Road Trip on my iPhone for the last 4 years to track everything on all of our cars. It works awesome and is a steal at $7 or what ever they charge now. Best part is that it auto syncs to my drop box, so everything is backed up and the file is viewable in excel if you want.

I also keep a 3-ring binder with every paper receipt as well. When I die and my kids will have a very well documented Land Cruiser

I have binders for each of my cars, Oldest receipts in the back newest up front, I write down the mileage, date and what the service was if its not evident on the receipt. I've found this method to be much better than bulking receipts into a bag or whatever. Buyers love to have a binder they can flip through and see the service history, in fact it has allowed me to negotiate above ($500 to $1500) KBB on multiple flips.

@tmoore41 has a good list generated although a lot of the items for major service do not need to be replaced as indicated as they usually will last much longer than 30 or 60k miles. Now if you never want to ever have an issue with your cruiser then do them, for me personally however I will replace when they fail as to me it is more cost effective.

Also brake fluid should be flushed every time you do your brakes. 2 years is the longest you should let it go, as the fluid is hygroscopic it will degrade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The intervals are probably a little close especially on the some of the more routine (i.e change every 5K could be more like 7.5K and 10K could easily switch to 12 or 15K). The bigger stuff would probably be more as needed. Just trying to get a "general" plan of attack. Lots have mentioned synthetics which would change things as well.

Yea not saying the intervals are bad just saying some may never need to replace their fuel filters ect.
I noticed fuel filter wasn't even listed in owners manual - just took a stab at that one. Posting schedule from owners manual momentarily in case any one wants them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom